"O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous!"

Foofie

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 06:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you would have to be a very quiet obnoxious secular jew if you was to live here long...

To put your mind at rest, I would not even want to be "just passing through."

I would not want it on my conscience that I disturbed your little corner of heaven one iota, so to speak.
0 Replies

marsz

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:55 pm

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: anti-Semitism

Hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious group or "race." Although the term anti-Semitism has wide currency, it is regarded by some as a misnomer, implying discrimination against all Semites, including Arabs and other peoples who are not the targets of anti-Semitism as it is usually understood. In antiquity, hostility to the Jews emerged because of religious differences, a situation worsened as a result of the competition with Christianity. By the 4th century, Christians tended to see Jews as an alien people whose repudiation of Christ had condemned them to perpetual migration. Jews were denied citizenship and its rights in much of Europe in the Middle Ages (though some societies were more tolerant) or were forced to wear distinctive clothing, and there were forced expulsions of Jews from several regions in that period. Developed during the Middle Ages were many of the stereotypes of Jews (e.g., the blood libel, alleged greed, conspiracy against humankind) that have persisted into the modern era. The Enlightenment and the French Revolution brought a new religious freedom to Europe in the 18th century but did not reduce anti-Semitism, because Jews continued to be regarded as outsiders. In the 19th century violent discrimination intensified (see pogrom), and so-called "scientific racism" emerged, which based hostility to the Jews on their supposed biological characteristics and replaced religion as the primary basis for anti-Semitism. In the 20th century the economic and political dislocations caused by World War I intensified anti-Semitism, and racist anti-Semitism flourished in Nazi Germany. Nazi persecution of the Jews led to the Holocaust, in which an estimated six million Jews were exterminated. Despite the defeat of the Nazis in World War II, anti-Semitism remained a problem in many parts of the world into the 21st century.
For more information on anti-Semitism, visit Britannica.com
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:58 pm
@marsz,
you sellin' encyclopedias, Jack?
revel

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 05:32 am
I think those protesting the health care bill have gone beyond ridiculous to just plain belligerent. What's more it is not spontaneous but a planned strategy encouraged by talk radio and other conservative venues to disrupt dialouge so nothing can be heard.

Inspired By Glenn Beck, Protesters Overwhelm Town Hall Meeting With ‘Cat Calls’ And ‘Banging On Windows’

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 12:57 pm
@Rockhead,
Nope. Just cuttin' & pastin' from everywhere and everything.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 04:21 pm
Oh thank you, Lord, for making my enemies ridiculous.
0 Replies

marsz

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:20 am

Are health care protests legit or orchestrated?
Posted: 04:00 PM ET

(PHOTO CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES)

FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Depending on who you ask " the protests against health care reform may or may not be the real thing.

Democrats and the White House claim these sometimes rowdy protests that have disrupted meetings and health care events around the country are mostly orchestrated by insurers, lobbyists and Republican activists. They’re accusing the GOP of organizing “angry mobs” and trying to destroy President Obama.

Nancy Pelosi even claims protesters are “carrying swastikas and symbols like that” to these meetings.

But Republicans insists these protests are just a sign of real opposition and frustration about the president’s health care plan… they say the protests are part of a ground-level movement.

Republican Party Chairman Michael Steele says “We’re not inciting anyone to go out and disrupt anything.” Steele calls the Democrats’ claims “a bunch of baloney” and says there’s no upside for the Republican Party in the protests.

Meanwhile " a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll shows the nation is pretty evenly divided over the president’s health care plan " with 50-percent supporting it and 45-percent opposed.

The poll also shows that more than half of Americans have strong feelings about this debate… with one-third saying they strongly oppose Mr. Obama’s plans and 23-percent saying they strongly favor them. The poll also suggests that those against the president’s plan may be more motivated to attend town hall meetings than those who support it.

Here’s my question to you: Are the protests against health care reform grass roots democracy or orchestrated opposition?

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Billy from Las Vegas writes:
Michael Steele is full of baloney. These protests are no more “grass roots” than the so-called “tea parties” were. This is a well-financed, corporate-run campaign to disrupt any serious discussion of health care reform so the likes of United Healthcare, Blue Cross and the other “health care denial” companies can protect their business.

Charles writes:
The protesters at the town halls are real. I am sure a few are there to cause trouble, but a majority are furious about this obscene plan to socialize health care. Yesterday it came out that the plan would cover abortion on demand, making groups like Planned Parenthood rich and yet cutting service to seniors. Anyone looking at the plan should be outraged.

Arthur writes:
If this health care package is so great, why aren’t elected officials leading the way, joining the public plan and dumping their private plans? This is a grass roots movement because these elitists are giving us a horrible plan, one they are avoiding for themselves. Mob, indeed. That is insulting to the people taking part in their government and adding their opinion. Isn’t their health coverage paid for on our dime?

Charles from Lawrence, New Jersey writes:
These protests are political theater. The insurance industry has everything to lose with government run health care and will stop at nothing to prevent it. The GOP pursues politics and policy with the same “professionalism” because they are business cronies. Profiting from wants is the American way but profiting from needs is predatory dystopia run by corporate overlords.

Alexander from Lee’s Summit, Missouri writes:
It doesn’t matter if the protests are orchestrated or not, because either way they are legitimate. America was built on protests that were organized so I have no problem with the protests; the problem I do have is with the misbehavior of these protesters at the town hall meetings. Town halls are meant to share ideas, not to yell at those presenting them.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 12:30 am
I gotta answer foofie -
you don't understand Rockhead, far as I can see.

marsz - I take as a new embodiment.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 07:43 am
@marsz,
Not legit grass roots protest. The current health reform protest is being orchestrated by freedom works (and two other groups) chairman lobbyist Dick Armey who is in deep with the pharmaceutical companies . They have even admitted to pumping activist and say they can't send out a memo saying to "calm down."

And now it has taken an even uglier turn.

Quote:
The controversy over health care reform has taken an ugly turn, with Congressman Brad Miller (D-N.C.) telling a local TV news station that he is among hundreds of lawmakers who have received death threats over the proposed legislation, which he supports.

The caller was reportedly angry that Miller (in photo) was not holding a town hall meeting on the legislation, which aims to expand health care coverage to more Americans. Miller is among a growing number of lawmakers who are canceling those meetings, which have been the targets of disruptions orchestrated by corporate-funded advocacy groups Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks.

Miller's communication director LuAnn Canipe told the Charlotte weekly Creative Loafing that their office received "a slew" of angry calls, with one caller stating that "Miller could lose his life over this."

Reps. Heath Shuler and Larry Kissell, also North Carolina Democrats, are holding meetings on health care reform by teleconference, the Raleigh News & Observer reports.

The U.S. Capitol Police confirmed to Facing South that they are investigating a report of a death threat received by Miller's office. However, a spokesperson for the department would not confirm the claim that "hundreds" of such threats have been received, saying that's not something they can discuss with the because it's part of an ongoing investigation.

source

Pumping Up Turnout Of Town Hall Rallies!

FreedomWorks Board Member Has Vested Interest In Private Health Care Industry

Dick Armey Fighting Obama On Health Care Reform

FreedomWorks Orchestrates ‘Grassroots’ Movements To Serve Dick Armey’s Corporate Clients

The passions are so deep about this issue that we can’t send out an email that says “calm down.”
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 08:16 am
I forgot one more link to prove that it is not a spontaneous rabid protest that is going on right now in the town hall meetings.

Leaked Memo

0 Replies