Building a Database of Historical Sites of Worship.

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 03:47 pm
I am trying to put together a database of all man-built sites of worship across the globe in the year 1500.
That includes Temples, Churches, Mosques, Synagogues, Shrines - you name it. Anything that was built by people in order to serve a deity.
I am not doing this of whim but as a part of a greater research of the wealth of nations at that time.

I would appreciate any help I could get - As of now i've contacted UNSECO but to little avail.
If you know where I could find even partial information (one country, one continent) It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,688 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 03:58 pm
@yurisearch,
Interesting idea. I'd be looking at architectural history source books, or source websites. I guess that's an obvious idea Do you mean buildings/sites that were still standing in 1500, or construction begun or finished in 1500?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:15 pm
Check with the Vatican.
They can tell you where every Catholic church is, and when it was built.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 10:59 pm
Tourist boards. They are generally a wealth of information. Most countries will send you all kinds of free info.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:03 pm
Check with the mormons too. They seem to know a lot about other people's religions.
saab

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:54 pm
Here are links to all churches in Sweden. There you will be able to see when they were built.
The same for Denmark

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfabetisk_lista_%C3%B6ver_kyrkobyggnader_i_Sverige

http://www.reitoft.dk/kirker.html

Norway I only found a list of names of all churches in Norway. You have to look up every church individually.

http://www.tha.no/kirkerinorge-v2.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:35 am
@Ceili,
I have a family member who sent all our info to the mormons... and was quite wrong on several identies/points. I'm not saying not to check them, but am saying take all that as snippets of maybe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:42 am
Cathedrals could take centuries to build, or at least many years. Which is why I asked about the number, 1500.

The harder task here is for less noticible constructions of non-main 'religions' of their regions... or smaller shrines of main religions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:12 am

Medieval churches in Europe

Repertory of profiles of women's religious communities that existed between 400-1600 C.E.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 02:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Medieval chapels (in England)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:17 pm
Osso, no worries on the mormons, never used them myself but they seem to know a fair bit about people, don't know about the institutions...
I need a little bit of clarity on the subject, are you looking for places that were in use, or anything built for the purpose of, up until the 1500's
I was just in Ireland and I saw several ancient places, I doubt very much if they were in use, other than a curiosity during the 1500's. In Mexico and Guatemala, they seem to find buried temples every other day. Most of these would probably have been buried then too, but they were around...
0 Replies