Father Knows Best?

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:40 pm
Father may know best on TV, but not in politics. Poppa Bush thought Dick Cheney would be a wise counselor for Dubya, who sure needed counseling from someone. But Slick Dick has proved to be anything but a wise counselor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/12/opinion/12DOWD.html

We Democrats are focusing on getting rid of Dubya in 2004. Perhaps a better target of our wrath would be Dick Cheney. A muddle-minded man, puffed up with power, running his own government completely unchecked by anyone. A very dangerous person, seems to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,542 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:52 pm
GWB is a sypher who serves as a convenient front for others, get rid of Cheney and someone else will take his place. It is best to address the root of the problem.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:03 pm
Right you are acquiunk. Got sweep them all away.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:11 pm
Er...I have the sneaking suspicion the Elder Bush is something of a eminence grise (or, eminence gristle) to the younger one's coterie of advisors.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:20 pm
Serious question, then. Where do you suppose Elder's influence comes from. A sitting president losing an election is not exactly the highest indication of power.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:30 pm
Father Knows Best?
No, it isn't. But when you can sit behind the scenes and pull strings unseen, that amounts to power, doesn't it? But it's like the Wizard of Oz, doing his thing behind the curtain. Sooner or later some dog comes along and pulls the curtain -- as in 2004, when Bush goes down to defeat.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 09:25 am
Do not be too certain that Bush will be defeated. He is the front man for a movement that is determine to take this country back to a society that looks more pre New Deal than most people can conceive. Look at Chile, a semi democracy in which economic and political power is concentrated in the hands of an elite that will tolerate only limited social and economic equality. The Bush administration illustrates how this system works. Publicly they make the right noises but behind the scene decisions are made that benefit only a few. By the time the general public becomes aware of what has happened it is too late as the effort needed to revers the system cause more social turmoil than most people want, So they put up with what they are stuck with.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 12:37 pm
Father Knows Best
I firmly believe that we have at last reached the point where the people begin to catch on. And in 2004 we are going to try or damndest to turn back the ugly tide that has tried to take over this country. When even many Republicans begin to see a glimmer of the truth it's pretty good sign that all is not well within that party. We still have a year to keep shouting that the emperor has no clothes. And no brains. And no chance of winning another one. (Heck, he didn't really win this one, did he?) Laughing
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 12:42 pm
Wow! Look at me, Ma! I just hit 50 p9sts and became an Enthusiast in Training! Where do I pick up my certificate?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:42 pm
I fear that all those who are quick to write Bush off in 04 are in for an unpleasant surprise. The odds are that Bush will be reelected that is unless the democrats can come up with someone better than the present crop of candidates. .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 03:27 pm
To be completely honest, I'm hoping they can come up with one I can vote for. It would be a first.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:11 pm
Father Knows Best
Well, guys, like I said, "The fat lady hasn't sung yet ................." Stay tuned.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:22 pm
Well the second of the eleven dwarfs Kuchich just announced he is dropping out of the race. And then there were nine.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:51 pm
Father Knows Best
Something wrong somewhere. I just got through reading NYTimes on the WEb story concerning Kucinich kicking off his campaign. Are you sure you are talking about the right candidate? I think Graham was the last one to drop out.

Can we have some clarification? Confused
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
Shoesharper, you look a lot like Roberta. Are you two related?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:57 pm
shoesharper
It came over the five o'clock news. You will in all likelihood see it in tomorrow's paper
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 06:08 pm
shoesharper
Correction, either the newscaster or I got it wrong. He did drop out. Sorry.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 06:32 pm
AU1929 -- Did he or didn't he? Your message is unclear. Since this is the first day of his official campaign it doesn't seem very likely that he would be dropping out just yet. Confused

Hey Gus, you old loris lover! Where ya been all these months. Yeah, Roberta is my doppelganger. Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 06:35 pm
He did not.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 09:21 pm
Dennis K.
Okay -- thanks.
0 Replies