shtick to reconcile

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 06:44 pm
shtick to reconcile = stick to reconcile ?

Context:
Jones's genius as an ideological entrepreneur was to mine white liberal anxiety -- they are quite aware of their own NIMBY hypocrisy -- by selling them the "green jobs" shtick to reconcile class/racial guilt with environmental enthusiasm, thus making them feel better about themselves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 677 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:10 pm
@oristarA,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtick

Quote:
A shtick (Yiddish: שטיק) (or schtick) is a comic theme or gimmick.

Quote:
Because of its roots in comedy and showbusiness, the word shtick has a connotation of a contrived and often-used act"something done deliberately, but perhaps not sincerely.

For this reason, journalists and commentators often apply the word disparagingly to politicians and their positions, such as the Village Voice's reference to a perceived change in Rudy Giuliani's position ("Rudy Adopts New Shtick"[1]) or Slate.com's subtitle for a criticism of presidential candidate Mitt Romney's presentation of his Mormonism ("Mitt Romney's Clumsy Mormon Shtick"[2]).

Reviews or critiques of artistic or journalistic works have also used the word in this manner, usually to imply a shallow repetitiveness in the work of the reviewed, such as New York Magazine calling the White Stripes' 2007 Canadian tour a "one-note shtick".

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:13 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
by selling them the "green jobs" shtick to reconcile class/racial guilt with environmental enthusiasm, thus making them feel better about themselves.

Making them feel better by telling them something* that would allow them to reconcile what they were doing with what they thought was right.

(something = the "green jobs" shtick in this example)

oristarA

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 07:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you all.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:43 pm
When there are Yiddishisms in standard English articles, who is the author writing for? Not just Jews, I believe. I wonder if the target audience is then a certain class of urban Gentile that would understand the foreign term?

In the New York Times, the other day, there was a lead article about the air bases that we have in Iraq, even after the combat troops leave. Referring to a part of the base where local merchants can sell items, a word used in the article was "tschotkes" (pronounced, chachkeys). I may have now misspelled it; however, the meaning is like knick-knacks or doo-dads in English (assorted trinkets, perhaps). This was very strange to see, since this is not the type of word I would expect in the NYT; too esoteric a Yiddish word, I thought.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:49 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
too esoteric a Yiddish word, I thought.
it's about as mainstream as verklempt these days

~~~~

the original editorial was published in JWR ... link - they expect their readers to know their Yiddish
Foofie

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:26 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foofie wrote:
too esoteric a Yiddish word, I thought.
it's about as mainstream as verklempt these days

~~~~

the original editorial was published in JWR ... link - they expect their readers to know their Yiddish

I had to Google that word. I know only a few Yiddish words. My mother used it as a secret language with her sister, when I was around, as a child. I was raised on standard English. Yiddish was something old folks knew. I think it will eventually die out, other than for the Chassidim, possibly using it. But, I think Hebrew will replace Yiddish as a Jewish language in the future. Meanwhile, English is my language thank goodness.
0 Replies