Please improve this rhetorically and grammatically

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 10:18 pm
Knowing that we are not so different after all is vital important to realize what is reality.

I respect everyone, including you, who knows who he/she is. But if there is someone who labels or is labeled as great leader will get to be humiliated for being untrue. Especially Mao, the major culprit of China's poverty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 644 • Replies: 5
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 11:14 pm
/this is really gonna take a lot of work, because whatever it is you're trying to say is just not making it through into English. I really am not sure what point you're trying to make.

MAYBE something like this:

"I respect people who know, and know accurately, who and what they really are. But some people think of themselves as great, as leaders, and even much of the world may agree with them. But ultimately they are humiliated when it turns out they aren't great. That describes Mao TseTung, the creator of Chinese poverty."

That's my best guess. I may be completely wrong. As usual, we need much more context and detail to get at what you're attempting to convey.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 11:17 pm
The first sentence deals in such vague generalities it is hard to make it make sense. Its connection to the rest of the passage is also obscure, at least to me.
oristarA

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
Please take a look at this one:

Bill Clinton says in the dedication paper of his My Life:

" And to the memory of my grandfather, who taught me to look up to people others looked down on, because we're not so different after all. "
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:26 pm
It's not the first half of your sentence that doesn't mean much. It's the second half.
oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:12 am
@MontereyJack,
I cannot understand why the second half is obscure.

I rewrite the second half:
I respect everyone, including you, who knows he/she is just as ordinary as the neighbors next door . But, if someone wants to label himself/herself or to be labeled as great leader, he/she will get to be humiliated for being untrue. Especially Mao Zedong, the major culprit of China's poverty, who was exclaimed as great leader while more than 3 million Chinese people were starved to death during the days of a bumper harvest under his leadership.

Is it now clearer, please?
0 Replies