Glenn Beck shoots self in mouth?

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:40 am
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- In what is shaping up to be one of the more effective boycott campaigns in years, advertisers are abandoning the "Glenn Beck" show on Fox News following the host's incendiary comments that President Barack Obama is a "racist" and has a "deep-seated hatred for white people."

Among the advertisers to pull spots from the popular cable talk show are Geico, owned by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway /quotes/comstock/13*!brk.a (BRK .A 99,956, -100.20, -0.10%) /quotes/comstock/13*!brk.b (BRK .B 3,266, +6.00, +0.18%) ; Procter & Gamble /quotes/comstock/13*!pg/quotes/nls/pg (PG 52.96, +0.16, +0.30%) ; Sargento Cheese; and Progressive Insurance /quotes/comstock/13*!pgr/quotes/nls/pgr (PGR 16.34, +0.06, +0.37%) , according to the companies and Color of Change, one group that is organizing a campaign against the program.

Fox News Network
Glenn Beck.

Beck, who made the remarks during another Fox News program late last month, is among the network's biggest draws, pulling in an average of about 2 million viewers. (Fox News is a unit of News Corp. /quotes/comstock/15*!nws/quotes/nls/nws (NWS 12.77, +0.14, +1.11%) , which also owns MarketWatch, the publisher of this report.)

Geico didn't respond to a request for comment but sent Color of Change an email saying it had "instructed its ad-buying service to redistribute its inventory of rotational spots on [Fox] to their other network programs, exclusive of the Glenn Beck program."
Privately held Sargento told its media buyer not to put any of its ads in Beck's show, said a spokeswoman.

"We market our products to people regardless of their political affiliations," she said. "Yet we do not want to be associated with hateful speech used by either liberal or conservative television hosts."

Because of the way ad time is often bought on cable -- in bulk and with an eye toward demographics and so-called day parts -- some of the targeted companies' ads may well have ended up on the program by mistake and in violation of their own standards. If so, it was an error that some advertisers vowed not to repeat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 9,093 • Replies: 86

JPB

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:44 am
@dyslexia,
I've been following this story at another site. Here are some of the updates...

Quote:
Walmart, Best Buy, CVS, and GMAC are among eight major advertisers that have confirmed pulling their advertising from Fox News' "Glenn Beck" program in light of his comments that President Obama is a racist.

The advertisers did not pull their spots from Fox News, but rather requested that their ads do not air during Beck's 5PM program.

The advertisers in the latest round of pull-out from Beck's show and their statements to ColorOfChange.org:

* Allergan (maker of Restasis): "We reviewed our commercial schedule, and based on your feedback, we've put any programming featuring Glenn Beck on our "do not air" list. This means that you will no longer see any Restasis ads during programming featuring Glenn Beck. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention."
* Ally Bank (a unit of GMAC Financial Services): "Ally advertises on a broad spectrum of programs to reach our potential customers. Our advertising is not an endorsement of editorial content on any program. We have ceased to advertise on the Glenn Beck program."
* Best Buy
* Broadview Security: "Given the considerations, we have requested of Fox News not to include us in the rotation that would have our commercials running on Glenn Beck's show."
* CVS: "While advertising on Fox is part of our communication plan, we had not requested time on Glenn Beck's show specifically. We have instructed our advertising agency to inform Fox to ensure Glenn Beck's program is not part of our advertising plan."
* Re-Bath: "...We are no longer airing our commercials on the Glenn Beck Show..."
* Travelocity: "We did not specifically place our ad on the show. We buy ads in bulk and then they are placed somewhat randomly. However, we have now specifically asked that our ads do not appear during this show."
* Wal-Mart: "Walmart today confirmed the retailer pulled ads from the Glenn Beck show on August 3rd,"

Quote:
Update #9: Healthy Choice, Radio Shack, Roche, Sanofi-Aventis & Travelocity all pull ads from Glenn Beck Program. More, more, more…how do you like it, how do you like it… [8/12/09]

Update #8: State Farm Insurance states says that ads should not have been run during the Glenn Beck Program. They state that they have corrected the error and ads will no longer run during Beck.

Update #7: Men’s Wearhouse has stated that they will not be airing any ads during the Glenn Beck Program. Full statement below. [8/11/09]

Update #6: Sargento Cheese also stated that they will be dropping Glenn Beck. Full statement below. [8/11/09]

Update #5: GEICO announced today that they will be pulling their ads from the Glenn Beck Program on Fox News. [8/11/09]

Update #4: I know that there is a lot of effort to contact Glenn Beck’s wide array of sponsors and that’s good. I urge everyone to continue. BUT, in order for this effort to work, it must be somewhat organized. UPS is one of Glenn Beck’s largest, if not the largest, direct sponsors. Accordingly, UPS should be the primary focus of this campaign. If you haven’t already contacted UPS, please do. Start with them first, then contact the others.

Update #3: If you are looking for Glenn Beck sponsor/advertiser information, scroll down to the bottom of this post.

Update #2: It was recently announced that Procter & Gamble, Lawyers.com (owned by LexisNexis) and Progressive Insurance are distancing themselves from Glenn Beck. I will be posting my thoughts on this later as well. These actions are a useful first step, but they are by no means adequate.

Update #1: I received a response from UPS. See it below.

"""""""
Beck doesn't want you to contact his sponsors. shhhh

Beck doesn't want you to contact his sponsors. shhhh

On July 2, I began a campaign of systematically contacting Glenn Beck’s sponsors after he expressed his hope for another terrorist attack against the United States in order to advance his political agenda. You can read about those efforts here. Although they were largely unsuccessful, I continued to organize on Twitter and research Beck’s sponsors.

Well, as expected, Beck continued spewing vitriol. Most recently, he said that President Obama was a racist and that Obama has a “deep-seated hatred of white people.” [Video]

As expected, this has caused quite a stir. It’s even breathed new life into the notion that Glenn Beck’s sponsors must answer for their financial support of Glen Beck’s outrageous and sometimes downright dangerous statements. If you are interested, follow our organizing efforts on Twitter and feel free to check JenkinsEar.com for updates.

It is important that we organize and that we act systematically in order to have the largest impact. Feel free to contact whatever sponsors you would like, but right now the primary focus should be on UPS. If you ever watch the Glenn Beck program (and I do not suggest you do), you will hear several times: “The Glenn Beck show is brought to you by UPS.” Well, isn’t that dandy. Contact UPS and ask them why they continue to fund Glenn Beck’s vitriol.

UPS Contact Info:
Email: [email protected]
Twitter: @ThomasatUPS

Here is the text of the email that I sent to UPS:

On July 28, 2009, Fox News Channel host Glenn Beck called President Obama a racist and stated that “[Obama] has a deep-seated hatred of white people.” Despite widespread public admonishment of these remarks, Mr. Beck continues to stand by his statements. UPS is a Glenn Beck sponsor on Fox News and has thus far been silent on Beck’s remarks. I just wanted to inform you that after these malicious statements, members of my family, friends and I will not use your services until you cease sponsoring Mr. Beck or take significant action to rebuke these remarks.

In case you are not aware, you can watch a video of Mr. Beck’s comments here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI_0Kt_e3Go].

I recognize that as advertisers, you are not directly responsible for the statements made by hosts. I am also aware that given the diversity of opinions that exist on cable news, it is challenging to find a message that will satisfy all audiences. Certainly, some groups will always be upset by something that is said. However, this is not a simple political disagreement. Mr. Beck is intentionally exploiting historical racial tension and ginning up additional racial tension for personal gain and to advance his political agenda. Moreover, given the sensitive security situation associated with the first black president, it is especially pernicious for Mr. Beck to validate the positions held by some extreme groups and people.

Further, this is not the first time that Mr. Beck has made outlandish statements with little regard for their veracity or the consequences. For example, in March, Mr. Beck suggested that Pres. Obama was constructing “concentration camps,” where he would send conservatives and political opponents. Earlier this month, Mr. Beck agreed with a guest’s advocacy of the detonation of a major weapon in the United States as the only means available for implementing their shared political agenda.

Although you are not directly responsible for these remarks, you are indirectly responsible in that you provide the funding that supports Glenn Beck’s program. This is unacceptable. Something must be done to address these horrific remarks and until something is done, your company will lose out on my business. Further, I will continue to spread the word that you are paying money to a news network that allows its hosts to stoke racial tensions for personal and political gain.

Best Regards

I will update this post as additional information becomes available.

UPS sent the following reply:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our recent advertising on Fox. We value your input and take your comments very seriously.

UPS is very sensitive to the type of television programming with which we associate our messaging. While our advertising schedules are purchased months in advance, we work with our agencies to monitor programming for offensive, inappropriate or controversial content as our schedules run. We do not, however, always have complete visibility into which programs will be promoted in purchased shows.

Occasionally, our advertising ends up near polarizing content. If we find that this becomes a consistent pattern, we will re-evaluate our commitment to particular programs or networks.

This is pretty much the standard response that I expected, although unlike other sponsors I have contacted, UPS provided for the possibility that they will drop Glenn Beck if enough people complain over a period of time. In other words, if we continue apply pressure to UPS, then they will inevitably drop him. So lets…

Sargento Cheese confirms that they will be pulling their ads from the Glenn Beck Program. Here’s their response email (much appreciation to Wrotte from Twitter for passing along this info):

We deeply appreciate your reaching out to us and sharing your comments and concerns about Sargento ads appearing during “The Glenn Beck Show.” We sat down with the marketing department to talk about it and I learned that we buy time periods not specific programs. But in any event, they’ve made the decision to exclude that program from our future ad rotation. Simply stated, Sargento ads won’t be airing during that show. Again, thanks for contacting us.

Received the following email from Men’s Wearhouse stating that they will be pulling their ads from Glenn Beck:

Thank you for contacting Men’s Wearhouse and bringing to our attention your concerns with the Glenn Beck program on Fox News. While we support free speech and do not make advertising decisions based on our own personal ideologies, after reviewing his recent incendiary comments we have decided to remove our advertising from his program. We hope that this decision will allow you to continue to patronize Men’s Wearhouse. I would encourage you to please share our decision with anyone else who may have expressed a similar concern.

Thank you again for contact Men’s Wearhouse.

Sponsor information after the jump…Glenn Beck Program on Fox News Channel Sponsors

ADT Security

* Email: Contact Form [link to company site]

Brita

* Tel: 1-800-24-BRITA

Campbell Soup

* Tel: 1-800-257-8443
* Twitter: @CampbellSoupCo

DITECH.COM (added 8/11/09)

* Tel: 1-800-DITECH-3

GEICO

Kellog’s

Kraft Foods

* Tel: 1-877-535-5666

Lawyers.com (owned by LexisNexis)

Men’s Wearhouse

Nestle

* Tel: 1-800-225-2270

Progressive Insurance

Pfizer

* Tel: 1-212-733-2323
* Twitter: @pfizer_news

Procter & Gamble

RadioShack

* Tel: 1-800-843-7422
* Email: [email protected]

Sargento

* Tel: 1-800-243-3737

Vonage (added 8/11/09)

* Email: Contact Form [link to company site] or [email protected] and [email protected]
* Twitter: @vonage_voice

Walmart

* Twitter: @Walmartkelly; @Walmartmeeting; @Walmartkevin

Glenn Beck Radio Sponsors

Angie’s List

* Twitter: @AngiesList

DISH Network

* Twitter: @dishnetwork

GoToMyPC.com

* Tel: 1-888-259-3826
* Email: [email protected]
* Twitter: @gotomypc

LegalZoom

* Tel: 1-800-773-0888
* Twitter: @LegalZoom

Purina One

* Tel: 1-866-787-4621
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:03 am
While this boycott is getting sponsors to move their advertising off of Beck's show, they are not pulling their ads from Fox or reducing the amount of advertising. If Fox is just moving stuff around, this is not really hurting anyone's bottom line.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

While this boycott is getting sponsors to move their advertising off of Beck's show, they are not pulling their ads from Fox or reducing the amount of advertising. If Fox is just moving stuff around, this is not really hurting anyone's bottom line.

Correct. However, if it becomes difficult to sell ad time on Beck's show, he might get moved to a less prime time slot or his show cancelled for another show with marketing appeal.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:24 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It does hurt Beck, in more than just a financial manner; and he doesn't seem to stable, psychologically, to begin with.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
he doesn't seem to stable, psychologically, to begin with.

And how did you arrive at this diagnosis, Dr. Chorn?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:06 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
he doesn't seem to stable, psychologically, to begin with.

And how did you arrive at this diagnosis, Dr. Chorn?

Extensive facial tic analysis combined with his excessively paranoid delusions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:07 am
I think advertiser boycotts are about the only way to get broadcasters to pay attention to what they're broadcasting.

For an advertiser buying cable rotations, picking shows TO or NOT to air on usually increases the cost substantially. Advertisers are pretty serious when they pull support from a show -- even a show they weren't really aware they were "supporting".

I'm curious as to how Beck is spinning this. Anyone know what his response has been?

Have any new advertisers jumped up to advertise on his show?
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:09 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Dr. Chorn

LOL...

T
K
O
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:12 am
@boomerang,
His ratings are up due to the controversy. Not surprising, really. It remains to be seen if his show has the legs to keep the new viewers.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/fox_news_channel_2_on_all_of_cable_last_week_124659.asp
Quote:
Meanwhile, "The Glenn Beck Program", which airs out of primetime at 5pmET, had its highest rated week ever among Households (1,907,000) and Total Viewers (2,409,000), and second best week in the A25-54 demo (682,000).

Beck was #2 in his time period in both Total Viewers and the demo in all of cable last week, behind NICK, and beating his cable news competition combined in Total Viewers and the demo.
snood

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:20 am
Murdoch will just move Beck to some other show or slot. Beck's loyal core following of angry white people represents too big a chunk of Faux's viewing base to lose.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:27 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

His ratings are up due to the controversy. Not surprising, really. It remains to be seen if his show has the legs to keep the new viewers.

That's ok, because ratings are mostly used to sell advertising -- you pay more for ads during high rating times because more people will see them. If the advertisers aren't buying anyway, then the ratings mean nothing. They've probably already had to start to filling those spots with cheaper ads.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:24 pm
Quote:
First on TVNewser: Tipsters inside Fox News tell us Glenn Beck's vacation this week from his Fox News show was not planned. We hear Beck was told to take this week off to let some of the heat surrounding him die down. That heat began July 28 on "Fox & Friends" when Beck said he thought Pres. Obama has "a deep-seated hatred for white people," adding, "This guy is, I believe, a racist."

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/glenn_beck_off_this_week_vacation_or_something_more_124727.asp

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:37 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- In what is shaping up to be one of the more effective boycott campaigns in years, advertisers are abandoning the "Glenn Beck" show on Fox News following the host's incendiary comments that President Barack Obama is a "racist" and has a "deep-seated hatred for white people."

I didn't want to continue talking about this in the Conservatism thread, so I thought I'd bring it up here. What I didn't know until wandeljw posted it in the Conservatism thread was that the next few words are "or the white culture". To me, that is the more telling piece. What exactly is "the white culture"? That sounds to me like a very specific dog whistle is being used. Any ideas?
sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:16 am
@FreeDuck,
Huh. That is interesting. My first thought is "way of life" -- as in, because he hates white culture, Obama will destroy "our" (Beck and his listeners') way of life.
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:34 am
@sozobe,
You might be onto something. I googled "Obama our way of life" and some interesting reading came up. Then there's this piece in the Guardian that I'm still reading which is making sense of my deja-vu.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:37 am
Obama hates white people like his mother and grandmother. Those tears on November 3rd must have been tears of happiness to see another dead cracker!

I think what is hilarious is that during the campaign conservatives were all about pointing out that Obama is half white and how that never gets mentioned, and now it's back to making sure to stay clear of the fact he's half white when making claims that he is racist against white people.

In the face of all the right's claims that the left is "race obsessed" it's very telling to watch their talking heads reduce Obama to a scary and angry black man.

T
K
O
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:40 am
@Diest TKO,
To be fair, I think some of this would be happening even if Obama were white. His otherness gives it that extra oomph.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:41 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

To be fair, I think some of this would be happening even if Obama were white. His otherness gives it that extra oomph.

Well, that 'special sauce' acts like a multiplier on top of the regular crazy. It helps unite the various hate groups.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:59 am
Every conceivable insult was heaped on George Bush publicly, including numerous accusations that he was behind 9/11, but I guess Obama should be immune.