Edit this paragraph please

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:57 am
You cannot expect that China will stay put. The call for further reforms on Chinese political system has been intensifying. The exclusive North Korean dictator Kim Jung Il is corrupt, but not dumb. He knows this very well. That was why he went away from the six-party talk and met with Americans alone, which has been received internationally as a slap on the face of China. Although China is humiliated badly, but China so far has no idea about how to deal with the old rascal. Kim is good at playing brinkmanship. He knows how to make China mad and yet China will not punish him for provocation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 646 • Replies: 10
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 07:23 pm
The sun also rises, and this thread sinks not.
panzade

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 07:28 pm
@oristarA,
haha you're very needy today. Very Happy
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 04:11 am
Once upon a time ... tell me the story please ...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:52 am
@oristarA,
What is this to be, Ori, an example of speech, newspaper, academic/school writing?

oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:26 am
@JTT,
Just a casual talk, JTT.

What I am not sure about is:

1) Is the collocation proper with "stay put" and "call for further reforms"?

2) Should "will not punish him for provocation" be "will not punish him for his provocation"?
McTag

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 09:09 am

on't use "dumb" to mean "stupid" in a semi-formal passage like this, I suggest.

"Brinkmanship" without the "playing" is better.

etc

and "mad" for "angry" is purely AmE and I would avoid it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 09:37 am
@oristarA,
You cannot expect that China will stay put. The call for further reforms [on] to the Chinese political system has been intensifying. The exclusive North Korean dictator Kim Jung Il is corrupt, but not dumb. He knows this very well.

That was why he went away from the six-party talk and met alone with the Americans [alone], which has been received internationally as a slap on the face of China.

Although China is/has been humiliated badly, [but China] it so far has no idea about how to deal with the old rascal. Kim is good at [playing] brinkmanship. He knows how to make China mad and yet China will not punish him for provocation.

Just a casual talk, JTT.

There's a difference in meaning that you might not be aware of, Ori, between "a casual talk" and "casual talk". The former describes you or someone giving an informal speech/talk to a group and the latter describes a casual discussion among friends.

What I am not sure about is:

1) Is the collocation proper with "stay put" and "call for further reforms"?

I don't think that 'stay put' is what you want here. I think that you may mean "put up with" or "tolerate" N Korea's "provocations".

2) Should "will not punish him for provocation" be "will not punish him for his provocation"?

I think I'd use 'his' if you want to suggest this particular instance.

oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:10 pm
@JTT,
Thank you JTT.

Regarding "stay put", in original (Chinese thinking) mind it refers to "not change (in political and/or diplomatic policies)".

For example: China, as North Korea, will also change its policy so that it can establish a relationship more intimate with United States. And, why will Kim Jung Il do that? Historically he just follows suit of the example of Mao Zedong, who during Cold War betrayed both Soviet Union and the Internationl Communist United Front and went to embrace U.S. . And now, it seems that Kim wants to betray China for the favor of America.
JTT

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 05:28 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Regarding "stay put", in original (Chinese thinking) mind it refers to "not change (in political and/or diplomatic policies)".

I think that you may have taken this from a dictionary and sometimes these direct translations just aren't very natural, Ori.

For this nuance, I'll suggest 'maintain current ... ', 'keep the current ... '
oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 06:07 pm
@JTT,
Thanks
0 Replies