You learn something new every day

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:42 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

You know when you get into a new car or a friends car and you have to fill it up with gas... and just as you pull up to the pump, there is always that little moment of panic, which side is the gas tank on? If you look at the little gas indicator thingy on the dash there is a small arrow on one side or the other, this tells you where the tank is.

I did not know that!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 07:37 am
Men attending the delivery of their first baby often worry that they will not know what to do. I found out that you only need to comfort and support your wife. Otherwise, stay out of the way of the nurse and obstetrician! Let them do what they are experts at.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 08:33 am
When I took our rental car (a Kia) to get gas the first time, it took ten minutes to figure out how to open the gas cap. Then, when I did find the button (located on the door) it did not work the first three times I tried it. I'm too out of step with the newer cars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 08:54 am
I learned - was reminded, actually - that the number of grammys won by Elvis Presley is zero.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 01:58 pm
The Babylonian base 60 numerical system as defined by hours, minutes, seconds and degrees. Their invention of zero but only as a place holder not as a number.

As a broad-band resonant filer a series RC circuit acts as a band-pass whereas parallel RC circuit act as a band-stop, taking into account Q = XL/R being a function of the dB slope per octave and of course Tau = RC and Tau = L/R.
Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:06 pm
Oops typo, I meant "series LC" and "parallel LC".

Actually I probably knew all those things when I was 15 but I have not thought about them much, until I started teaching about a year ago.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:50 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
As a broad-band resonant filer a series RC circuit acts as a band-pass whereas parallel RC circuit act as a band-stop, taking into account Q = XL/R being a function of the dB slope per octave and of course Tau = RC and Tau = L/R.

Know it? I don't have the foggiest idea of what it means even.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:51 pm
a sunrise all alone in the flint hills rivals fine art.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:55 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

You know when you get into a new car or a friends car and you have to fill it up with gas... and just as you pull up to the pump, there is always that little moment of panic, which side is the gas tank on? If you look at the little gas indicator thingy on the dash there is a small arrow on one side or the other, this tells you where the tank is.

My God, the woman was right. I just checked.
Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:09 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The world would be a very boring place without resonance!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:32 pm
@roger,
Quote:
My God, the woman was right. I just checked.

I'm almost embarrased to say this but I knew that. Noticed it a long time ago mainly because I was renting a lot of cars.
0 Replies

Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:23 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I just learned Alice B. Toklas was the person credit for coming up with hash brownies.

It's weird how the name "Alice" is connected to various drug references.

As in the lyrics "go ask Alice, when she's 10 feet tall" by Jefferson Airplane and Alice in Wonderland.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:25 pm
@Nevermind,
You do know, don't you, that the Alice referred to in the Jefferson Airplane tune "White Rabbit" is Alice as in Alice in Wonderland?
Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You do know, don't you, that the Alice referred to in the Jefferson Airplane tune "White Rabbit" is Alice as in Alice in Wonderland?

Yeah. I just edited to add it before I saw your post. AIW is full of drug references too.

Have you seen Grace Slick lately? She's an artist now and she's done some pieces on Alice in Wonderland and White Rabbit.

http://www.nohola.com/Archives/2002/Oct02L/img/artgraceWhiteRabbitnWndrlnd.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:31 pm
I know of no reason to assume that Mr. Dodgson (Charles Dodgson was also know as Lewis Carroll) was involved in drugs, or that there are any references to drugs in his works. I suggest to you that people looking for that kind of thing will find it if they want to.
spendius

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
a sunrise all alone in the flint hills rivals fine art.

What!!?? Tight basques, 8" heels, fishnet stockings with a crooked seam and a hole near the top and an imperious mien.

Are you kidding Rockie?
0 Replies

Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:35 pm
Before they chose Sammy Hagar to replace David Lee Roth, Van Halen asked Patty Smyth to be their lead singer. She said No. She's married to ex-tennis player John McEnroe. I saw her at the grocery store not long ago. She's very tiny.
0 Replies

Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I suggest to you that people looking for that kind of thing will find it if they want to.

And people not looking for that type of thing won't see it. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:50 pm
People who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proof. I see you simply make the contention, without providing any proof.
Nevermind

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:16 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
People who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proof. I see you simply make the contention, without providing any proof.

Are you speaking to me? You should quote.

I didn't make any claims. Re-read what I posted. I didn't post that Charles Dodgson was on drugs. I said the story has a lot of "drug references" which have been well-documented by many people for years. If you're curious, just do a simple search and it's all there. My original point was about the name Alice, not whether a particular author was a cokehead.

By the way, many historic figures (such as Sigmund Freud) were actually drug addicts. Back then they didn't have the same info we have now. It's really not that shocking to think some of the most famous stories written could possibly be influenced by drugs. It's really naive to think otherwise.