Revenge

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:22 am
This is going to be a long one.

My best friend, Jane and I separated from our spouses, one day apart, 8 years ago. Her husband, Bob, was a drug addict, gambler, thief and spent the majority of his free time with another woman. He drained the bank accounts and ran up the credit cards and left Jane in a huge financial mess, which he did nothing to rectify.
I left for much different reasons which I won't get into.
Bob was also my boss, before, during and after the whole breakup. He had introduced jane and I. So as you can surmise, it was a messy affair. Jane and Bob have a daughter who will be 14 within days. He has regularly refused to pay court ordered child support, $120 a month, and has bragged about his dead beatness. He has had his cheques routinely garnished by the government to force payment. Although Jane has primary custody, he has during the past 8 years only taken his daughter Mary, 12 days during this time for overnight visits.
Jane has struggled as a single mother, frequently forgoing luxuries to pay for shelter, food and other incidentals Mary has needed.

Jane has tried to maintain friendly bonds with this family. This summer we all went camping with the sister and her husband. We both have played on the same ball teams and have had many BBQs and visited regularily. Jane has babysat for the sister on many occasions.

During this time she had one long time love, this relationship ended abruptly and sadly. She has dated a few men sparingly. unfortunatly one of the briefest unions was Bob's uncle, it lasted two whole dates over one year ago. One date consisted of dinner and a movie, the second was a backyard BBQ with his daughter and Mary.

Two weekends ago, Jane and I were invited to a friends going away party. It was a very tame affair and it was over at midnight. That same evening Bob's sister, Eunice and her husband Alphonse also had a party for their ball team. Mary and a friend spent the night at Eunices'. Mary apparently had a drink or two and became rather loose lipped. She told Eunice about the uncle, seeing her mom and the uncle kissing and all hell broke loose. Eunice freaked, in front of the drunk audience skewered Jane in an all night gossip session and then called her brother, mother and father in for family support. The family told Mary that Jane left her father because she was having an affair and a lot of other vindictive nonsense. The uncle was questioned, he told them his sex life wasn't any of their business, but did confirm that Jane and he had dated.

So, Mary called her mother a whore and a liar. She moved out to live with her father, who has barely looked after her since. She has spent the majority of the time at the Aunt's and Grandmother's house. She has failed 4 exams 20-30% range, been late for school 3 times, been suspended for theft and has missed two soccer practices and this morning she missed a game. At this afternoons game, the Aunt approached Jane's father and laughing told him they'd 'won'. Who knew it was a competition?

The school principal was informed of the goings on, and has repeatedly asked Bob to come in for a conference, which he has not responded to. Instead the Bob told Mary, he will transfer her to another school. The principal has refused. He is as disgusted by this family's action as everyone else, but Mary stubbornly refuses to listen to him and has accused her mother of betrayal for telling the school anything. Jane was legally responsible to tell the school of the move. Jane has no idea where Bob lives, she has not been told his address and his only phone number is a cell phone.

I'm disgusted. Who tells a child anything about a parents sex life, not to mention the lies and all the other hurtful things they said. What child wants to know of a parents sex life? Gossip is poison and instead of thanking Jane for the good job she's done raising his daughter this family has entered an eight year grudge match. Digging up resentment and hatred that should have been buried long ago.
I believe in Karma, what goes around comes around. But who's to say that Jane can't be the karmic hand and give them thier just desserts. Twisted Evil
I should add that my name has been smeared too. Mary is in contact with my kids and has told them some far fetched things about me. Jane wants revenge, she wants to hurt them. I've told her to bide her time, but as each day ends and more things are said I'm afraid she's close to the boiling point. What would you do? They deserve what they've got coming but what should it be.
I'm sick about this,
Ceili
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 950 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:53 am
Hmm.

Except for the stuff being told to your kids, I don't see how this affects you. Sure, it's interesting, but it's their thing, demented and sad as it is. So leave them to it.

Now, as for what's been said to your kids - have you talked to your kids about it? What do they say? Who do they believe? If they believe you then I think you can wash your hands of the whole thing the minute you tell your kids not to listen to Mary any more and not associate with her again.

If your kids believe Mary over you then you've got far different problems. If that's the case, then it's time to have a talk with your kids about credibility and who's trustworthy (and who isn't).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:01 am
What a mess!

Briefly (I'm in a bit of a time bind this morning, but want to give you my two cents):

Violence begets violence.

Mary is acting out. Remember, it isn't just the messy divorce that has set her off, but the years of the messy marriage as well.

Notice that Mary is being a little wiz-bitch to everyone except her father. She doesn't trust him.

Conventional thinking--valid for most kids--is that a parent gets them launched into the Real World by the age of 18 or 21 or high school graduation or college graduation.

Mary is making choices so the standard timetable won't work. Unfortunately she has the power to delay her maturity and no one can stop her

Therapy would obviously be an excellent option if Mary were open to excellent options that didn't involve someone who could be wounded.

Her mother--and all bystanders--have got to clench teeth and wait for Mary to acquire a sense of proportion. Impotent waiting is pure hell, but realistically there aren't any other options for a headstrong girl determined to be super-contrary.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:30 pm
What an awful situation. Unfortunately, revenge gets you nowhere. The best thing you can do is just talk to your kids and maybe explain to them that Mary is simply lashing out at people because she's unhappy. The situation sucks for you and your friend, but I don't see that there's much you can do.
0 Replies