5
   

reckon and think

 
 
dadpad
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 03:24 am
upspeaking is a method of seeking affirmation of what has just been said. Dont you reckon? It seems to be particularily prevelent with teens.
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 03:42 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
upspeaking is a method of seeking affirmation of what has just been said.


Or of making sure the listener understood what has been just been said. Like when people say "okay?" after practically every sentence.

"I went to the station, okay? The train was late okay? So I bought a magazine okay? In it was an article about flying saucers okay? Area 51 okay?"

You get the idea. It is irritating because the speaker appears to have either insufficient confidence and/or communication skills, or is lacking in enough empathy, to adequately converse. Both traits common enough in teenagers, I guess.

JTT
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 12:38 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
AuE is a derivative of BrE. An offshoot. A branch. A subsidiary. A child. Does the parent "change" the child that it brings up, or does it "form" that child? Does the trunk "change" the branch? No. It gives it its basic form.


Now that's twaddle, Contrex, admittedly, some of your best ever. AuE is a dialect of English just as BrE is a dialect of English, nothing more nothing less.

By your reckonin', there's been a whole lot of inappropriate change from much older forms of English to the present form of BrE.
JTT
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:00 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
It is irritating because the speaker appears to have either insufficient confidence and/or communication skills, or is lacking in enough empathy, to adequately converse.


Let it be known that from this day forward, those that lack confidence and those that lack sufficient empathy [descriptive gradations to follow] are prohibited from speaking.
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:40 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Now that's twaddle, Contrex, admittedly, some of your best ever.


Thanks Very Happy
0 Replies
 
contrex
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:45 pm
@JTT,
JTT, for some reason you seem to have got on my case. Well, it's a free world, and God knows it would be boring if everybody thought the same way, but do you have to pick up every single little thing that I post? It makes you seem like a sort of autistically obsessed forum stalker, and does you no credit at all.

Passing to what you see fit to quote (I think) disapprovingly from my post -

Quote:
Let it be known that from this day forward, those that lack confidence and those that lack sufficient empathy [descriptive gradations to follow] are prohibited from speaking.


I don't see why I have to apologise for being irritated by dumbasses and iarticulate jerks.
JTT
 
  1  
Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:33 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I don't see why I have to apologise for being irritated by dumbasses and iarticulate jerks.


I'm not on your case, Contrex. I've just been pointing out the silly things you've been expressing about language, the twaddle.

Language is there to serve all purposes. We have collocations that we use for every possible situation.

You were faulting AuE as if it's a measure less than BrE. You now realize that you were off the mark so you've struck a new posture rather than deal with the nonsense you posted. So be it.


0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

deal - Question by WBYeats
Drs. = female doctor? - Question by oristarA
Let pupils abandon spelling rules, says academic - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Please, I need help. - Question by imsak
Is this sentence grammatically correct? - Question by Sydney-Strock
"come from" - Question by mcook
 
  1. Forums
  2. » reckon and think
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/24/2020 at 02:00:56