Life At Work, Post Semi-retirement

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:50 pm
I have rarely in the course of my life gotten away with a single thing, deserved or otherwise.

I was so reminded just last week, when an air conditioner I had worked on a number of years prior gave some problems. Now, it is my way to acknowledge a past mistake, rectify it, then move on. Not so, apparently, with my lead man. He took over my job about a year ago. We sometimes come upon shoddy work that I was responsible for, being lead maintenance. But I sometimes don’t know who, how or why. After more than seventeen years on the job, it is impossible to recall every single such screw up, or even to have been aware of all of them when they occurred. A lead man delegates, as well as performs.

The A/C in question seemed to be working well, but the outside low side line would get no colder than 48.5 degrees. Consequently, the apartment could cool to no lower than seventy eight degrees.
After exhausting every other option, we were left to consider: Should the condenser be replaced? Or the evaporator coil?

Lead man asked if the piston had been changed to accommodate the smaller condenser. I replied it was entirely possible that it had not.

I went home, then, because I get off at noon.

He examined the coil and discovered that it was of a design that had no changeable piston. So it was permanently set for two ton usage in a ton and a half system. Let me explain to you why.

I had found it necessary to use the larger coil, because the available ton and a half coils were too short for the cabinet space. Sure, we could have rigged some kind of blocks under the drain pan to raise it to meet the coil, but I did not like the awkwardness of that setup. So, I experimented, and the switch appeared to work. Nobody who used them complained about their A/Cs and no one questioned my methods.

Well, the lead guy called me at home to inform me he had ordered a new coil. Then proceeded to put me through the wringer why I did such a thing.
I cut him off.

“Nobody taught me how to do this stuff,” I said. “I had to learn it by myself. When I began changing out coils, I did not know about pistons. Our A/Cs did not have pistons.”

True. Our old units had no provision for exchanging a piston.

So yesterday he replaced the coil with another two ton piece, then replaced the piston in it with a ton and a half piston. He stayed with the unit long enough for it to cool to 78 degrees, then walked away.

Well, when somebody moves in there, they may be complaining that the A/C never shuts off and never cools below seventy eight, since it was already cooling to seventy eight before he worked on it.

But I have him covered. I will get there before him on Monday and start it up. Then, after I get the pool cleaned, I will go up and see what we have. I am very curious about the outcome.

DrewDad

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:55 pm
Show me someone who has never made a mistake, and I'll show you someone who has never done anything. Fact is, someday, somewhere, something you do will be wrong. Learn from it and move on....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:56 pm
And: The problem isn't making a mistake. The problem is not making a habit of it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 05:12 pm
@DrewDad,
The particular incident was not so much the result of a mistake as learning on the job, with no tutor. I know in hind sight there were other options. My boss got fired, leaving a man who did not know what he was doing. I even told the manager to get somebody else, but I was promoted anyway. So I learned by trial and error.
Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 06:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi Edgar! Nice to read that you are also human, like the rest of us. Hopefully, the fellow that you work with won't be a smartass about this mistake.

---------

For me, post semi-retirement has been a bit different, as, of course, I was not able to continue on with the same work after I was retired (April 2006).

If you remember, I retired from being a meter reader for about 20 years, and a couple of other jobs from the same company (since 1974). So, not much call for that in the private sector. Wink

I regret not having been retired from a job which I could have built on my experience for a semi-retired job. Oh well!

Since April 2009, I have still been looking for something else. Not a lot of suitable work has come along lately.

Recently, I applied for a warehouse job for a fireworks company. After the interview, I wasn't too impressed, as I got the idea that it was not going to be year-round work and would have been laid off.

My latest resume was just sent off yesterday to our local Napa Auto Parts shop for a delivery driver job. We'll see soon, I'm sure, if I get a phone call for an interview for that one.

On the horizon, we have a Best Buy opening up any day, but after reading about their schpiel, I decided I wasn't interested it that. As well, a new Denny's restaurant will probably be opened up in the next few months. Not sure about that yet.

In the meantime, hoping for more jobs to maybe open up in September. I'm still looking for full time work.

I'll keep you posted, and I'll keep reading here to keep informed about your experiences.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 06:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
well edgar, I find it difficult to relate you your dilemma as I have never incurred a mistake in my performance, I can walk on water and raise the dead.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:31 pm
@Reyn,
Well, reyn, the delivery driver sounds like something worth pursuing. It amazes me how a willing person can find it hard to get hired. My wife recently became unemployed and is having trouble getting on. The other day, some people asked her to work a job with no pay during the training process. At the end she was expected to fork over a hundred dollars to take a test. I wish I knew what was their objective.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:32 pm
@dyslexia,
I can walk on the dead and raise water somewhat.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
[...] My wife recently became unemployed and is having trouble getting on. [...]

I'm sorry to hear about that. Up here, there's currently a fair bit of unemployment.

It sounds like the experience your wife had is a scam, maybe?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:45 pm
@Reyn,
Has to be a scam. I know a young woman that could qualify for most any job. I plan to give her that company's info and she says she will get to the bottom of it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wish no longer. Their objective is to collect the hundred dollars. When the job market is tight, these people come out of the woodwork.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:57 pm
@roger,
Not only the hundred dollars, but a period of working without pay.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:01 pm
@roger,
roger beat me to it...

save your time and your benjamin.
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar wrote :

Quote:
It amazes me how a willing person can find it hard to get hired.

the problem" is that americans are beginning to save money again !
the money not being spent , means that less is being purchased and unemployment is still a real problem - and unemployment is perhaps even increasing.

i suppose it's somewhat liking coming out of a bad hangover - the cure is usually very painful ( i understand ) .

it's not that much different in canada btw.

link to an article in canadian newspaper :

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/article966339.ece

just a short quote :

Quote:
Your savings, in some sense, represent my lost income. Increased consumer savings is like extending a dam further into a river of money - call it personal income - and diverting some of the flow into a different river. Instead of going into the river called "consumer spending," more of it is going into the river called "savings."

so what to do ?
keep spending ... or start saving ?
both have painful consequences !
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:03 pm
@Rockhead,
My wife turned them down on the spot. What I have in mind is getting the full lowdown and contacting a TV station to see if they would do an expose on the air.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:07 pm
@hamburgboy,
There are jobs in our area. Maybe not the plum jobs of a few years ago. My wife's problem is her age, bad back and limited experience. She had a couple of jobs offered, but had to turn them down, due to physical limitations.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:13 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

Quote:
Your savings, in some sense, represent my lost income. Increased consumer savings is like extending a dam further into a river of money - call it personal income - and diverting some of the flow into a different river. Instead of going into the river called "consumer spending," more of it is going into the river called "savings."

It could be restated as "Your income is my expense". In other words "Sorry, Charley."
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 08:17 pm
@roger,
Quote:
It could be restated as "Your income is my expense". In other words "Sorry, Charley."

that's about it - and you won't hear the "sorry" very often !
everyone looks out for number one .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My wife recently became unemployed and is having trouble getting on. The other day, some people asked her to work a job with no pay during the training process. At the end she was expected to fork over a hundred dollars to take a test. I wish I knew what was their objective.

I never had opportunity to do the followup with my friend, but these people called my wife again and offered her a job at the telephone, to make appointments. She would have been expected to memorize their pitch, because there would be times no one from sales would be available. Again, she declined. A few weeks after that, they called her again and offered her a job for after hours. She would be calling persons who already were customers, setting up appointments. Turns out they push insurance of some kind. Again, she refused.

My wife has returned to her old job, or will on Thursday. It's tough out there, but at least she had some place to land.
Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
My wife has returned to her old job, or will on Thursday. It's tough out there, but at least she had some place to land.

Very glad to hear, Edgar!

I'm still waiting for my break. Sad
0 Replies