The Baseball Thread

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:24 pm
@panzade,
in the '08 playoffs, he had the damage from of that wrist injury. It could be that because he wasn't on steroids then, that he couldn't heal fast enough..and it damged his swing and power.
panzade

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:26 pm
@Ragman,
could be...he just seemed...listless
Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:30 pm
@panzade,
Who knows?! Big Papi! Tainted!

Perhaps he "knew" he could be tested then? And then weaned off the 'roids around that time?

All this makes me sick. 86 years,..and these prima donas screw up the 'goose that laid the golden egg'. I say take away the MLB tax exemption...grandfather clause..what's it called?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 12:41 pm
@Region Philbis,
sorry..i misheard the news article on Big Poopi. Those .285 stats were in 2003. The article was unclear.

...but his stats in the last 6 weeks have improved and with power.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 02:39 pm
@Ragman,

poopy hit a go-ahead 3-run dinger in this afternoon's game.
not quite sure how i feel about it... Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 02:55 pm
The big papi thing is the final straw. I even have a picture of him standing with my little girl and she has a bright pink I love (heart) papi shirt on. Now how am I to explain this to her and her sister? Really so sad.

That's it - no more of these professional men's sports crap .... it has really soured me. Has any heard about the professional women's basketball league? My daughter's newest hero is a woman on the Sun's team - we went to see them a bit ago. I plan to start a discussion on this instead of baseball!
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 04:20 pm
big ploppy issued a statement after the game today --
Quote:
Ortiz, struggling through a slump that sent him to the bench earlier this season, declined to comment to the newspaper. But as reporters entered the Red Sox clubhouse after the game, they were handed a statement - on plain, white paper without the team logo - in which Ortiz said he was ''blindsided'' by the news.

''Based on the way I lived my life I'm surprised to learn I tested positive,'' the statement said. ''I will find out what I tested positive for. ... Based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with the club and the public. You know me - I will not hide and I will not make excuses.''
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2009/07/30/25657_recap.html?eref=sihpT1
i'm willing to reserve further judgement until the facts are revealed.

a bunch of players (minor leaguers, mostly) have tested positive for taking stuff they either thought was ok, or there was some other such misunderstanding, often involving a language barrier...
Ragman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:16 am
@Linkat,
I have no doubt about how crushing this is to everyone of us who invested their hearts AND minds to this person and team..and baseball for that matter. I can't even suggest focusing on the minior leagues teams. Why should they be any different about using PED? I just feel worse for the little kids such as Linkat's.

After the baseball strike (where the seasonn went down the drain), I had a final straw then, too.

I resolve the matter this way: I will drink from my final straw but not tell a soul about having one.

News Flash: Jose Canseco (whose book blew the lid off this steroid scandal) has been interviewed and said there is in HOF currently a HOF-er that used steroids.The signifcance of this is he/s been proven to be right in terms of his info -- more so than even the Fed Gov't's Mitchell Report.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:26 am
@Region Philbis,
Conspicuous in its absence in his statement is that he DID NOT say he didn't use steroids...just he was surprised to learn he tested positive. Is there a 'smoking syringe' somwhere?

Pssst: I hear the Red Sawx batboy's granny cheats at bingo.

The hits keep coming!
jespah

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:39 am
@Ragman,
There are an awful lot of Latino players getting implicated. Lots of connections to disgraced trainer Angel Presinal:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/02/22/ortiz_talks_about_trainer/

So, who else did Presinal work with?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:55 am

nomah made some interesting comments after the game.

he said in '03 there were some players who refused to be tested, but asked that they be marked positive for PED's
in an effort to push the results to the 5% mark, thus triggering future testing.

that's all well and good if the results were to be unanimous... oops.
Ragman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 08:20 am
@Region Philbis,
Anyone here old enough to remember the McCarthy era?

"The List"

Just heard that this testing was a 'survey' test so the MLB could get an idea of the scope of usage. The release of this court-sealed info is a crime, BTW. More details in the news later.

Imagine this scenario: a 'Deep Throat' NY reporter who hates Red Sawx and is pro-Yankees decides to leak this story to a NY Times reporter and then it hits the news wires. It wasn't enough tio incriminate Manny alone (he was already suspended 50 games), so this Deep Throat throws in Big Papi.

There could be some players who tested positive from '03 test that might not be steroid users. Big Papi MIGHT be one of those "few" who were legit. Just sayin'.
panzade

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 09:47 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
There could be some players who tested positive from '03 test that might not be steroid users. Big Papi MIGHT be one of those "few" who were legit. Just sayin'.

It occurs to me that the whole sham-ful '03 testing saga is so corrupt...somebody is using it to further their agenda....who?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 10:34 am

meanwhile, the game must go on.
expect the BoSawx to pull off a block-bustah this afternoon...
Quote:
The Boston Red Sox and the Cleveland Indians were discussing a three-way trade Thursday night that would send Victor Martinez to Boston, Clay Buchholz to Cleveland and prospects flying in all directions, according to clubs that spoke to both teams.

The Red Sox also would attempt to move recently acquired first baseman Adam LaRoche, either to a third team or in a companion deal, to make room for catcher/first baseman Martinez in their lineup, one source said.

The Red Sox have spent several days working on parallel deals with Toronto for Roy Halladay, San Diego for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and Cleveland for Martinez, but there were indications late Thursday and early Friday that they were making little or no headway with Toronto and San Diego, and that they were having trouble making the pieces fit with Cleveland.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4368061
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:47 am

padres asking price for A-Gonzo too steep.
looks like V Martinez will soon be a red sawk...
jespah

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 05:08 pm
@Region Philbis,
He and Casey Kotchman are now wearin' the carmine hose.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:05 pm
Wishing for Titán (A-Gon) to be a Red Sox.
Not that I care much for the Sox. I want him out of Petco Park and with decent line-up support.
Will they get both Víctor and Adrián?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:29 pm
I'll answer myself: No Sad
I guess Adrián is stuck as the only capable batter in Petco.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 05:19 am
@fbaezer,

they will undoubtedly trade AG over the winter...
chi-sox got peavy...
Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 09:38 am
@Region Philbis,
was reading 'bout him (mr gonzalez) in SI a while back, and I'm not so sure.

He is a bargain, and under contract.

Also a local hero with ties to TJ.

my guess is he stays a padre for a while yet...
0 Replies