For the first time I've done something smart!

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 03:15 pm
Prior to our our wonderful rain filled camping trip, we bought a brand new expensive camera. We have needed one as our old crappie camera finally broke and we had resorted to taking pictures with a phone for year.

Any way - we had a bad experience camping with thunderstorms, etc and it ended with this brand new camera rolling down a hill - slow motion - running after it - just missing it and following in the beautiful lake. Well it was destroyed. But I finally did a smart thing - I actually bought the extra warranty - it was a good thing too - it was more money to fix the damn thing we ruined it so bad than to replace it.

Hopefully we can have this camera for at least a week before we destroy it.

roger

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:50 pm
@Linkat,
Weeks before my hearing aid warranty expired, I inadvertantly ran it through the washer. It was covered.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:18 pm
It's always a good thing to destroy cameras. They could be the death of us.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
@Linkat,
Surely it's not the FIRST time you did something smart. Very Happy

I am glad you did that Linkat - I always wonder whether I should or not- I generally tend to be optimistic... though I have issues with camera's and expensive sunglasses. I can buy a piece of crap camera or pair of sunglasses and keep it forever - until it is out of style...but if I spend some decent money on something - I am going to sit on it or drop it in the ocean or something. Annoying.
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 07:26 pm
@mismi,
Consumers Reports has done a few features on the subject. Often, it turns out that the cost of the extended warranty is about equal to the cost of the typical repair. Usually, the extended warranty is carried by some third party, which isn't always conducive to consumer satisfaction. On some types of items, the extended warranties are a good idea.

I would check and find out which were worth the cost, but sadly, I let the subscription lapse. Seems there is a new marketing model out there, these past few years. Your application, especially in the fine print for online orders, includes an agreement to renew. Not to worry, though. You don't have to do a thing if they have your credit card on file. As a matter of fact, I talked to Chase MasterCard customer about this within the past week, in regard to Wired Magazine. It's going to go my way, and they tell me this is the biggest issue right now with their Dispute Department. I'm happy that I'm not the only one not rolling over for this practice.
mismi

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:42 am
@roger,
Quote:
I'm happy that I'm not the only one not rolling over for this practice.

Me too Roger. I hate that about some things I subscribe to. I will pass on it usually if they do that. Mainly because I know how busy I am - and they are counting on that - so they get that extra money and can claim it was legit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:48 am
@mismi,
I guess I was surprised because I usually do not buy that extra warranty - I've read it is a waste of money, but for some reason the salesman was able to convince us. So we did and we didn't have it for more than a couple of weeks. I guess if it something likely to break easily; something you would have around you outside and on trips and stuff, it is worthwhile (like a camera or sunglasses). Something just used in the house like an iron (yes I buy the $100 irons - they are so much better) is not worth it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:50 am
@roger,
I guess it depends on how good you are about ruining things - I am awesome at it - seeing the repair must have been several hundred bucks, if it was cheaper to just give us a new camera.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:53 am
@Linkat,
I'll have to keep that in mind. My default reaction to extended warranties is "NO!", but there are some items (cameras specifically included) that we use constantly and which would probably benefit from said warranty.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:59 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Consumers Reports has done a few features on the subject. Often, it turns out that the cost of the extended warranty is about equal to the cost of the typical repair. Usually, the extended warranty is carried by some third party, which isn't always conducive to consumer satisfaction. On some types of items, the extended warranties are a good idea.

It's never been a good deal for me personally the few times I have bought them, and all the times I didn't I've never regretted it. A Best Buy guy who would sell their warranties once confided to me that they "are for suckers."

I agree with that assessment in general (especially since people try to double your coverage and sell you warranties when you already have them), but Linkat's point about it being different if you break a lot of stuff makes sense to me.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:18 am
@DrewDad,
I've always considered extended warranties like insurance. You know the insurance company makes a profit and is going to come out ahead more often than it comes out behind. On stuff where I can "self insure" (afford to suck up the loss if it happens), I pass on insurance. That includes just about all home electronics purchases.
0 Replies