You learn something new every day

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:44 pm
@Nevermind,
If you want to substantiate your claim about drug references, you do the leg work. Basically, i'm calling bullshit.

And that goes for that pathetic crap about the name Alice, too.
Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Basically, i'm calling bullshit.

Basically, I'm calling yawn on you. I don't care whether you agree with my opinion or not kiddo. But here's some reading for you since you seem to be too lazy to do a simple search.

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/explain/alice816.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 08:11 pm
You're the one making extravagant claims, why should i do any search, simple or otherwise?

The page you linked does not support your claim to the effect that Alice in Wonderland "is full of drug references." One swallow does not a summer make. The entirety of that brief article is speculative. Read the last paragraph again, it's a disclaimer. The woman who maintains the page states that she works in IT, and studied business administration--she doesn't mention whether or not she got a degree. Hardly an unimpeachable source, and certainly not a source which supports a claim that the book is full of drug references.

What about that bullshit about the name Alice, are you seriously going to try to back that one up?
Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What about that bullshit about the name Alice, are you seriously going to try to back that one up?

Is your Mom's name Alice or something? You seem a wee bit sensitive about this whole issue. Too bad Freud isn't alive because he could analyze your oedipal complex.

There's been 3 major "Alice" examples already listed here (song, story and even real life as the first post states). I think 3 major references is significant enough to comment on. I don't care if you disagree. You're either taking this thread way too serious or you're just bored and looking to argue.

Try reading the SOURCE ARTICLE and website. It's full of information from people who have actually studied the issue. Again, it doesn't matter whether you agree or not, but go ahead and knock yourself out thinking about this.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:24 pm
@Nevermind,
what about Alice the maid from the Brady Bunch..?

I think she was high as a kite.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:29 pm
@Rockhead,
she doesn't live there anymore.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:32 pm
@dyslexia,
damn.

I gotta quit with the flippin' Nickelodian...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:34 pm
@dyslexia,
Did she sell the resturant, then?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:39 pm
@roger,
the resturant was unionized and alice could no longer afford the wait and cook staff.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:41 pm
@dyslexia,
I recall the Hotel & Resturant Workers Union from the time I lived in Springfield, Il. They didn't have stewards. They had bagmen collecting the dues.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:58 pm
@roger,
man, it's a good thing arlo wrote the song first, I'm thinkin' the union mighta give him another verse to sing...

then there's mr cooper.

was he a drug walking reference?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:02 pm
I bet Alice Ghostly did a bag a day.
Eva

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Go ask her.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:19 pm
@Eva,
Can't. She's dead.
0 Replies

Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 10:33 pm
Alice Cooper has a huge bong.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:06 pm
Nothing new today, huh?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:25 pm
Dear God, I remember watching "Alice's restaurant" in the theater. I thought it was the best film I had ever seen up to that point............but as time marches on, Alice's restaurant didn't age very well. Even Arlo's sceens at the draft physical aren't the pee in your pants comedy pieces I once thought they were. What can you do, I was very, very young. Anybody remember Alice's cookbook? One was actually published.....and what about the Whole Earth Catalog? (at least I think that's what it was called.

To be perfectly upfront, I also thought "Easy Rider" was life changing. I didn't buy a motorcycle or use drugs, but it seemed to be a complete expose on intolerance. But again, I was very young.....and I enjoyed the hell out of both the movies back in the day. It was a great break from the sugary Doris Day/Rock Hudson crap that no one my age related to. If some of you think Pillow Talk was the best romantic comedy you ever saw, please forgive me.....I was very young.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:26 am
@glitterbag,

not "the best" but I enjoyed Pillow Talk

I liked Doris Day

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:50 am
@glitterbag,
I liked Doris Day's singing, and still do, but after Blackboard Jungle opened with Rock Around the Clock, things were never the same.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:09 am
@roger,

I don 't think she was IN that movie.