What verb to use for putting a visa card into a reading machine?

fansy

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:02 pm
I need a verb for describing the action of putting a visa card into a machine to have the required amount of money deducted or recorded of a purchase, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 706 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:06 pm
@fansy,
fansy wrote:

I need a verb for describing the action of putting a visa card into a machine to have the required amount of money deducted or recorded of a purchase, etc.

Swipe

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:43 pm
"Scan" or "run" work too but "swipe" is probably best.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:24 pm
@fansy,
Like Boomerang says, "swipe" is the most common term. You should be aware that "swipe" is also a colloquialsim meaning to steal something. When the front desk clerk in a motel tells you he is going to swipe your card, keep an eye on him.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:41 pm
One inserts the card into the slot in order for it to dispense.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 12:23 am
@fansy,
One "inserts" a card into a machine so that it may be "read".

roger

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 12:57 am
@contrex,
One "swipes" one's card to complete a transaction. One may insert one's card into an ATM machine; for credit card transactions, one "swipes" it. There is usually nothing in which to insert it, other than ATM machines.
Francis

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 01:06 am
@roger,
This seems to be more a difference in technology than in semantics.

Around here, you insert a card almost everywhere, while in the US you swipe the card.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 02:02 am
@Francis,
Well, your way certainly sounds more honest!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:48 am
One more to weigh in saying that "to swipe" is the most likely candidate among North Americans. Putting a card into a slot and then waiting for the card to be returned to you would be to insert it, but that's not the kind of card reader one encounters when using a debit card, or making any ordinary purchase around here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Well, that's how most card readers work here - for getting money (with your bank/debit card) or in shops, restaurants etc (with any card).

There are a few where you "swipe" it resp. where it is swiped.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:18 am
Many of these devices are known as "dip" readers; it's kind of an industry term, though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:30 am
We got both kinds.

country and western
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:34 am
The last company for which i was the business manager did security equipment and systems--sales, installation and service. I started as a laborer, and took over the business management when the "secretary" (a courtesy title in her case) left, and it was obvious that good business management was needed. I've installed literally hundreds of card readers (many times, all of us went on the job, including the owner, to get the job done, especially if there were a completion bonus).

Many institutions, especially banks, want the the card reader to "injest" the card, so that it can be retained if there is a report of theft of the card, or if there is a basis to suspect fraud. These machines will also retain the card if it is damaged or the magnetic stripe gives a reading of having been altered.

The most common readers are the ones in which one swipes one's card--for debit cards, credit cards used as a debit card, for time management systems (many businesses now use card readers as time clocks in conjunction with employee id cards), for controlled access (hospitals will use this with employee id cards for access to drug cabinets or controlled wards such a neo-natal or psychiatric), and if the company is large enough they are even used for access to normal supply rooms in the attempt to reduce pilferage.

There are also proximity readers, at which one need only wave one's card. These are most often used in controlled access areas which are also relatively high traffic. The best way to employ them is to put them at the end of a narrow hallway at the end of which is the controlled entrance and the proximity reader. People wishing to enter are thereby lined up one at a time, and with the proximity reader can quickly and easily enter, while in the security control center a good image of each person approaching the door can be obtained.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:28 am
Quote:
I've installed literally hundreds of card readers (many times, all of us went on the job, including the owner, to get the job done, especially if there were a completion bonus).

Set, I'm interested why you used the plural form 'were' with a singular delayed subject a completion bonus?
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:29 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Set, I'm interested why you used the plural form 'were' with a singular delayed subject a completion bonus?

I could care less why you're deluded enough to think it's any of your business....
JTT

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 09:34 am
@DrewDad,
Of course it's my business, DD. Language is the business I'm in.
0 Replies