The Great Big A2K Fantasy Football Thread for 2009-2010!

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 07:29 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

ElStudHoncho wrote:
Don't forget....we won the regular season last year........

And you were doing fine until you ran into my 134 points in the semis, and you ended up in 4th place -- which, coincidentally, was where I finished the regular season.

But the trophy doesn't go to the winner of the regular season. Fantasy football is a marathon, not a sprint. You have to finish strong if you expect to carry home the hardware.

Second place was a good result for the Cycloteam last year, but this year - well, let's just say that I expect to see you in the playoffs, sir.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:43 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I could manage a 2nd A2K league if there is interest. I already commish a few leagues, so I'm familiar with the requirements.

I'll set it up tonight, and post the info here. Hope everyone is ok with Yahoo.

I too would be interested.

(And, if others would prefer the Yahoo format which is more familiar to most, I could set up the Steve Largent league on Yahoo instead.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:10 pm
Anyone here think that any NFL team will dare endure the PR disaster by picking up that nice young man from VA Tech? He, you will recall, was convicted and served time for running a dog fighting ring.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Anyone here think that any NFL team will dare endure the PR disaster by picking up that nice young man from VA Tech? He, you will recall, was convicted and served time for running a dog fighting ring.

I just can't imagine it. The sports world forgives wife beaters, cheats, liars, swindlers, dope runners, assault and battery, multiple DWI's, rape and manslaughter.

But I can't think of any cases where they have forgiven pedophilia or other child abuse or any form of animal abuse.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:22 pm
@Foxfyre,
Michael Vick is his name. When we get to putting together our drafts, you can name folks you positively don't want. He will be there on my list, along with a few other assholes.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
Picturing him picked up by a team with an animal's name...

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Or Cleveland.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
(I'm not getting it - duh.)

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:21 pm
@ossobuco,
The Cleveland mascot is "Brownie" or "Four Pound Puppies"--I couldn't figure out to copy the pics but here's the link:
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/kidszone/mascot.php

A Brown's foam head:
http://product.images.dreamsretail.com/62-00/62-00025-P.jpg

And they have a cheering section designated as the "Dawg Pound".

I just can't see the fans there (or anywhere) cheering when Michael Vick ran out onto the field.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:02 pm
He'll never be on the Puppies.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:13 pm
@jespah,
Or the Paws..

but, wait, I do leave room that the guy may change (or do I? I'm considering it), and he did to his time. I'm more immediately concerned re his doing his changing on a pro team.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:17 pm
I hear what you are saying, osso. MLBaseball has a long slog between college and the pro teams. Years in the minors, with no guarantees. I happen to know some of the guys on UVA's team, which made it into the final 8 or 4 this year. They, the seniors, earned meaningful degrees.
Potential NFL or NBA players go to college not to get an education, but to hone their skills for 4 years, or 2 or 1, and then make the leap to multi-million $$$ contracts.
Michael Vick was at VA Tech for 4 years. I don't know how much he did to earn a degree in anything, but they, the coaches, kept him under control (and profited from his talent).
And then they turned him loose where he was an innocent (or not so innocent) lamb who fell prey to some pretty hungry predators. They ate him and his millions of $$$ up. He went from a rising star to a very tainted bankrupt young man in just a few years.
It is indeed easy to blame him. But there is, it seems to me, plenty of blame to go around. And the same thing will happen again, and again.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
Tony Dungy went to visit him while he was incarcerated and spoke with him at length, in an attempt to put his head where it ought to be. it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:35 pm
@Rockhead,
Tony Dungy? I have heard the name but can't place him. Who is he?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
former Indianapolis Colts coach.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 07:03 am
with 14 teams, that means 28 QB's will be drafted. If Vick is better then someone else, it would be silly not to take him.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 08:56 am
Hmm, doesn't anyone think that maybe, after some time off and a brand new team, he might suck? I don't want him for a variety of reasons, his assholish behavior being only one. Heck, I don't remember him being that good.

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
The rumor of the day has Michael going to the Minnesota Vikings, who badly need a QB.
Let me see if I can get you to the article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution (I don't know how to do links). Go 1st to our A2K Yahoo site and click on Football 2009 on the left top. Drop down a couple of inches to Andy Behrens' article called something like Viking Vick. There you can link to the Atlanta paper's article. The link is in a paragraph at the bottom of a page about baseball.
You think A2K political threads can sometimes be brutal? Scan through the readers' comments at the end.
maporsche

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Hmm, doesn't anyone think that maybe, after some time off and a brand new team, he might suck? I don't want him for a variety of reasons, his assholish behavior being only one. Heck, I don't remember him being that good.

Cycloptichorn

He wasn't that good from an Atlanta Falcons win% stand point...but he was a top 10 fantasy QB (all those rushing yards/TDs).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 12:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
It sure didn't take the commission any time at all to reinstate his eligibility. But I think pro sports hasn't put a great deal of importance on public opinion about much of anything for some time now. They count on the fans sticking with them no matter what happens so long as the team is winning.
0 Replies