BECK'S WAR AGAINST SOCIAL JUSTICE

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
Glenn Beck has gone to war against social justice. But I think that the right in general has been engaged in this war for as long as I can remember.

RADICAL RIGHT
Beck's War Against Social Justice

Fox News' radical host Glenn Beck recently told his listeners to "run as fast as you can" if they find their church preaching "social justice," claiming it is a "perversion of the Gospel." "Social justice was the rallying cry," he argued, "on both the communist front and the fascist front. This is not an American idea." Beck even told his listeners to report preachers of social justice to the authorities: "If you have a priest that is pushing social justice, go find another parish. Go alert your bishop." Christian leaders of all denominations -- from progressive Jim Wallis to arch-conservative Southern Baptist theologian Albert Mohler -- have challenged Beck's attack on social justice. Religious scholars of Beck's adopted faith, the Church of Latter-Day Saints, have explained that social justice is essential to Mormonism. Bread for the World is asking Beck to "[q]uit using [his] bully pulpit to spread misinformation and fear." Wallis has initiated a petition at Sojourners, his social justice organization, for people to let Glenn Beck know they are social justice Christians. In response, Beck has announced that the "hammer is coming" down on Sojourners and Wallis, whom he claims is a "Marxist." Despite Beck's threats, Wallis has repeated his invitation to sit down and have "an open and public discussion on what social justice really means."

WHAT IS 'SOCIAL JUSTICE'?: The concept of social justice runs throughout the Old and New Testaments and includes such virtues as "caring the for the poor and speaking about human rights," explains Pastor Michael Hidalgo. Social justice, the Center for Social and Economic Justice defines, "is the virtue which guides us in creating those organized human interactions we call institutions." "The poor have the most urgent moral claim on the conscience of the nation," writes the Catholic Office for Social Justice. Social justice necessarily involves the government and the economy. As Peg Chamberlain, President of the National Council of Churches, explains, "one cannot claim to be following the teachings of Scripture while also saying that Jesus and the prophets cared nothing for economic justice and that a discussion of such principles has no place in the Church." The ideas of economic justice, workers' rights, and redistribution of wealth are "in no way foreign to the biblical text." There are certainly disputes among progressive and conservative religious traditions about the proper application of social justice, particularly between the role of material needs and faith. However, to reject the concept entirely is to reject the church -- not one parish or priest, but all.

ECONOMIC JUSTICE: Economic justice is central to communities of faith, who warn against economic systems unconstrained by social justice. The global financial meltdown was not just an economic failure, writes Center for American Progress Senior Policy Adviser for Faith and Progressive Policy Sally Steenland, but also a "moral crisis that exposes the fatal flaws of unfettered capitalism and rebukes the worship of free-market forces whose excesses are having brutal consequences for everyday Americans." "What is really broken in our economy," writes Center for American Progress Senior Fellow Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite, "is that it no longer works for all the people." Churches and synagogues are on the front lines of providing financial advice to those abused by the mortgage industry. More than 40 different religious denominations and faith traditions are part of PICO, "a national network of faith-based community organiza tions" working "to increase access to health care, improve public schools, make neighborhoods safer, build affordable housing, redevelop communities and revitalize democracy." President Obama was once a community organizer as part of the Gamaliel Network, a "multi-faith, multi-ethnic, multi-political, multi-cultural" non-partisan group that works for comprehensive immigration reform, health care for all, and economic opportunities for low-income people.

FAITH IN PUBLIC LIFE: Glenn Beck claims his attacks on social justice are based on his support for the "separation of church and state," even though he is simultaneously promoting David Barton, a radical pseudo-historian who wants to eliminate those walls. Beck does not distinguish the difference between imposing one's religious views on others and acts of civic and public engagement motivated by faith. However, millions of Americans working for a more just society without requiring everyone else's allegiance to their own private faith. Instead they recognize the universal messages of healing the sick, caring for creation, and providing refuge to immigrants. Faith in Public Life is a multi-faith group that works for "advancing the common good in the public square," including the Forty Days for Health Reform project. Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good is promoting initiatives like Go Green for Lent, following the Vatican's lead as the world's first carbon-neutral state. "Now is the time for followers of Christ to help solve the global warming crisis," says the Evangelical Climate Initiative. Galen Carey of the National Association of Evangelicals has called for Congress to "pass meaningful immigration reform this year." Christians for Comprehensive Immigration Reform are planning a march on Washington on March 21, unwilling to stand by "as our broken immigration system rips families apart, and anger, frustration, and misunderstanding divide our nation."

-- americanprogressaction.org

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,968 • Replies: 21
No top replies

JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:47 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
Despite Beck's threats, Wallis has repeated his invitation to sit down and have "an open and public discussion on what social justice really means."

If Beck sat down in a discussion with anyone with half a brain, his dog and pony show would be done, finished, kaput, over, dead in the water, ... .

Same goes for Limbaugh, Banality, O'Lielly, ... .
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:03 pm
Ah, yes, I wonder when he will fall to a scandal. What will it be?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:59 pm
I guess Beck is an Ayn Rand acolyte. Any notion of voluntarily helping someone is communistic. Of course, this is the view of many, if not most, on the right.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:40 am
@Advocate,
You are absolutely right, the only sort of help the right allows is a bank loan at interest.

Ayn Rand's ghost walks among us and her words are lighting the torch of the seemingly short lived Neo-Cons.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:00 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Any notion of voluntarily helping someone is communistic.

I think their argument is the opposite. I've heard them say that they think all charity should be voluntary. When the state or government does it, it's forcing people to do charity which they oppose.

Of course, I may be wrong about their view, but I've heard that expressed several times.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:17 am
@maporsche,
But Christian charity is voluntary. It sounds like Beck is saying that Christian efforts at "social justice" are wrong, not just government efforts.
maporsche

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:21 am
@engineer,
I agree thats what the article makes it sound like. I'd like to hear his actual words on the subject....actually I wouldn't, I really don't care about Beck and can't stand listening to him.

There is quite a bit of 'social justice' that I'd oppose too. I'm all for equality under the law and all that.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
Beck alarms me as a propagandist. People who are uninformed about an issue may be attracted to his arguments.

Jon Stewart called him "the man who speaks the mind of people who have no mind".
Advocate

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:25 am
Are some people still pushing for a Beck/Palin Republican ticket? I guess they are made for each other.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:02 pm
@wandeljw,
Remember that guy with the last name Savage? He came and went quickly. Although Ann Coulter fails to disappear. Who knows? The country is in a lather of ignorance now and Beck could be another Coulter.
maporsche

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:49 am
@plainoldme,
He's still on the radio and has apretty popular show from what I understand. His name is Michael Savage.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
So apropos that is real name is Michael Wiener.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:37 pm
Quote:
Moron Wars! Michael Savage Trashes Glenn Beck
On his radio show yesterday, Michael Savage took issue with the Obama administration’s accusations of partisanship against Fox News, calling the entire controversy a “kabuki play” generated for ratings and a bid for News Corporation (Fox News’ parent company) to expand business. Savage also took aim at Glenn Beck, saying Beck might soon be muzzled with a “bit in his mouth” by his bosses at Fox News. Savage proceeded to call Beck a dim-witted con artist:

[video available and guess who's standing next to Savage]

Savage isn’t the only top far-right talker to trash Beck. Last month, Mark Levin, another top 10 radio show host, called Beck “mindless,” “incoherent,” and “pathetic.”

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/143488/moron_wars!_michael_savage_trashes_glenn_beck
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:40 pm
justice is everyone getting what they deserve, it is not about everyone getting the same thing. I think Beck believes in social justice, but does not agree with the bastardized definition that is currently all the rage in idiot circles.
djjd62

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:42 pm
@maporsche,
savage is a laugh riot, not sure if he's meant to be, but he is
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Beck has not the brains to know which is which or what is what.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:17 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Beck has not the brains to know which is which or what is what.

He did not get to where he is by accident. Neither did Paris Hilton. The jury is still out on Sarah Palin.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Freak shows always have a following.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:53 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Freak shows always have a following.

It is beyond debate that he has showbiz and political talent, how well thought out it is IDK