reckon and think

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 03:24 am
upspeaking is a method of seeking affirmation of what has just been said. Dont you reckon? It seems to be particularily prevelent with teens.
contrex

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 03:42 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
upspeaking is a method of seeking affirmation of what has just been said.

Or of making sure the listener understood what has been just been said. Like when people say "okay?" after practically every sentence.

"I went to the station, okay? The train was late okay? So I bought a magazine okay? In it was an article about flying saucers okay? Area 51 okay?"

You get the idea. It is irritating because the speaker appears to have either insufficient confidence and/or communication skills, or is lacking in enough empathy, to adequately converse. Both traits common enough in teenagers, I guess.

JTT

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:38 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
AuE is a derivative of BrE. An offshoot. A branch. A subsidiary. A child. Does the parent "change" the child that it brings up, or does it "form" that child? Does the trunk "change" the branch? No. It gives it its basic form.

Now that's twaddle, Contrex, admittedly, some of your best ever. AuE is a dialect of English just as BrE is a dialect of English, nothing more nothing less.

By your reckonin', there's been a whole lot of inappropriate change from much older forms of English to the present form of BrE.
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:00 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
It is irritating because the speaker appears to have either insufficient confidence and/or communication skills, or is lacking in enough empathy, to adequately converse.

Let it be known that from this day forward, those that lack confidence and those that lack sufficient empathy [descriptive gradations to follow] are prohibited from speaking.
contrex

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:40 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Now that's twaddle, Contrex, admittedly, some of your best ever.

Thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:45 pm
@JTT,
JTT, for some reason you seem to have got on my case. Well, it's a free world, and God knows it would be boring if everybody thought the same way, but do you have to pick up every single little thing that I post? It makes you seem like a sort of autistically obsessed forum stalker, and does you no credit at all.

Passing to what you see fit to quote (I think) disapprovingly from my post -

Quote:
Let it be known that from this day forward, those that lack confidence and those that lack sufficient empathy [descriptive gradations to follow] are prohibited from speaking.

I don't see why I have to apologise for being irritated by dumbasses and iarticulate jerks.
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:33 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I don't see why I have to apologise for being irritated by dumbasses and iarticulate jerks.

I'm not on your case, Contrex. I've just been pointing out the silly things you've been expressing about language, the twaddle.

Language is there to serve all purposes. We have collocations that we use for every possible situation.

You were faulting AuE as if it's a measure less than BrE. You now realize that you were off the mark so you've struck a new posture rather than deal with the nonsense you posted. So be it.

0 Replies