divide between or among?

McTag

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:07 pm

Bold words. Rash, even.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:10 pm
@High Seas,
The idiot has returned spewing her nonsense far and wide.

Yes, High Seas, do raise that thread again. There are a number of questions awaiting you there that you seem unable to answer.
High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:14 pm
@JTT,
As a matter of charity I omitted a link to the Sotomayor thread, in which you labored under several delusions, including but by no means limited to
1. that affirmative action is decided by university admission offices, which,
2. you mistakenly called "admittance" offices (in what capacity did YOU attend a university, janitorial?!), plus,
3. that Sotomayor didn't have to spend years at university taking remedial English grammar and syntax classes.

At least she learned, but YOU never will, because, as the old saying goes,
"...it ain't what you don't know, it's what you know that just ain't so" <G>
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:40 pm
@High Seas,
My lord but you're scatterbrained, High Seas. Try to get a grip. See if you can hold onto one thought at a time. You raised the thread where you made so many erroneous statements about language. Address those issues, then maybe we can chat about other threads.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:16 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

As a matter of charity I omitted a link to the Sotomayor thread, in which you labored under several delusions, including but by no means limited to
1. that affirmative action is decided by university admission offices, which,
2. you mistakenly called "admittance" offices (in what capacity did YOU attend a university, janitorial?!), plus,
3. that Sotomayor didn't have to spend years at university taking remedial English grammar and syntax classes.

At least she learned, but YOU never will, because, as the old saying goes,
"...it ain't what you don't know, it's what you know that just ain't so" <G>

Hi, High Seas!
I hope that u r well.
I have had some extended discourse with JTT in the past,
on the subject of correct communication.

I did not and don 't consider him to be a bad person,
but his mind is so badly disorganized that explaining concepts to him
has been an exercise in futility. I 've also found him to be impolite.
Because of the irritations that he has presented and the hopelessness
of effective communication with him, and his rejection of logic,
preferring the adoption of error, I defensively put him on Ignore,
where he now remains. Since then, I have seen some of his assertions
when others have quoted him. He has not changed much, tho his lucidity
appears to vary considerably. Of course, there is always the chance
that u might have better luck in explaining things to him,
if u wish to exert the effort.

David
contrex

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I defensively put him on Ignore,

Thanks. I have only just realised that this is possible! Goodbye JTT, goodbye Gungasnake, goodbye Setanta...
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:37 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I defensively put him on Ignore, where he now remains.

If 'defensively' doesn't tell you all, Contrex, ... .

It hardly surprises me that you would take such a chickenshit approach.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 03:37 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Quote:
I defensively put him on Ignore,

Thanks. I have only just realised that this is possible! Goodbye JTT,
goodbye Gungasnake, goodbye Setanta...
Ignore is among this forum 's better blessings.
Congratulations, Contrex.
Yeah, Setanta is another one on my list
of the BANISHED to the lower dungeons.
Unlike JTT, Setanta is not actually stupid,
but he is intolerably caustic in the ubiquity of his rudeness.
The forum is a nicer place without him.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 03:41 pm
@jinmin1988,
Between for two people or items, among for more than two.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 03:46 pm
@gungasnake,
I'm sure that Jinmin thanks you, as do I, for your detailed and insightful analysis, Gunga, but it's likely that he or she will go with M-W.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 04:11 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Between for two people or items, among for more than two.

SO STIPULATED!

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 05:00 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Ignore is among this forum 's better blessings.
Congratulations, Contrex.

'ignore' is a feature that allows you and people like you to behave like children; sticking your fingers in your ears and humming to avoid unwelcome truths.

Another feature of this site that encourages this same infantile behavior is the "posting vote up/down" button. It allows the rubber neckers an opportunity to "offer their comments" with no thought required.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:04 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I believe that that's the lengthiest posting that I've ever seen from you on a language thread, Merry and there's nothing in it, at all, that addresses the language issue.

"Leave the use of the English language to the rest of you"; surely you jest.

Tell me, Merry, do you practice being obtuse or does it just come naturally to you.

The facts were there staring you right in the face!

Merriam Webster pointed out that you are wrong. Now let's let AHD and Encarta do the same.

============

American Heritage Dictionary

among

Usage Note:
According to a widely repeated but unjustified tradition, "between is used for two, and among for more than two."

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry;_ylt=AiYejhlLFmDDur7zqkOUHoKugMMF?id=B0218800
====================

Encarta

between

between or among?

Usage
Although some people insist on using among and not between when more than two items are involved, it is established usage to use between in this meaning as well, especially when among might sound too formal: They shared out the money equally between their five children. Among is never used when only two items are involved.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861590233

======================

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 10:02 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
But then you started to get nasty with McTag and Francis and fresco and . . .The list goes on. Glitterbag has become the latest poster to get her hackles up

Alright, Merry, you've made it abundantly clear that you lack the competence necessary to discuss the language issues.

So let's now deal with your prevarications. I did not get nasty with McTag, Francis or Fresco. I didn't even get nasty with you after you made error after error on language issues. I allowed you outs where it now seems that you were not deserving of them.

Glitterbag, a slightly different story. She, like a number of dishonest people hereabouts, could not bring herself to admit she was wrong, though she was dead wrong. Yet she continued to rant on, maligning not only herself - I can do nothing about self inflicted wounds - but maligning the very thing she erroneously thought she was defending, language.

She displayed an intellectual dishonesty in so quick a fashion it was breath taking. She asked for sources and when they were supplied, in ample fashion, she suggested that they wouldn't work for her, she wanted "English professors".

When I pointed out that there were problems in that she avoided what she knew would be another bit of unpleasantness for her cherished little ideas. Are you starting to get the idea just how deep this intellectual dishonesty goes from prescriptivists, ... , like yourself?

Yet she slavered over Harold Jacobson. Did you perhaps, for just a fleeting moment, wonder why, Merry?
0 Replies