Stray Spiral

snood

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 07:35 am
I am torn about the whole thing...
I mean, I remember always hearing the admonitions about "Never start feeding stray cats". The inherent sensibleness of those friendly warnings was always obvious to me - but then, here we are.

Several months ago, my wife noticed a couple of cute strays in the neighborhood - occasionally they'd wander past our back patio. She started leaving a small dish of cat food and a little dish of water. Gradually that progressed - the more cats that would show up, the larger the dish she'd leave... A couple mornings ago when I checked outside, there were 13 cats of myriad ages and sizes out there waiting for a meal. And a couple come to the front door, too.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/janblount/07-18-09_0723.jpg

Just for some perspective - Cheryl and I have 4 cats of our own who we dote on and who mean very much to us. And a couple of those kittens out there have begun recognizing me, and I have warmed up to them - one in particular I started joking about - "Well, you might be number Five!"

But we have absolutely all the cats we can handle, and Cheryl acknowledges that. The thing is,,we seem stuck with feeding an ever-growing population of strays. The animal control in this area is very poor. The only way out I've envisioned is to start conditioning them to go away by withdrawing the food and blasting them with water when they come around. Then they'd be gone - and no longer our problem.

But anyone who has a heart for animals will understand why that's not a solution we've jumped at yet.

I just don't know how to avoid the spiral that seems to have its inevitable end in us having a hundred cats at our door and being pronounced a neighborhood nuisance.

What a re-voltin' predicament.

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 07:41 am
Bring some over here. We can't keep 'em as the coyote and bobcat get 'em before long.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:25 am
@snood,
if you are going to keep feeding them, you might look into programs in your area to help with spaying and neutering them.

you could have a hundred before you know it.

good luck
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 11:50 am
don't have any direc advice snood, but be really careful about washing your hands after touching the strays.
You don't want to give your girls and boys anything.

Also...fleas coming in on pant legs...one flea on your kids and it'll turn into a nightmare very quickly.

It's expensive, but get some frontline or that other stuff and apply to your cats.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:00 pm
This article in the local paper this morning:

Quote:
No easy solution to combat Valley's feral cat problem
Animal activists push sterilization program

by Dustin Gardiner - Aug. 1, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Pam Kalish quietly reaches down to check the bait at the back of a trap.

"No cats," she says as she begins to scoop more tuna into a dish inside the rusted wire cage.

Suddenly, she is interrupted as the door on a nearby trap snaps shut and a sheet covering the crate begins to shake.

"We got one!" Kalish shouts. "He just went in. Did you hear that?"

Under the sheet, a frazzled kitten with shabby white and orange fur is lurching at the metal container. "It's a little guy," Kalish says.

She moves the cage out of sight and uses a flashlight to continue checking traps in a dark field near a Phoenix trailer park.

By the end of the night, Kalish and another volunteer from the Animal Defense League of Arizona caught 22 feral cats that will be sterilized and released back into the area near Baseline Road and 19th Avenue.

While it's not a perfect remedy, animal advocates are pushing the "Trap, Neuter, Return," program as the only humane solution to combat the Valley's growing feral-cat problem.

Experts estimate there are as many as 200,000 feral cats across the Valley, and those who work with them say the situation is getting worse. As Valley foreclosures increased, many residents left their pets behind.

"These cats just don't come out of nowhere . . . there's a lot of abandonment," said Kalish, a retired electrical engineer who traps cats several nights a week.

The problem is compounded by a lack of action by cities and by the county. Although leash laws call for Maricopa County Animal Care and Control and cities to pick up stray dogs, they don't say anything about cats, said agency spokeswoman Aprille Hollis.

"The problem is there are no state or county laws about stray cats," she said.

For $96, Animal Care and Control will impound and euthanize cats that are brought in, but Hollis said the agency encourages residents to use Trap, Neuter, Return, or TNR programs offered by the Animal Defense League of Arizona and another group called Altered Tails.

The groups generally ask volunteers to borrow traps, catch the cats and bring them into a sterilization clinic. But for some, the idea of releasing sterilized cats back into neighborhoods isn't a solution.

Since a neighbor began leaving food and water for stray cats, Marlene Barber of east Mesa said her yard has become a giant litter box, and she's overwhelmed by the stench. Barber estimates at least 30 feral cats have moved onto her block near Greenfield Road and Southern Avenue.

The city and county refuse to help, saying it's an issue for the homeowners association. And the Sunland Village HOA, won't take action against the man who feeds the cats, she said.

"Frankly, I think they need to be trapped and humanely euthanized," Barber said. "Everywhere we've turned for help, we're not getting anything."

TNR advocates say euthanizing is too expensive and will simply leave a void for another colony of feral cats to fill.

"It's going to cost buckets of money and it's not going to work," said Stephanie Nichols-Young, president of the Animal Defense League of Arizona.

Sterilizing the cats will also moderate some of their behaviors, causing them to roam less and not yowl or spray their territory, Nichols-Young said.

Nichols-Young said TNR is becoming more accepted as the only humane and effective solution to the feral-cat problem.

Since 2000, the number of feral cats captured and sterilized in the Valley has jumped nearly 1,000 percent, from 1,200 to over 13,000 last year, according to numbers from the Animal Defense League.

The numbers point to the need to change leash laws to include cats and allow the county and cities to act, some neighbors and animal-rights advocates say. Hollis said she thinks there would be widespread support based on the number of complaints Animal Care and Control receives.

And some advocates for TNR fear that unless government takes action or the economy improves, the Valley's feral-cat population will continue to grow exponentially.

"The problem is probably going to grow so much . . . we may have to write our Legislature," said Linda Baumgardner, director of Altered Tails' TNR program.

But even if Animal Care and Control picked up feral cats, Hollis said, the department doesn't have the resources to do the job.

In the end, Nichols-Young said it's up to residents to solve the problem, and sterilize the cats some neighbors will inevitably feed.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:25 pm
Wow, that seems to be a real problem, especially after reading the article
Tico has posted.

Snood, you have no other choice than to withhold food and water.
I know it's harder done than said - close the blinds so you don't have to see
them, eventually they'll move on.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Wow, that seems to be a real problem, especially after reading the article
Tico has posted.

Snood, you have no other choice than to withhold food and water.
I know it's harder done than said - close the blinds so you don't have to see
them, eventually they'll move on.

My only qualm with your solution is, it just passes the problem to another location. I would put out some have a heart traps and truck the captives to the stray animal place. Cruel, but often necessary.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
"Trap, Neuter, Return,"

This is the solution that Patiodog is involved in, and advocates. Of course, there are areas in which it is illegal to release animals into the wild, whether neutered, or not.

Snood, I got into the same situation when I was working. We had about 5 acres of stored materials and parked vehicles, and often had eight or more strays to be fed. Sometimes, it got down to one or two. Probably disease ran through the herd, but anyway, at times they just disappeared. I could never bring myself to stop feeding them, and for a few years my favorite housecat was a former stray. Some of them really are suitable for pets.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:11 pm
@roger,
Especially as some may be present or, more likely, former pets.

Expressing sympathy here, I don't know what I'd do. I suppose I'd ask P'Dog, and Roger indicates what his answer might be.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:36 pm
When I was a little girl, my mother whipped my ass with a wooden paddle because I was feeding a stray cat. She failed in her endeavor to beat kindness out of her kids because all five of us are huge suckers for stray cats. Over our adult lives, we have rescued many, many cats. I currently have three cats--a 14-year-old, a 13-year-old, and a 5-year-old. Our youngest is from a litter of kittens that a stray cat gave birth to in the neighbor's yard. We took her and her sister in after her brother was killed on a nearby highway (that broke my heart and I kick myself for not acting sooner to save those kittens). We found a good home for her sister.

Right now I'm feeding a stray. (Where's my mother with that damn wooden paddle?) I have two large automatic feeders and waterers in a sheltered area in the back yard and keep them filled. I can't help myself. I can't look away and ignore the plight of that poor homeless cat----but I can't take another into my home. Three is more than enough.

I wouldn't place the food and water containers on the back patio, however. I would place them in a secluded/sheltered area away from the house in order to keep both a physical and an emotional distance from the stray cats.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 06:39 pm
@snood,
I vote for TNR . . . if I have a vote. ;-) I'm like you, snood, I wouldn't be able to withhold food or spray them with a hose.

Whatever you do, don't try to pick them up to "trap" them yourself. I was recently bitten by a stray and had to go through not only many doses of antibiotics after the bite got infected, but also had to take the rabies vaccine (many shots over the course of a month) and immunoglobulin shots the day of the bite into the wound to immediately protect me against rabies.

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. And I never did get a little medallion or a certificate like my dogs do when they get vaccinated against rabies . . . . sheesh!

Seriously, though, good luck with the cats.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 06:52 pm
A simple solution that I am only mentioning, but not advising, is convert to being dog people. I can only believe that cats served a human purpose, so they were domesticated, to deal with mice/rats. Great if there is a plague, but without a plague, dogs serve so many purposes. Today there are even dogs that can protect children with a certain disease, since the dog knows the scent of when the child needs medication while sleeping. I am not sure humans would have had a continuous straight line advancement of civilization if dogs were not domesticated. They use their scent, hearing, speed, strength, bark for our benefit. Cats just chase mice/rats. Has anyone ever heard of a seeing-eye cat, or seen a sign: beware of cat?

Debra Law

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 07:57 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of a seeing-eye cat, or seen a sign: beware of cat?

My MIL is allergic to cats. Therefore, I keep three on duty at all times. Enough said.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 07:58 pm
@Foofie,
I have a beware of cat sign...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:32 pm
@Debra Law,
I'm allergic to cats....
which is why I don't have eleven myself, since I like them a lot.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:36 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie,
If we "owned" instead of "rented" we would have had our dog a year ago.
In defense of our cats it is easier to go away for a weekend and not worry about who will take care of them in our absense. :-)
Cheryl - Snood's loving, devoted, crazy wife. :-P
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:35 am
Cheryl wanted to comment after I let her read this thread, and she felt the need to defend our ownership of cats to Foofie.

Well, I took all the cat chow we had that we were feeding the strays and I threw it away. When I went out this morning to police up all the food and water dishes, there were 10 of them waiting out there to be fed. I intentionally splashed a couple of them with water from the water dish I was dumping, to encourage them to run away. The three very young ones who are most trusting of Cheryl and me just looked at me dumbly and hardly moved when the water splashed on them.

I closed the blinds, and I am going to try not to look out there any more for a while...

Geez I wish we had never fed them. It is a sad deal.
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 08:02 am
message to cheryl from chai

don't feel like you have to defend your relationship(s) with anyone/anything.

My husband has said that if he had a million dollars, he'd spend all his time taking care of cats and kittens.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 08:09 am
@snood,
Are there any TNR programs around you? A friend of mine locally is involved in one, and it really does seem to have calmed the situation in our neighbourhood.

She also makes arrangements for neighbours' un-neutered pet cats to be neutered - she pays for it herself at a clinic that gives her an enormous discount.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 04:28 pm
Last summer I was putting a new floor in my towns resturant, it's located dead center in a city of about 800 people...roughly 300 houses. We have a carwash across the street from the resturant, and it stays lit up very well all night long....it's a steady stream of cats prowling thru the area constantly.
I'd estimate that there are well over 1000 stray cats here....in an area less that one square mile.

One night around midnight, I was mixing mud or something....outside...my son was with me also....and we saw a cat walking down the middle of the highway, coming from the carwash....in a swaggering weaving style...as he got closer his face had no features....no eyes, no mouth..nose...ears...I think there was a Twilight Zone like that....anyway, very creepy....so I stopped what I was doing and walked...very..slowly toward the cat, who was headed our way. The boy of course started to walk right up to it, but I held him back....injured...I wasn't sure yet....animals can be very dangerous.

As we got closer, it turned it's head and I saw a solid bright red stripe down the entire side of it's "face"....so I assumed it had been hit by a car...glanced, and there was just not much face left to it....got really creeped out...as it was still winding it's way toward us....we both froze. Finally, it got close enough that we could see that it was a paper sack stuck on it's head, a very small one that the store sells some kind of Mexican thing in....chiquillos?....the bag is about the size of a small McDonalds french fry bag....the bag has a red stripe down the side....and fits a cats pointed head perfectly. So I told the boy to pull the bag off, he did and the cat bolted back toward the herd.

A few of us trap them, and take them to various barns outside of town...the farmers want them, but most fall prey to the coyotes I'm sure, as they are nearly as thick as the cats. The mayor has trapped over 100 cats out of his yard alone....I've captured so many that I've quit counting. My mom has a bunch of bird feeders, but for several years now, no birds...normally her backyard looks like a sanctuary, but the cats were killing everything....so this spring I went on a trapping spree, and all is finally back to normal.

TNR seems like a good idea, I'll check into that.
0 Replies