GI Form Letter Exposed!

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
Form letter sent to many newspapers.
Quote:
LEDYARD KING GANNETT NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON -- Letters from hometown soldiers describing their successes rebuilding Iraq have been appearing in newspapers across the country as U.S. public opinion on the mission sours.

And all the letters are the same.

A Gannett News Service search found identical letters from different soldiers with the 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Airborne Infantry Regiment, also known as "The Rock," in 11 newspapers, including Snohomish, Wash.

The Olympian received two identical letters signed by different hometown soldiers: Spc. Joshua Ackler and Spc. Alex Marois, who is now a sergeant. The paper declined to run either because of a policy not to publish form letters.

The five-paragraph letter talks about the soldiers' efforts to re-establish police and fire departments, and build water and sewer plants in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, where the unit is based.

"The quality of life and security for the citizens has been largely restored, and we are a large part of why that has happened," the letter reads.

It describes people waving at passing troops and children running up to shake their hands and say thank you.

It's not clear who wrote the letter or organized sending it to soldiers' hometown papers.

Six soldiers reached by GNS directly or through their families said they agreed with the letter's thrust. But none of the soldiers said he wrote it, and one said he didn't even sign it.

Marois, 23, told his family he signed the letter, said Moya Marois, his stepmother. But she said he was puzzled why it was sent to the newspaper in Olympia. He attended high school in Olympia but no longer considers the city home, she said. Moya Marois and Alex's father, Les, now live near Kooskia, Idaho.

A seventh soldier didn't know about the letter until his father congratulated him for getting it published in the local newspaper in Beckley, W.Va.

"When I told him he wrote such a good letter, he said: 'What letter?' " Timothy Deaconson said Friday, recalling the phone conversation he had with his son, Nick. "This is just not his (writing) style."

He spoke to his son, Pfc. Nick Deaconson, at a hospital where he was recovering from a grenade explosion that left shrapnel in both his legs.

Sgt. Christopher Shelton, who signed a letter that ran in the Snohomish Herald, said Friday that his platoon sergeant had distributed the letter and asked soldiers for the names of their hometown newspapers. Soldiers were asked to sign the letter if they agreed with it, said Shelton, whose shoulder was wounded during an ambush earlier this year.

"Everything it said is dead accurate. We've done a really good job," he said by phone from Italy, where he was preparing to return to Iraq.

Sgt. Todd Oliver, a spokesman for the 173rd Airborne Brigade, which counts the 503rd as one of its units, said he was told a soldier wrote the letter, but he didn't know who. He said the brigade's public affairs unit was not involved.

"When he asked other soldiers in his unit to sign it, they did," Oliver explained in an e-mail response to a GNS inquiry. "Someone, somewhere along the way, took it upon themselves to mail it to the various editors of newspapers across the country."

Lt. Col. Bill MacDonald, a spokesman for the 4th infantry Division that is heading operations in north-central Iraq, said he had not heard about the letter-writing campaign.

Neither had Lt. Cmdr. Nick Balice, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla.

A recent poll suggests that Americans are increasingly skeptical of America's prolonged involvement in Iraq. A USA Today-CNN-Gallup Poll released Sept. 23 found 50 percent believe that the situation in Iraq was worth going to war over, down from 73 percent in April.

The letter talks about the soldiers' mission, saying, "one thousand of my fellow soldiers and I parachuted from ten jumbo jets." It describes Kirkuk as "a hot and dusty city of just over a million people." It tells about the progress they have made.

"The fruits of all our soldiers' efforts are clearly visible in the streets of Kirkuk today. There is very little trash in the streets, many more people in the markets and shops, and children have returned to school," the letter reads. "I am proud of the work we are doing here in Iraq and I hope all of your readers are as well."

Sgt. Shawn Grueser of Poca, W.Va., said he spoke to a military public affairs officer whose name he couldn't remember about his accomplishments in Iraq for what he thought was a news release to be sent to his hometown paper in Charleston, W.Va. But the 2nd Battalion soldier said he did not sign any letter.

Although Grueser said he agrees with the letter's sentiments, he was uncomfortable that a letter with his signature did not contain his own words or spell out his own accomplishments.

"It makes it look like you cheated on a test, and everybody got the same grade," Grueser said by phone from a base in Italy where he had just arrived from Iraq.

Moya Marois said she is proud of her stepson Alex, the former Olympia resident. But she worries that the letter tries to give legitimacy to a war she doesn't think was justified.

"We're going to support our son," she said. But "there are a lot of Americans that are not in support of this war that would like to see them returned home, and think it's going to get worse."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 16
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:29 pm
This is just another part of what I see as a "Charm Offensive" by the "War Party".

People are seeing past the flag-waving and seeing the reality of what Bush has got us into.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:47 pm
I've been watching the progression of this story on the various newswire websites. So far only 4 media organizations have picked up the story and done articles on it.

It will be interesting to note whether more will speak up or if there will be a conspiracy of silence to lessen the red-faced newspapers who have already printed the letters without doing any research on them.

My hat is off to the Gannett organization for showing there are still a few investigative journalists in the newsrooms.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:07 pm
This is real meataxe military public relations. If you are PR Corp, you write some nice boilerplate and then send it around to the platoons. The sargents "ask" the troops to read and sign it and then it's sent back to the PRstation. You look through the signed copies and, if you have your sh-t together, you pick out names of soldiers who live in DIFFERENT towns. Then the letters are sent, not to the soldiers' parents or wife, but to the local newspaper for publication. Everybody feels good about themselves, even though it's mostly phoney.

This has been done in every war. In WWII, things were easier for the PRs, not all the GIs could write dat good, uh, write that well, but groundpounders and gyrenes, zoomies and swabbies all are better educated now, most have email contacts. It's been that way since the middle of Viet Nam but the Public Relations Corp still hasn't realized it.

Jerks.

Joe
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:21 pm
I found a news site that has published the original letter.

Observer-Dispatch (New York)

Area native sends home a message from Iraq

Thu, Sep 11, 2003

Sgt. Edwin Gargas
This letter, postmarked Sept. 1, was received Wednesday at the Observer-Dispatch. The writer, Sgt. 1st Class Edwin Gargas Jr., 34, is serving with the U.S. Army in Iraq. Gargas, a 1987 graduate of New York Mills Junior-Senior High School, is the son of Edwin Gargas of Yorkville and Carol Gargas of Clark Mills. His wife, the former Deborah Kupiec of New Hartford, and daughters Amanda, 9, and Emily, 6, are living in Vicenza, Italy, while he is deployed. Here is his message:

I have been serving in Iraq for over five months now as a soldier in the 2d Battalion of the 503d Airborne Infantry Regiment, otherwise known as "ROCK."

We entered the country at midnight on the 26th of March when 1,000 of my fellow soldiers and I parachuted from 10 jumbo jets (known as C17s) onto a cold, muddy field in Bashur in northern Iraq. This parachute operation was the U.S. Army's only combat jump of the war and opened up the northern front.

Things have changed tremendously for our battalion since those first cold, wet weeks spent in the mountain city of Bashur. On April 10, our battalion conducted an attack south into the oil-rich town of Kirkuk, the city that has since become our home-away-from-home and the focus of our security and development efforts.

Kirkuk is a hot and dusty city of just over a million people. The majority of the city has welcomed our presence with open arms. After nearly five months here, the people still come running from their homes, into the 100-degree heat, waving to us as our troops drive by on daily patrols of the city. Children smile and run up to shake hands and in their broken English shout, "Thank you, Mister!"

The people of Kirkuk are all trying to find their way in this new democratic environment. Some major steps have been made in these last three months. A big reason for our steady progress is that our soldiers are living among the people of the city and getting to know their neighbors and the needs of their neighborhoods.

We have also been instrumental in building a new police force. Kirkuk now has 1,700 police officers. The police are now, ethnically, a fair representation of the community as a whole. So far, we have spent more than $500,000 dollars from the former Iraqi regime to repair each of the stations' electricity and plumbing, to paint each station and to make it a functional place for the police to work.

The battalion has also assisted in re-establishing Kirkuk's fire department, which is now even more effective than before the war. New water treatment and sewage plants are being constructed and the distribution of oil and gas are steadily improving. All of these functions were started by our soldiers here in this northern city and are now slowly being turned over to the newly elected city government.

Laws are being rewritten to reflect democratic principles and a functioning judicial system was recently established to bridge the gap between law enforcement and the rule of law. The quality of life and security for the citizens has been largely restored and we are a large part of why that has happened.

The fruits of all our soldiers' efforts are clearly visible in the streets of Kirkuk today. There is very little trash, many more people in the markets and shops, and children have returned to school. This is all evidence that the work we are doing as a battalion and as American soldiers in bettering the lives of Kirkuk's citizens.

I am proud of the work we are doing here in Iraq, and I hope all of your readers are as well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:46 pm
Wow. Interesting, hobitbob. And good additional info, Joe and Butrfly.

Hobit, perhaps change the thread's title, so that it's more immediately clear what it's about? Will draw more appropriate attention.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:36 pm
Lets not forget that no matter how "voluntary" this may be, If I were an E-4 or under I would feel like I was under immense pressure to sign this thing! Anyone who has been on active duty in recent years need only think about the pressure to contribute to CFC.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:59 pm
I agree, and it has been a lot longer than 4 years.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:36 am
More info from another article about the form letters:
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_3249.shtml

One soldier, who asked not to be identified, said he was reluctant to sign the letter because he did not agree with the comments in the letter but said he was ordered by a superior officer to sign.

"When I'm given an order, I obey it," he said.

Sgt. Christopher Shelton, who signed a letter that ran in the Snohomish Herald, said Friday that his platoon sergeant had distributed the letter and asked soldiers for the names of their hometown newspapers. Soldiers were them told to sign the letter.

Sgt. Todd Oliver, a spokesman for the 173rd Airborne Brigade, which counts the 503rd as one of its units, said he was told a soldier wrote the letter, but he didn't know who. He claimed the brigade's public affairs unit was not involved. "When he asked other soldiers in his unit to sign it, they did," Oliver explained in an e-mail response. "Someone, somewhere along the way, took it upon themselves to mail it to the various editors of newspapers across the country."

Lt. Col. Bill MacDonald, a spokesman for the 4th infantry Division that is heading operations in north-central Iraq, said he had not heard about the letter-writing campaign.

Neither had Lt. Cmdr. Nick Balice, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:21 am
hobitbob wrote:
Lets not forget that no matter how "voluntary" this may be, If I were an E-4 or under I would feel like I was under immense pressure to sign this thing! Anyone who has been on active duty in recent years need only think about the pressure to contribute to CFC.

You're right there. Fortunately there are some out there who have the balls enough to say no to the CFC's pressure, and make their own decisions (I don't mean disobeying orders -- that's a different story).

And yes, stuff like this is very common. It's eve similar with the "Home Town News" which sends a little informaiton about you and brags about your reassignment, though all you do issign a form giving permission to show your picture in the papers.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:59 am
Eastree wrote:

And yes, stuff like this is very common. It's eve similar with the "Home Town News" which sends a little informaiton about you and brags about your reassignment, though all you do issign a form giving permission to show your picture in the papers.

OK, but there's a difference between printing a little blurb about being reassigned, promoted, etc, and signing a letter designed to try and turn opinion back in the favor of CIC.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:44 am
I know there's a difference. The whole point is that it's everywhere in the military. I guess it's just how they do things (though whether it's the right thing to do is a different story).
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:59 am
I wonder whether we may need a law which prevents a department of the federal government from advertising itself. This would cut out the USPO's sponsorship of the US team in the Tour de France but it would aim first at any use of the military to promote militarism. No gov department should be allowed to give information gratuitously, it must be requested by individuals: you can find out what you want to know by asking, you can read in the newspaper that the FDA has issued a new list of drugs being tested, you may easily find out what services an agency provides, or that hometown soldier as been reassigned, but promotion of a department's services would be verboten. The end of nanny government and "be all that you can be..."
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:06 pm
That is a good idea, except things like that inspire much of the present military to join, or at least to choose which branch . . .

Though it would be an interesting event. It kind of experiment for numbers of troops and other employees. This kind of reminds me of another thread here, about the draft ...

You just reminded me of how much propaganda really is out there from our own government!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
Some explanation from an overpromoted schmuck in Iraq:I stand by my decision
Quote:
Amy Connell, of Sharon, Mass., knew as soon as she received the letter from her son Adam that he did not write it. "He's 20 years old and I don't think his language or his writing ability would have entailed that kind of description," she said.

She was right. Her son didn't write the letter. In an e-mail to ABCNEWS today, the commander of the battalion, Lt. Col. Dominic Caraccilo, said the "letter-writing initiative" was all his idea.

Caraccilo said he circulated the form letter to his soldiers to give them "an opportunity to let their respective hometowns know what they are accomplishing here in Kirkuk. As you might expect, they are working at an extremely fast pace and getting the good news back home is not always easy. We thought it would be a good idea to encapsulate what we as a battalion have accomplished since arriving Iraq and share that pride with people back home."

Caraccilo wrote that his staff drafted the letter, he edited it and reviewed it and then offered it to the soldiers. "Every soldier who signed that letter did so after a careful read," he said. "Some, who could find the time, decided to send their own versions, while others chose not to take part in the initiative."

Caraccilo was unapologetic, saying that the letter "perfectly reflects what each of these brave soldiers has and continues to accomplish on the ground."

Somebody needs to take the presentation set of Colonel's eagles that are probably on his desk back to Clothing Sales...he will no longer need them. :Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
One very good thing about these letters: they show the state of mind and the desperation of a failing administration. That's good. That's damn good. Let's take that to the bank.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 07:06 pm
Laughing
0 Replies