Why has everyone failed to notice that Schwartzenegger . . .

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:34 am
has never done anything?

Other than body building and starring in movies, has he ever had a job?

While everyone over the age of 18 has experience administering their own lives, Herr Arnold seems to always have had a manager, which means that he has probably never controlled his own schedule or budgeted money.

Several years ago, I read that he had a degree in international economics from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, but on election day, I heard that he never finished high school.

Of course, celebrity biographies are mainly works of fiction: if you don't believe me, we're almost due for a new Suzanne Sommers bio which will completely contradict all written to date.

But, if Herr Arnold does have said degree from Madison, one of the leading universities in the country, than he is qualified in terms of theory to run what is continually billed as the fifth or sixth largest economy in the world.

Wait a minute! Herr Arnold, although a moderate Republican, is a member of the party that has at its core philosophy, laissez-faire. Why, then, would anyone think a Republican at the helm would be good for the economy?

Also, Herr Arnold is the same age I am: 56. He's starting a new career at a time I am being told I am too old to do the same. Maybe I should take steroids too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,796 • Replies: 33
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
Living in Mass, why do you care who the governor of California is?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:47 am
Quote:
Living in Mass, why do you care who the governor of California is?

Probably because plainoldme doesn't suffer from political myopia.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:47 am
Arnold has been an actor and body builder since he was a very young man and has been very succesful at it. Why would he have another job? He's been very busy.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:48 am
Why do you think, he's done nothing?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:51 am
Joe, please explain your response. A simple insult means nothing to me or anyone else who pretends like they give a sh-t.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
CJ, the entire world is fascinated with the subject! Maybe Palidrome can give her personal reasons.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:56 am
That and Bennifer and J-Lo. Whatever turns your crank, I guess.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:02 am
Why would I care about the governorship of California? Because I don't have my head in the sand. Because as a former journalist I am interested in sociology and voter behavior and the state of the nation. Because I live in a state headed by a man that I think is being groomed to succeed bush and I think, particularly since there is a bill in Congress to allow naturalized citizens to run for the presidency and to serve if elected, that Herr Arnold is also being groomed for national office. Because I have three adult children and two grandchildren and I would like the planet to last through their life times.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:05 am
Who's failed to notice what?

He's had businesses as a bricklayer and in real estate. He also has a business degree from U of WI and has run several foundations.

plainoldme wrote:
Several years ago, I read that he had a degree in international economics from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, but on election day, I heard that he never finished high school.

Is that his fault, the fault of the person that lied to you, or your's for believing the lie??

Quote:
Also, Herr Arnold is the same age I am: 56. He's starting a new career at a time I am being told I am too old to do the same. Maybe I should take steroids too.

Steriods didn't seem to be necessary for Wesley Clark but he's started a new career too and he's 59!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:08 am
Many people today have difficulty finding work. I was a little burned out from newspaper work when I first moved to New England and thought, because editing a paper is management, that I would like to shift careers and go into business. Of course I was told that I had no experience, despite the fact that I had to meet deadlines and organize both people and materials.

Body building is a lot like being the recepient of plastic surgery. It is a means of flattering one's ego which really does nothing to make a person employable. There is no real skill involved. It applies to nothing.

Starring in movies involves a little memory work. Period. Herr Arnold never directed. Had he directed, at least one could say that he has leadership skills and organizational abilities. So, we know that Herr Arnold has a memory. That is the only ability or talent that we can quantify. Memory has nothing to do with running a state: the governor can take notes and use a tape recorder and get along with a poor memory.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:14 am
Touchy, touchy, fishin! Do we know that he has a degree from Madison? And that business about me believing the person who lied to me? What's that about?

Newspapers are often the source of bad info. Just think of how many times you may have heard that Gene Shalit died. I heard it twice. He seems to be alive. I cited the Suzanne Sommers memoir series above. Whether or not Sommers actually wrote those bios is unknown but the life stories are markedly different.

As for work with foundations, well, that sort of thing is often largely ceremonial.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:23 am
plainoldme is distraught that Arnold is now governor of California.
He oir she should take aim at the system which allowed him to push out Davis.
Or is plainoldme anti-democratic???

However, I know how plain old me feels.

I too was distraught when a whoremonger named Clinton was elected President. But plainoldme should not despair. The fact that Clinton's best brains resided below his waist was his undoing.

If Arnold does not have the right stuff, he too will go down the drain but in the meanwhile, I am very much afraid plainoldme will just have to live with Arnold as we were forced to live with Bill until he finished his term.

Not that plainoldme can't complain about Arnold!!

I complained about Bill but it did no good. He lasted eight LONG years because my fellow citizens saw fit to re-elect him.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:35 am
The election of Arnold shows that people are two-faced. Here, massagatto has chosen, under yet another name, to bring Clinton into the picture. With Clinton, there was the matter that Monica was the aggressor in the relationship: she said so much herself many times. Some, like massagatto, make and continue to make what in my childhood were called "long fingers (shame signals)" at Clinton. People then voted for Herr Arnold when he, unlike Clinton, was the aggressor in unwanted sexual advances. Sigh!

After this, I will not respond to Italgo's comments.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:50 am
Schwarzenegger got a degree from degree the University of Wisconsin. Not Madison, but UW-Superior.

Schwarzenegger's education: big man on a little campus
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:55 am
Palindrome wrote:
Quote:
Why would I care about the governorship of California? Because I don't have my head in the sand. Because as a former journalist I am interested in sociology and voter behavior and the state of the nation. Because I live in a state headed by a man that I think is being groomed to succeed bush and I think, particularly since there is a bill in Congress to allow naturalized citizens to run for the presidency and to serve if elected, that Herr Arnold is also being groomed for national office. Because I have three adult children and two grandchildren and I would like the planet to last through their life times.

GOOD ANSWER PALINDROME!

Palindrome wrote:

Quote:

Body building is a lot like being the recepient of plastic surgery. It is a means of flattering one's ego which really does nothing to make a person employable. There is no real skill involved. It applies to nothing.

An activity like body building takes alot of hard work and focus. Competing is very time consuming, and to get to the level he did is extremely hard work. (with or without steroids) It sure made AS employable and hugely successful. For someone to take something like bodybuilding and turn it into the career he has now had takes, hard work, talent and intelligence. How can you say Body Building applies to nothing in this case. It got him where he is today!
Palindrome wrote:

Palindrome:
Quote:
Starring in movies involves a little memory work.. Period.

Wrong. You are mis-informed.
But but you are right that "movie acting" unto itself may not qualify someone for Gov.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:56 am
Quote:
The election of Arnold shows that people are two-faced.

I don't think this was a case of being two-faced, it was a clear rejection of liberal policies run amuck.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:07 pm
Since the deficit spending was the primary issue, I guess that would mean the national deficit is conservative policies run amuck.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:11 pm
Arnold will have to play advise and consent with the Democratic controlled legislature and other state officials -- he's likely to bend on liberal social issues to get his way on fiscal issues. This is going to make McClintock and Company hoping mad and it's going to be rather aborbing to watch it play out.

Anyone know how well Ahnold's bricklaying and real estate business actually did financially? He was cautious not to focus on any successes in past business dealings, merely saying he had "signed paychecks."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:13 pm
If Italgato were asked for a recipe for fried chicken, he/she would manage to work in a shot at Bill Clinton.

Hey -- that is his/her prerogative.

But Bill Clinton owes more to the Italgatos of the world than he does to his supporters. The Italgatos helped elect Bill Clinton the first time -- and they damn near insured that he would be re-elected.

I'm sure Bill Clinton, if he had the chance, would give a heartfelt "thank you" to Italgato.

I think Bill Clinton was an excellent president -- so I'll do it for him.

Thanks, Italgato.

I hope you work just as hard for Hillary when she runs.

It will take a strong, competent person like Hillary to straighten out the country after the bunch of morons now in power finish screwing it up.

She'll need your help.

And I for one, know you will give it.

In fact, I will thank you in advance for it.
0 Replies