Glenn Beck is a wacko liar for money; his latest is his new "university"?

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:10 am
Glenn Beck is a wacko liar for money ---BBB
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Glenn Beck's new "university?"
Commentary: Glenn Beck's truth
By Leonard Pitts Jr. | The Miami Herald

Augustus Merryweather IV glanced up at the tapping on his office door. Harvey Carbunkle stood there in bow tie and shirt sleeves, smiling eagerly from behind horn-rimmed glasses. Augustus sighed. He hated this part of the job. It was never fun to let people go.

He waved the young man to a seat, spoke without preamble. "Harvey, I'm afraid it's not working out."

The eager face fell like a refrigerator from a moving truck. "You're firing me?"

"I have no choice. Your work, well...it hasn't been up to the standard we expect for an editor at Merryweather Publishing. Frankly, I'm surprised. When I saw that you were a graduate of BU, I couldn't wait to hire you. Boston University turns out some great students."

"I didn't go to Boston University," Harvey said.

"Baylor, then. Still a great school."

"I didn't go to Baylor."

"But your resume says you graduated BU."

A proud smile. "Yes, sir. That's Beck University."

Augustus was confused. "I've never heard of..."

"Beck University!" said Harvey, the smile widening. "You know, Glenn Beck? He has that show on CNN. Also, that novel, that other book, that radio program, that standup act, that line of athletic shoes and that cologne. He founded an online university back in 2010 so people could learn the real truth they don't get in your so-called 'universities.'" He made air quotes.

"So, when you rejected that Martin Luther King biography because it didn't mention how white conservatives started the civil rights movement..."

A sharp nod. "I learned that at Beck U."

"And when you told the author of that book on religion that 'pinko commie' is the preferred term for preachers who talk about social and economic justice..."

"Beck U."

"And when you asked why there was no reference to Nazi death panels euthanizing children in that book on health care reform..."

"Yes, sir! Beck U."

Augustus sank back into his chair. "Beck me," he muttered.

"Beg pardon?"

Augustus regarded the man who perched before him. "Harvey," he said after a moment, "you can't believe all that garbage they filled your head with. None of that stuff is true! It's just the rantings of a paranoid nutjob living in an alternate reality. The facts -- "

Harvey shrank back, looking horrified. "No, sir!" he shouted. "No, sir! Professor Beck warned us about people like you. He said you'd try to confuse us with all your 'facts' and your `'logic' and your 'reason.' Well, Harvey Walter Carbunkle is on to your game!"

All at once, Augustus felt tired. He felt old. "Very well," he said. "Believe what you want. But we've still got to let you go. You're not qualified."

Harvey appeared to contemplate this. He shrugged. "That's OK," he said. "Now I'll have time to pursue my graduate work at the U of L."

Augustus sat up straight. "Louisiana?"

"Limbaugh."

"Of course," said Augustus, dropping back into the chair.

Harvey's expression was pitying. "I wish I could help you see how wrong you are. You think the world is about 'facts' and 'knowledge' and 'information' you can 'prove.' The lamestream media has you fooled and you don't even know it." Abruptly he turned away, gnawing a knuckle.

"Well," said Augustus, "I suppose we'll just have to agree to -- " He stopped, alarmed. "My God, man, are you crying?"

Harvey's eyes were glistening. His voice wobbled like a toddler. "I'm sorry," he gasped. "It's just..." His voice tore. He bit his lip, lifted his palm, took a steadying breath, then tried again. "It's just that I love my country so much and I'm frightened for her future."

Augustus shook his head. "I know just how you feel," he said.

ABOUT THE WRITER

Leonard Pitts Jr., winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for commentary, is a columnist for the Miami Herald.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,346 • Replies: 44
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:23 am
I love Leonard Pitts. I hadn't seen this piece yet -- thanks!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:33 am
@boomerang,
He can be funny while being clever, don't you think?

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:54 am
the more attention given to Beck, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Palin, the stupider the left looks.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:24 am
@dyslexia,
Yeah, it's good to just let the Joseph McCarthy's of the world have their say. No harm can possibly come from that.
snood

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:09 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Yeah, it's good to just let the Joseph McCarthy's of the world have their say. No harm can possibly come from that.

Yeh -what could happen, right?
parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:39 am
@snood,
The McCarthy's of the world get along just fine until they decide to accuse the military of being unpatriotic.

Palin, Beck et al will eventually reveal they have no sense of decency. But it probably will require a Joseph Welch to point it out live on TV.
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:22 pm
@boomerang,
I do not love Pitts even if he happen to be right here and funny beside.

He is a racist as when an attacked from behind by six black hoodlums on a white student for the crime of being white occur he was crying for the poor attackers being mistreated by the criminal justice system.

If this no reason attack had occur on a black student I am damn sure he would not had been crying for the white attackers!

Oh it was call the Jena 6 or some such.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:27 pm
@parados,
Quote:
The McCarthy's of the world get along just fine until they decide to accuse the military of being unpatriotic.

Nothing unpatriotic about huge segments of the military covering up war crimes. Hell, covering up criminal activity is as American as apple pie. Look to the Bush, Reagan, Bush, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Johnson, ... administrations.
parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm
@BillRM,
That's interesting Bill, since even the appeals courts agreed that the initial assualt charges were wrong and sent it back to be charged in juvenile courts.

But I suppose the appeals court was just crying out how the poor attackers were mistreated by the criminal justice system rather than making a legal ruling on how they were mistreated.
parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:32 pm
@JTT,
But then there is a difference between the McCarthy's of the world and the JTT's that stand on their soap box on the corner of Elm and Main and rant to those that walk by.

The men in white coats won't accuse the JTT's of this world of having no decency, just of having no sense of reality.
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
@parados,
Yes indeed and I am sure Pitt would been defending those hoodlums if they had been white!!!!!!

They attacked a young man from behind with no warning and knock him out for the crime of being white and only the fact that adults stop the attack likely save the child life.

Whatever the appeals courts rule or did not rule this was a hate crime of the very worst kind.

parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:44 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Whatever the appeals courts rule or did not rule this was a hate crime of the very worst kind.

Damn the facts.... why not just admit it Bill, you want this to be about race.
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:46 pm
@parados,
Quote:
The men in white coats won't accuse the JTT's of this world of having no decency, just of having no sense of reality.

Pointing a finger, in some obscure thread time and distant from the record of misdeeds and yelling, "Commie commie", is as McCarthy as McCarthy was, Parados.

Have you no sense of honor, no sense of decency, Sir?
JTT

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:50 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Damn the facts....

Lord, the hypocrisy, Parados. You might have waited a posting or two.
parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:50 pm
@JTT,
Have you no sense of humor sir at long last? Have you left no sense of humor?

Quote:
Pointing a finger, in some obscure thread
But that is the whole point JTT. In obscurity, there will be no need for the Welch's of the world because the world is oblivious when the person has no power. You are free to say whatever you want and no one will care. I am all for you doing so.
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:51 pm
@parados,
As at least some of the attackers admitted that they attack the kid because he was white and for no other reason it is about race and is a racist hate crime.

Strange I would not had care one little bit if the justice system had come down hard on 6 white students who did a similar attack on a black child and yet Pitts only saw the color of the attackers skin.

And for that reason he is a racist.

Second, if a white writer had taken the same position as Mr. Pitt concerning an attack by 6 white student on a black student I would had consider that writer a racist also.
parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Damn the facts....

Lord, the hypocrisy, Parados. You might have waited a posting or two.

For what? You to tell us how a tennis shoe is a deadly weapon when wielded by a black kid and how it always leads to death of white kids when attacked with one?
parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:56 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
He is a racist as when an attacked from behind by six black hoodlums on a white student for the crime of being white occur he was crying for the poor attackers being mistreated by the criminal justice system.

Even the justice system said they were mistreated Bill.

Pitt's never argued they had the right to attack anyone. They were mistreated because they were charged with crimes that weren't warranted by the circumstances of their actions. Yes, they attacked someone. Yes, they did it because he was white. That doesn't change the fact that they were charged for MORE than they actually did. Even the courts agreed with that on appeal.
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:59 pm
@parados,
The shoe knock the kid out and the attack then continue by 6 teenagers aim at one teenager that was knock out and unable to defend himself.

That sound like a damn serious and life threating attack to me!!!!!!