Aerial Photos of Italian Farms Reveal Outline of An Ancient City

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:14 pm
Aerial Photos of Italian Farms Reveal Outline of An Ancient City

By Annalee Newitz, 11:00 AM on Thu Jul 30 2009

The Roman city of Altinum, progenitor to Venice, has been covered over by farmland for thousands of years. But when a drought thinned crops covering the city's ancient grid, scientists snapped photographs that revealed the town's vanished footprint.

Destroyed by Attila about 1500 years ago, Altinum was said to have been a gorgeous coastal city that bloomed with commerce and culture for centuries. Relics found in the area date the city's rise to roughly the 5th century BC. Inhabitants fled after its destruction, and the city has the odd honor of being the only ancient Roman city in Italy that was not buried by medieval or modern cities.

For that reason, the city was a perfect spot to conduct an experiment in discerning the outlines of ancient structures using ordinary and near-infrared aerial photography. The results, revealing the city's topography for the first time in over a millennium, are published today in Science.

According to Science:

The photos were taken during a severe drought in 2007, which made it possible to pick up the presence of stones, bricks or compacted solids beneath the surface. The results show that the city was surrounded by rivers and canals, including a large canal that cut through the city center, connecting it to the lagoon. Two gates or bridges were built into the walls encircling the city, providing further evidence of how the city's residents adapted to their amphibious surroundings.

In these images, you can see how the photographs of the farmlands show distinct outlines of roads and walls. Two other images show what those faint lines really were, according to the researchers; and where Altinum is relative to modern Venice.

via Science

http://bitcast-a.v1.sjc1.bitgravity.com/gawker/assets/images/8/2009/07/altinum2.jpg

http://bitcast-a.v1.sjc1.bitgravity.com/gawker/assets/images/8/2009/07/altinum.jpg

http://bitcast-ons.bitgravity.com/gawker/assets/images/8/2009/07/altinum3.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,849 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:46 pm
Wow, thanks for posting that, DJ. I love this kind of stuff. I worked for a guy once who was writing a paper on Roman roads in England. I found it fascinating.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:52 pm
@Mame,
One can only imagine what is yet to be discovered from our ancient past.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:53 pm
I love it, too! This is so interesting...
Letty

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:10 pm
@Eva,
That is fascinating, dj. Always loved archaeology. I guess all roads do lead to Rome.

I figured Venice would get our Eva here.
Mame

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:33 pm
@Letty,
Yeah, but where's our osso?
Eva

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
@Mame,
I'm sure she'll be here shortly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:41 pm
@Mame,
Here! This is fabulous...

I wonder what that semicircle is (looks like a theater..) and the big circle...
Letty

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:41 pm
@Mame,
Mame, Osso's Venice was in California. I wrote a poem for her painting once.
Letty

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops, missed your post, Osso
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:46 pm
@Letty,
True, Letty, but I'm also an italy nut. I didn't like Venice, Italy, all that much my one time there (long story) - not when I was busy being crazed over Rome - but over the years I've read many books about it and want to go back again.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 01:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Just found the amphitheater and basilica..
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:12 pm
They should do a similar flyover Burlosconi's properties as he boasted to a call girl that one of his villas had some underground Phoecian graves.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:26 pm
@talk72000,
I consider Berlusconi a proto idiot. To me, they should do a general flyover, excluding known areas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
Good find, DJ!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:12 pm
The outlines are plain in the photo! Glad you resurrected this thread!
0 Replies