if it ain't one thing it's another

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 06:06 pm
My mum who has been receiving palliative/hospice for at least a month, today was diagnosed with colon cancer. the thing is I get no information from my father (for years) so I rely on friends who only have second-hand information and relay what I learn on to my brother who has zero access to pertinent information. My father has needs which mostly involve control that prohibit him from communicating with any family members.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 1,614 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 06:10 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

My mum who has been receiving palliative/hospice for at least a month, today was diagnosed with colon cancer. the thing is I get no information from my father (for years) so I rely on friends who only have second-hand information and relay what I learn on to my brother who has zero access to pertinent information. My father has needs which mostly involve control that prohibit him from communicating with any family members.

Fuckin sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 06:13 pm
@dyslexia,
Sorry to read of this bad news, dys. Doubly so due to the estrangements.

(((hug for dys)))
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:01 pm
I cant imagine how that feels.

Im sorry to hear it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:32 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
if it ain't one thing it's another

You already said it. Ain't nothin left for me to say except sorry.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:08 pm
Sorry to hear this, dys. And not getting full and direct information just makes it harder.

Sighing for you.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:41 pm
I keep forgetting that many people older than me still have living parents. Mine have been gone for some time. I AM the "old folks" in my family.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Dys. Is there a way you could contact the hospice for information about your mother and bypass your father?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:46 pm
Nothing additional to add.

Just a hug in case it helps.

(((( dys ))))
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:00 pm
Dys, can you visit your mother in the hospice? How far away is she?
Your father can't stop you from visiting, can he?
I do hope you'll get to see her in time....
dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:21 am
@CalamityJane,
according to my father re a note to a mutual friend this morning, my father has told the doc to not use the word" cancer" and instead tell my mom she has "malignant cells in the lining of the intestine." I guess it's important to him regarding the wordage rather than deal with the reality. To be honest, I, at this point am only concerned that my mom be allowed to die peacefully without pain and I don't give a **** how my father deals with it. they are both 88 yrs old.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:40 am
@dyslexia,
i should add that both my parents are living in a medical facility with Docs and Nurses on staff.
mac11

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:43 am
dys, I am so sorry to hear about this. Hugs to you and to Lady D, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:50 am
She deserves to go peacefully. I'm sorry, dys.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 11:58 am
I'm sorry for the bad news, and sorry too for the way your dad is handling things.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 01:44 pm
I just lost someone close to me in a what I call, ICU death.

No one just allowing the person to go... invasive ways to keep them alive, always ending conversations with " we will beat this'

I agree with you 100%.
Die peacefully, no pain ( if that can be helped ) and no force. No lying, no invasion..
Death is not an infection you can cure.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:05 pm
@dyslexia,
Diane's brother died recently. How does she think you should handle your desire to be informed about your mother's illness? Can you arrange for phone conversations with her? Have you asked Butrflynet if she could drive you to Colorado?

BBB

roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:12 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I just checked my busy schedule and discovered I could, if she couldn't, if that's what's wanted, of course.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:15 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

(((((Dys))))) Sorry to hear it my friend.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:11 pm
No suggestions either - but a hug from 'ere.

(((dys)))
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:59 pm
@margo,
From here too (((dys)))
0 Replies