Two of the most peculiar things

tintin

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:36 am
don't understand the para

Two of the most peculiar things about people are morality and culture.. Neither is unique to humans, but Homo sapiens have both in an abundance missing from other species. Indeed, that abundance"of concern for the well-being of others, (even unrelated others), and of finely crafted material objects both useful and ornamental"is seen by many as the mark of man, as what distinguishes humanity from mere beasts. How these human traits evolved is controversial

whats the meaning of "both in an abundance missing from other species" ?

and

whats the meaning of "abundance"of concern" ?

can somebody help me out ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 937 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aidan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:55 am
@tintin,
I think this: "both in an abundance missing from other species" means that both morality and culture are so immediately evident in the instance of the human species that by contrast their absence is somewhat glaringly obvious in other species.

"abundance"of concern" - the large amount of concern that man shows for the well-being of others - even those who are unrelated to him/her - is seen as something that identifies and distinguishes him from other species (along with craftmanship).
tintin

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:27 am
@aidan,
Thanks ....looks nice
aidan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:53 am
@tintin,
you're welcome and thank you - glad you found it helpful.
0 Replies