Redeploy = withdraw?

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:20 pm

Context:
Honda Redeploys Formula One `Warriors' to Win Race for Fuel-Efficient Cars Honda Motor Co.’s withdrawal from Formula One racing in December to save money may give it an advantage over rivals: fresh blood from an elite cadre of engineers to improve its Civic compacts and Odyssey minivans.

Aug. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Honda Motor Co.’s withdrawal from Formula One racing in December to save money may give it an advantage over rivals: fresh blood from an elite cadre of engineers to improve its Civic compacts and Odyssey minivans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 703 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:30 pm
@oristarA,
Redeploy is often used as a euphemism for withdrawal or retreat. Here, it looks like they are better using their engineering talent in the developement of cars to be sold, instead of supporting a racing team.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:53 am
"Redeploy" is not always a euphemism for "withdraw" or "retreat". It can mean "tactically rearrange", in fact that is its most usual meaning. In fact a withdrawal from the battlefield or arena of endeavour is fundamentally different from a rearrangement of forces within that arena.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 02:02 am
@contrex,
in the last generation very often positive or neutral terms have been co-opted to identify negative reality. A withdrawal is negative, redeploy is neutral. We have attempted to support self esteem and positive feelings at the expense of clarity of language. The lack of clarity of language then causes a depowering of clarity of debate and thought. We have our priorities fucked up big time.
contrex

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 02:29 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
very often positive or neutral terms have been co-opted to identify negative reality

That is the essence of euphemism, as I have noted.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 02:30 am
@contrex,
Quote:
That is the essence of euphemism, as I have noted.

Which we deploy much more often than our forefathers did, and to our detriment, as I have noted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 03:56 am
@contrex,
Golly, I was wondering why I used the word.
Setanta

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 04:42 am
Redploy also has a prosaic, and "value neutral" use--in armies, a unit is often transferred to a different base for various reasons--because the base they are stationed at will be closed, because another unit needs to use that base, because the unit will be used to train other troops. In such a case, the unit is said to have been redeployed. This use of the word means that resources are being used more efficiently (it is hoped), and it does not have either a tactical meaning nor a pejorative meaning. I think that is the way it is being used here.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 04:57 am
(Euphemism)

Quote:
Which we deploy much more often than our forefathers did, and to our detriment, as I have noted.

I don't know that I agree; euphemism has been around as long as language has, I daresay, and in many areas of life people write and speak more plainly than they did 50 or 100 years ago - for example when referring to sexual matters and issues of ethnicity. Different eras have different zones of sensitivity.
oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:44 am
First, thanks for replying.

Second, the word withdrawal is ofter negative? Let's see the title:
Gates: Iraq Withdrawal Could Speed Up
- CBS News

Has Gates used a negative word? The usage seems just neutral.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:45 am
First, thanks for replying.

Second, the word withdrawal is ofter negative? Let's see the title:
Gates: Iraq Withdrawal Could Speed Up
- CBS News

Has Gates used a negative word? The usage seems just neutral. Or else, Gates would have made a mistake.
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:04 am
@oristarA,
Withdrawal is, in itself, neutral. If it is seen as negative, that is an expression of the political point of view of anyone who describes it in that manner. In a purely military sense, withdrawal and redeployment are synonymous. So, for example, in the first world war, in the western theater in Europe, the Germans attempted (and failed) to implement a plan which would have resulted in them taking Paris within six weeks time. The plan did not take into account the simple factor of fatigue (Allied soldiers often had to wake up German soldiers in order to make prisoners of them, and in some cases, just flung the sleeping soldiers into trucks). The plan also called for the Germans to put all of their weight into the right wing, even at the cost of allowing the Russians to overrun parts of east Prussia.

Well, the Germans didn't put all of their weight into the right wing, and the Russians moved faster than anybody would have believed before the war. Troops were transferred from the west to the east at a critical juncture when the commander of Germany's Eighth Army panicked. In fact, these troops were sent east at a time when, using the troops available, the chief of Staff of that army, Max Hoffman, went over to the offensive, destroying Russia's Second Army, and forcing the retreat of Russia's First Army. The retreat of von Rennenkampf's First Army was a strategic withdrawal forced upon him by the collapse of Samsonov's Second Army. Either withdrawal or redeployment would be used in a negative manner to describe Rennenkampf's retreat, but no one with any military sense would fault him for recognizing the necessity of the withdrawal.

Meanwhile, in the west, the Germans did not make the progress toward Paris and the knock-out blow the plan intended, but not just because they had failed to put all of their weight into the right wing--but also because the schedule simply failed to recognize "human frailty." The German troops were literally asleep on their feet at the end of August, 1914. The plan also failed to take into consideration the logistics of moving rapidly in occupied territory--the Germans could not repair and operate the Belgian railways to supply their troops, who were often held up waiting for food and ammunition. By the time of the battle of the Marne in September, 1914, the Allies had been driven back onto their bases of supply, while the German supply lines were stretched to the breaking point. (This is always a classic problem of warfare--a successful commander may move so fast that his own organization and supply lines break down. It's as old as warfare, too--the genius of the Romans was to keep their troops supplied even in the remotest theaters. In his Gallic War commentaries, Caesar always tells what measures he took to supply his army at the beginning of each campaign season. A great leader can often be measured by how well he understands the entire picture, and not just the fighting at the front line.)

When Paris was saved by the battle of the Marne, the armies did not immediately settle down into the lines from which they would fight for the next four years. In the center of the line, the Germans withdrew their troops to a line of ridges known as the Chemin des Dames (literally, the "Path of the Ladies"). This was a very wise deployment, because it forced the Allies to place their troops in lines which were overlooked by the Germans who were now on the high ground. It meant that the Germans could hold their lines with fewer troops, and could command the ground of any attempted attack by the Allies with their artillery. That redeployment, or strategic withdrawal, actually served to improve their position, and to use their assets much more efficiently.

Someone who refers to a withdrawal from Iraq in a negative manner, as shameful or cowardly, is not expressing a military opinion. He or she is expressing a political opinion.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:13 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I don't know that I agree; euphemism has been around as long as language has, I daresay,

No, that's not true, Contrex. euphemism and nuance were invented in the latter part of the 17th century by a group of prescriptivists whose sole pursuits in life were the betterment of the English language.

The words come from the leader of each committee; one was called "Euphe" and the other, "Nu".

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 12:15 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Golly, I was wondering why I used the word.

Have more faith in yourself and your replies, Roger.
0 Replies