Texas public schools required to teach the bible this year!

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:35 pm
http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

"Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year"

No other major religious texts are covered by this law , only the bible. Somehow, islam which has 1.5 billion followers, hinduism which has a billion followers, judaism with it hundreds of millions of followers and athesism which has hundreds of millions of followers and many other religions aren't important enough to be considered influential. Chrisitianity is somehow more important than the other religions.

Can anyone here guess which party was behind this law...

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/2009/08/08/0808bible.html

And get a load of this. Here's what GOP Rep. Warren Chisum who was the main guy that fought to pass this garbage had to say about evolution:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Blogs/News/?oid=oid:447510

In addition to promoting this law, he also promotes the bizarre idea that the sun revolves around the Earth according to the Austin Chronicle.

And here's what he says about the supposed dominance of Jews in Academic fields...

"What kind of ‘Jewish physics’ is it that has garnered 26% of all the Nobel Prizes awarded to all the Physicists in the world when the total Jewish population is only one-forth of 1% of the world’s population? ... The stated theological mission of Talmud/Kabbala-based Judaism is to destroy the credibility of Jesus and Bible-based Christianity.”

So because he is worried that there are too many jews winning noble peace prices, he fought to have the bible required reading in Texas Public Schools?

I can't wait till some fundamentalist christian teacher tries to teach the bible as fact and those that dont agree with her will recieve low grades. When it comes to the bible alot of christians cant have a neutral discussion about it. They believe it to be factual and will attempt to impose that belief of their students.

Why the hell are idiots like this in congress? And why are they passing laws about what kids are taught in school.

roger

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:41 pm
@Centroles,
Centroles wrote:

I can't wait till some fundamentalist christian teacher tries to teach the bible as fact and those that dont agree with her will recieve low grades. When it comes to the bible alot of christians cant have a neutral discussion about it. They believe it to be factual and will attempt to impose that belief of their students.

Count on it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:42 pm
Shocked

Drunk
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:45 pm
Idiots.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:51 pm
I hope the state tax payers are ready to pay for all the lawsuits that will be filed against this TexAss ruling.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:52 pm
as Barry Goldwater said about the christian right----
Quote:
I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.

Oh, hi Okie, I didn't see you there.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 06:42 pm
@Centroles,
Centroles wrote:

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10933571

"Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year"

No other major religious texts are covered by this law , only the bible. Somehow, islam which has 1.5 billion followers, hinduism which has a billion followers, judaism with it hundreds of millions of followers and athesism which has hundreds of millions of followers and many other religions aren't important enough to be considered influential. Chrisitianity is somehow more important than the other religions.

Can anyone here guess which party was behind this law...

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/region/legislature/stories/2009/08/08/0808bible.html

And get a load of this. Here's what GOP Rep. Warren Chisum who was the main guy that fought to pass this garbage had to say about evolution:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Blogs/News/?oid=oid:447510

In addition to promoting this law, he also promotes the bizarre idea that the sun revolves around the Earth according to the Austin Chronicle.

And here's what he says about the supposed dominance of Jews in Academic fields...

"What kind of ‘Jewish physics’ is it that has garnered 26% of all the Nobel Prizes awarded to all the Physicists in the world when the total Jewish population is only one-forth of 1% of the world’s population? ... The stated theological mission of Talmud/Kabbala-based Judaism is to destroy the credibility of Jesus and Bible-based Christianity.”

So because he is worried that there are too many jews winning noble peace prices, he fought to have the bible required reading in Texas Public Schools?

Why the hell are idiots like this in congress? And why are they passing laws about what kids are taught in school.

Uh; there are only 14 million Jews on this planet. Are you counting Jews on another planet?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 07:06 pm
It pains me very deeply to agree with Foofie about anything, but there aren't hundreds of millions of Jews, even when counting confessional Jews, as well as ethnic Jews. I also doubt that there are hundreds of millions of convinced atheists. You leave out Sikhs altogether, and there's a hell of a lot more Sikhs in the world than there are Jews--twice as many.

This would be a wonderful opportunity for you to inform yourself about the world's religions--you haven't even come close to canvassing all the possibilities. Like many people in a Christian culture, you only know of the religions which are too big to be ignored.
You might start by reviewing this page at religious tolerance-dot-org.
BillRM

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
@Centroles,
The ACLU exist even in Texas so good luck with this program.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:00 pm
@Centroles,
Is there a copy of the actual LAW posted online somewhere? I don't see any reference to the actual legal [language] document in the KLTV.com story.
JPB

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:09 pm
@rosborne979,
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01287F.htm
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:21 pm
@JPB,

Without studying it too deeply, it seems to say that school districts MAY offer an ELECTIVE course on the Bible.

I think the whole idea of writing laws designed to allow schools to provide elective courses on a SPECIFIC religious text seem ill-conceived, but at least this law doesn't seem to mandate the teaching of the Bible (as the original article implied). Unless I'm reading the law incorrectly (and that's entirely possible).
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:22 pm
oh........no.
i am embarrassed to be a texan...

actually let me rephrase that

I am embarrassed to live here. Not texan. No way no how. Im no texan.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:29 pm
@rosborne979,
It actually seems to require the schools to offer the elective. Doesn't require anyone to take it.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/aug/17/wylie-to-offer-bible-course/

Quote:
In 2007 the Legislature passed a bill requiring school districts to offer high school electives on the Bible starting in the 2009-10 school year. The bill said the class should, “teach students knowledge of biblical content, characters, poetry, and narratives that are prerequisites to understanding contemporary society and culture, including literature, art, music, mores, oratory, and public policy.”

The course can be an English or social studies elective.

However, no money was allocated for training or instructional materials.

looks like the discussion on this will continue

Quote:
Since the legislation passed, an attorney general’s opinion said districts are allowed, but are not required, to offer the elective course. However, the opinion said “religious literature” must be covered in some part of the overall curriculum, like exploring biblical references in Shakespeare’s plays.

That’s how Abilene ISD plans to cover the material, although the district may consider adding a Bible literacy course as an elective in future school years, said Gaile Thompson, AISD executive director of secondary education.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

It actually seems to require the schools to offer the elective. Doesn't require anyone to take it.

well damn.
there went my fantasies of early retirement on THAT lawsuit..

sheesh
ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:38 pm
@shewolfnm,
You'll do better with this http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/aug/16/KKK-propaganda/ I think.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:05 pm
@Centroles,
How does it follow that studying the Bible is interpreted as a strictly Christian activity? The Old Testament, which is quite a bit longer than the N ew Testament, is the basis of Judaeism.
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:07 am
@Merry Andrew,
I would have a ball teaching about the bible in pubic school beginning with the works of two of the founding fathers concerning the bible. Jefferson and Paine and then going on using as a study guide Asimov "Intelligent man guide to the Bible'.

And how could the right wing complain about using US founding fathers as reference to the bible as they always are claiming the founding fathers was all good Christians <grin>.

Lord some of the actions God had command his people to do would even turn the stomach of a dog killer/torturer such as Vick.

Within a month the good Christians would be demanding no more bible study in the public schools.
aidan

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:31 am
@BillRM,
*(this quote is from the second article Centroles linked)
Quote:
Legislators had built safeguards into the law that were meant to ensure the class on the Bible's impact on history and literature of Western civilization would be taught in an "objective, academic manner that neither promotes nor disparages religion," and not "from a particular sectarian point of view," according to the law.

Those protections included mandated teacher training, state-approved training materials and curriculum standards deemed constitutional by the state attorney general.

I wouldn't have a problem with my kid having the option of taking a course on the Bible's impact on history and literature of Western civilization taught in an 'objective, academic manner that neither promotes nor disparages religion.' What could be wrong with that? It's education. When I was a senior in highschool I took an elective course on Greek and Roman Mythology that ran in conjunction and concurrently with a course on Ancient Greek and Roman history. That pairing was one of the highlights of my high school education as I remember it.

Quote:
The Texas Education Agency told school districts that it would not provide the training and materials because the Legislature did not budget the $750,000 to do so.

This is where the problem comes in - which is exactly where I figured it would. No money for new teachers, curriculum or training.

That's how those Texans are gonna end up with nutcases and law suits overrunning what could have been a wonderful new learning opportunity for their kids.
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:14 am
@aidan,
I wouldn't have a problem with my kid having the option of taking a course on the Bible's impact on history and literature of Western civilization taught in an 'objective, academic manner that neither promotes nor disparages religion.' What could be wrong with that? It's education. When I was a senior in highschool I took an elective course on Greek and Roman Mythology that ran in conjunction and concurrently with a course on Ancient Greek and Roman history. That pairing was one of the highlights of my high school education as I remember it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem with that is that is not the real goal of the law as we all know it is to promote the right wing Christian faith and little else.

And you can not on it face teach in an objective and academic manner this silly if interesting book without causing great pain to the right wings nuts who wish the law in the first place.

The impact of this book and the faith that had growth out of this book had resulted in mountains of dead bodies for the last two thousands years and that fact would be hard to cover up in an objective course.