Shitzu Puppy

jodie34

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 05:30 pm
I am considering purchasing a Shitzu Puppy. Please share the experiences of having a Schitzu for a pet. Are they a good familly pet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,817 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:41 pm
@jodie34,
BBB knows about them, and perhaps some other a2kers..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:44 pm
Yes, they make great pets! We've had several of them - one purebred, the
others were mixed with something else. All of them came through a shelter
though . I would not buy a puppy as long as the shelters are full of them.

www.petfinder.com also has Shitzu puppies.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:53 am
Getting a puppy is the best way to go. The Shitzu have a reputation for being very slow, stubborn learners and I can verify that fact after being around BBB's dog for the last five months.

Her other dog took to learning how to shake hands, sit, walk properly on a leash, etc. The Shitzu and I are still working on the shaking hands bit. She finally figured out that if she just does a half-hearted lifting of the paw, that is enough to get some praise and a treat. It took five months of non-stop practice to make that progress. She about kills herself on the leash in her attempt to be the alpha dog and race ahead to the full length of the retractable leash. She learns what the words "wait" and "leave it" mean, and put it into practice for a day or two. Then, she suddenly has a case of forgets and we have to start over again from scratch and work our way up again.

They are very smart little dogs but only when being smart suits their purpose and it is something they want to do.

Start early training as soon as you get the puppy home. They take forever to house train.

All that said, they are fun little dogs, full of a personality that will keep you entertained for hours.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:59 am
@jodie34,
They are very smart, stubborn little dogs. As with many dog breeds, you have to put some time and energy into consistent training and discipline to get a dog that is a pleasure to live with.

I also think that it's a good idea to get a rescue Shitzu v one from a breeder or pet store. I admit I am biased that way.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 08:54 am
@Butrflynet,
In addition to Butrflynet's comments about Dolly, she's very affectionate and funny. She is a flirt and loves my MaddyBichon. they can't stand to be seperated from each other. They play together all day long unless they are sleeping. Dolly has learned to sing with me---if you can imagine howling as singing. She imitates the singing pattern I've taught her. Maddy hasn't learned to howl-sing yet, but he tries with musical barks. Butrflynet has learned to laugh at the doggies all day just as I do. I need all the laughs I can get as my age catches up with me.

BBB
0 Replies