A Sincere Suggestion Regarding Healthcare

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 10:58 am
I am watching C-span...just finished watching Grassley.

Every single person whining and complaining and listing laundry lists of complaints about government run healthcare sucking and how it's going to be the end of America is white,ancient and on medicare and/or medicaid. they also can barely spit out a whole sentence without forgetting their place. If you hate it so much and you want to save the country money because you're such a patriot... get the hell off medicare and medicaid and crawl into bed and die, just please shut the hell up.

Green Witch

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:18 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I just want any Congressman who votes against a government plan to be forced to go private with their own health care. They should have to buy their own health insurance from an independent insurance company instead of being supported with the current tax payers program. What they think is good for all Americans should be good enough for them.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:38 am
@Green Witch,
true true true
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:41 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi- Have you gotten across this message to your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and in-laws? Maybe the government should euthanize everyone over 65, so the country can have more money to treat illegal aliens!! Evil or Very Mad
ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
Good Phoenix,

Why not get all of your small-minded, hate-filled Right-Wing talking points in one post. ((You missed the the part about taking away your grandparents guns))
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:58 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Bi- Have you gotten across this message to your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and in-laws? Maybe the government should euthanize everyone over 65, so the country can have more money to treat illegal aliens!! Evil or Very Mad

it depends... if my own relatives are like those idiots on c-span screaming about how the government sucks while taking advantage of government plans.... using any excuse to scream about unrelated crap like "don't touch my guns" and birther horse ****... then yeah... let 'em crawl in bed and go to heaven... since most of these people are "christians" anyway they'll be going to join the angels and their problems will be over. we all die and you don't get to pick your relatives.

as far as illegal immigrants go I've made it quite clear I break with my "lib'ral" brethren and think there is no place for illegals in this country or any other sovereign country for that matter so you see the default illegal argument doesn't work with me.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:58 am
@ebrown p,
ebrownp- I am simply responding to Bi-, who did not sound like the fountain of good will in his post. He also does not seem to understand the differences between Medicaid, which is a government handout, and Medicare, which is health insurance paid by seniors.

Actually, you have absolutely no idea of my "take" on this issue, so take a chill pill and relax.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:03 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I have a very clear idea of your take on this issue (it is not hard) that I bet is accurate. But, that is not the point.

The fear-mongering... and now hate-mongering... being used to kill health care reform is asinine.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:04 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
it depends... if my own relatives are like those idiots on c-span screaming about how the government sucks while taking advantage of government plans.... using any excuse to scream about unrelated crap like "don't touch my guns" and birther horse ****... then yeah... let 'em crawl in bed and go to heaven... since most of these people are "christians" anyway they'll be going to join the angels and their problems will be over. we all die and you don't get to pick your relatives.

Bi- IMO, you are painting with too broad a brush, lumping health plans, guns, and Christians. Not everybody can be thrown into one pot. I become upset when a hard working person can't get insurance, and a deadbeat gets free care on Medicaid. Now THAT'S unfair!
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:06 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrownp- No, you have no idea of what I think. Basically, I believe that the health care system in this country sucks, and that it needs to be changed. I just don't want any changes that will come back to bite us in the ass later. Any new plan needs to be crafted very, very carefully.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:10 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hmmm, so poor equals "deadbeat". I assure you that it's often not the case. Many people who have ended up on medicad are middle class people forced into bankruptcy by health care bills.

If people want some facts they can check out this site:

www.WhiteHouse.gov/realitycheck_
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:10 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:

Bi- IMO, you are painting with too broad a brush, lumping health plans, guns, and Christians. Not everybody can be thrown into one pot. I become upset when a hard working person can't get insurance, and a deadbeat gets free care on Medicaid. Now THAT'S unfair!
[/quote}

[color=#404040]Then you must understand my disgust that every republican "health care reform" town hall turns into exactly that... a bitch session by old white people railing against the fact that things are changing and using the forum to bitch about it instead of discussing the healthcare issue.... and elected representatives who stir the pot and encourage such behavior[/color]
ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:11 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Nah Phoenix, you are not that difficult to understand.

When I think of health care reform, my goal is to include as many people as possible.

When you think of health care reform, your goal is to exclude as many people as possible.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:21 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch- You got me that time. I knew right after I typed the word "deadbeat" that I too was painting with too broad a brush. There are many perfectly nice people, who, through no fault of their own, are facing a temporary problem. There are also people who are so severely disabled, that they can never work.

I think that Medicaid is appropriate for those groups. We are a rich country, and can afford to pay for people who either can't fend for themselves, or have been thrown into a fix, not of their doing.

The people who tick me off, are those who "work the system". I have one of those in my family, (who just had a very expensive ELECTIVE operation, paid for with your taxes), and have nothing but disdain for that person.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:32 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
Then you must understand my disgust that every republican "health care reform" town hall turns into exactly that... a bitch session by old white people railing against the fact that things are changing and using the forum to bitch about it instead of discussing the healthcare issue.... and elected representatives who stir the pot and encourage such behavior.

Bi- Sure, I understand and empathize with your disgust. I would much rather have people on both sides of the issue logically discuss issues, and not just bitch.

Unfortunately, there are rabble rousers who encourage this sort of behavior in others. It is the "squeaky wheel" syndrome. Some people figure that if they yell loud enough, they will get their point across. Too much of political debate is focused on emotional caterwauling, and I hate that too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:36 pm
@Phoenix32890,
My favorite Senator (republican) was Alan Simpson (Wyoming) was once talking about a fellow colleague who had been missing for over a year from the senate, Alan bumped into him and he explained he had had a triple by-pass costing nearly 1 million $ but he only had to pay $200. Alan responded "yes, me and all the other tax-payers footed the bill but none of them get the same treatment as we do."
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:41 pm
@dyslexia,
dys- I agree. I think that it is grossly unfair that the senate and house are treated differently from the rest of us plebeians. It would be much more equitable if they had the same choices as the rest of us. I think that if they had a personal interest in crafting a health bill, there would be less politics, and more logic.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:01 pm
@dyslexia,
I never understood this argument-- Senators and Representatives are employees. They do their jobs and get paid (with benefits) for their efforts.

My employer (a medium sized software corporation) pays for most of my coverage -- which is a pretty decent plan.

I believe as much as anyone that Congress should get off their butts and pass a good health care reform bill for any number of reasons.

But the fact remains that Americans with high-paying professional jobs have adequate health insurance paid for by their employers. That Congress members (who are in fact Americans with high-paying professional jobs) are included in this group seems like a red herring.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:25 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
But the fact remains that Americans with high-paying professional jobs have adequate health insurance paid for by their employers. That Congress members (who are in fact Americans with high-paying professional jobs) are included in this group seems like a red herring.

I agree that Congress members are highly paid professionals, as you are. The one big difference is that they do not work for a private corporation. They work for the government, and are paid theough taxes. Part of their jobs are to pass bills that affect citizens through their pocketbooks.

I think that if these folks had a personal stake in overhauling the health plan, they might do things a bit differently. As it is, they have little motivation, other than to see that they win the next election.

What this country needs are fewer politicians, and more statespeople!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:34 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I agree that Congress members are highly paid professionals, as you are. The one big difference is that they do not work for a private corporation. They work for the government, and are paid theough taxes. Part of their jobs are to pass bills that affect citizens through their pocketbooks.

I think that if these folks had a personal stake in overhauling the health plan, they might do things a bit differently. As it is, they have little motivation, other than to see that they win the next election.

Actually, your Congress members get health care similar to others elswewhere in the world - with the tiny difference that other citizens there get health care as well.

Here, in Germany, 40% of our (fedral, that's what I just looked up) lawmakers are in the normal, compulsary health insurance (= 50% paid by the state as employer, 50% taken from their salary, like with any other normal citizen).
The other 60% are in the (kind of) health insurance for civil servants: they pay their bill at first themselves, get about 50% back from the state, and pay the other 50% either themselves or via an additional insurance (which is less than half paid by the state).