lip service

fansy

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:33 pm
Quote:
Inviting 100 million Chinese to go to the US for dinner, this is simply incredulous. Putting aside the question whether this American gentleman is rich enough to do so or not, just ask the US embassy visa officers: at what time will they sign visas for 100 million Chinese people? This is typical of American brag: they bombast without ever giving a damn about the likelihood of ensnaring themselves in the end. I asked some Americans about this and they told me that the Americans are all lip service, or in other words, you do not take them seriously. That’s freedom of speech: one can freely challenge the government, bombasts and lies are commonplace. Americans only abide by legal instruments, once they have signed the contracts, they will be serious.

I remember the infinitive phrase "to pay lip service", but can we say "to be all lip service"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 402 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:45 pm
When someone (or even a whole nation0 is "all lip service, " it means that they are all talk, and no action.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 05:31 am
Sullyfish is mistaken. To pay "lip service" to an an idea means to say publicly that you agree with it while in reality your actions show that you do not.

Quote:
can we say "to be all lip service"?

We can say it, of course, but it would be altering the usage.

0 Replies