THE WISDOM OF ARMING IN SELF DEFENSE

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 03:52 am
THE WISDOM OF ARMING IN SELF DEFENSE

On another thread,
http://able2know.org/topic/135832-13#post-3749878
DrewDad offered some information that I deem questionable,
in support of the proposition that one is less safe if he arms himself (or herself?) in self defense.

In order to avoid the criticism of hi jacking off topic someone else's thread,
I now begin this thread to host that discussion,
if he desires to pursue it, and/or to abide the contributions
of any poster who wishes to be heard on this topic.

For the same reasons that one carries a spare tire in his trunk,
he shoud also carry a defensive gun.

Carrying a spare tire does not make it more likely that u will get a flat.

As always, not only DrewDad,
but anyone and everyone is welcome to participate.

David

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:31 am
David wrote:
Carrying a spare tire does not make it more likely that u will get a flat.

Yeah, but don't tell the girl that just had her manicure finished to change the tire..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:35 am
@Francis,

Yeah; better to use AAA.

Do u have AAA in France ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:43 am

For groundrules of this discussion (if there IS one),
this will be an off-the-cuff conversation. Its not worth it to me
to go researching proof of facts; too labor intensive n I am too lazy.
The judiciary is already giving me my way,
so I need not convince anyone of anything.

Therefore, its OK for anyone on either side
to refer to his own memory in support of facts, tho that binds no one.
We are not going to vote on this as we do in November.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
We do have similar..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Ok, here's what I think: The statistics DrewDad posted are probably correct and accurate as reflected by the general population. However, I would point out that owning, using and maintaining a gun responsibly is not something which everyone is capable doing. The statistics reflect the fact that a high percentage of the general population are not very good owners for various reasons (a lot of people are morons).

Bottom line for me is that if you want to be a responsible owner, learn how to shoot, protect your gun carefully and learn to react with discipline, I suspect you would not fit into the standard statistical model for firearm accidents, and the benefits might outweigh the risks.

Even though I'm not a "gun nut", I still think people should be allowed to own guns if they choose.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:58 am
@rosborne979,
HELLER needs to be reinterpreted by a reasonable court. Even the Commonwealth of Pa's right to gun ownership is not unlimited. And Pa is one of the most liberal for gun trade.

If youre a convisted felon in PA, youve given up any rights and , the limitations to purchase and types have been continuously introduced by the legislators who are notNRA or gun manufacturer whores.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:04 am
when the Lady Diane and I were in europe a few years ago and first met Thomas Lady Diane expressed to Thomas that she believed gangs in the US should be forced to take gun training to improve their accuracy so that innocent bystanders would less often be victims allowing for more gangbangers to shoot each other.
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
@dyslexia,
Always being practical. Reminds me of how to prevent airline hijackings=ARM EVERYONE ON BOARD.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 11:45 am
Quote:
Its not worth it to me

This is a short way of saying, 'I don't care what you say, I am going to insist that I am correct.'

Without the basis of factual argument to rely upon, all we have is opinion exchange; and that's boring, leads to circular arguments, and is unproductive. Stop being so lazy and look up actual facts to support your arguments!

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

HELLER needs to be reinterpreted by a reasonable court.
Even the Commonwealth of Pa's right to gun ownership is not unlimited. And Pa is one of the most liberal for gun trade.

If youre a convisted felon in PA, youve given up any rights and , the limitations to purchase and types have been continuously introduced by the legislators who are notNRA or gun manufacturer whores.
Did u read HELLER ?
To WHAT in the decision do u object ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

when the Lady Diane and I were in europe a few years ago and first met Thomas Lady Diane expressed to Thomas that she believed gangs in the US should be forced to take gun training to improve their accuracy so that innocent bystanders would less often be victims allowing for more gangbangers to shoot each other.
Yes; we 'll teach accurate shot placement along with math, geografy n fonetic spelling.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Its not worth it to me

This is a short way of saying, 'I don't care what you say, I am going to insist that I am correct.'

Without the basis of factual argument to rely upon, all we have is opinion exchange; and that's boring, leads to circular arguments, and is unproductive. Stop being so lazy and look up actual facts to support your arguments!

Cycloptichorn
No; its tedious n boring to go chasing statistics.
Arguing what is right or rong is less labor intensive.
We gain nothing by convincing one another.
The judiciary makes the decisions,
based on what jurisdiction government has or lacks.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Always being practical.
Reminds me of how to prevent airline hijackings=ARM EVERYONE ON BOARD.
Do u deny that woud work ?
It woud be impossible for a terrorist to get control of a plane.

David
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:24 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
The statistics reflect the fact that a high percentage of the general population are not very good owners for various reasons (a lot of people are morons).

Interesting. The choice to keep a gun could be considered a type of intelligence test, then.

Think of it as evolution in action.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, it would guarantee well armed terrorists on board. Remember, the advantage is to the one who is ready to use the gun, and the fastest draw in the world is the gun that is already in the hand.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

And how many shootings would there be?

I frequently read of passengers that had to be restrained because they got drunk and disorderly, or were mentally unstable and tried to open the door in flight.

Let's give 'em guns, too!
farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Did u read HELLER ?
I did, as well as Stevens And Breyers dissenting opinions and the 2nd Amendment is seemingly held prisoner by the majority's leanings. I know that its not over and as civilization proceeds, we shall have some sorts of limits on 2A.

HELLER seems to forrget about PA's guidance from our own constitution and , by voting HELLER the way the USSC did, there appears to be some potential conflict (in my mind at least).
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:48 pm
How many highjackings of American planes have there been since 9/11? None, I think. How many of those none involved guns? None? Trust David to come up with a solution that's worse than the non-problem.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

farmerman wrote:

Always being practical.
Reminds me of how to prevent airline hijackings=ARM EVERYONE ON BOARD.

I'm picturing a plane in flight suddenly riddled with bullet holes from hundreds of panicked passengers who saw a "creepy looking guy" with something in his hand.

Nothing like a giant pressurized flying tin can full of panicky unpredictable people for an entertaining end to a long trip.