Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:34 am
@sozobe,
...but when you are 102 yrs of age, acclimitization is far more difficult with more repurcussions, which is my original point. In my youth perhaops untril 50, I was very tolerant of the extremes ..of weather in either direction. Now..less so.
sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:36 am
@Ragman,
No it wasn't. You didn't say anything about age originally.

From what I know, acclimatization is harder in terms of cold than heat for older people. Florida gets plenty hot and humid but my grandma and her elderly friends strongly preferred it to NY.
Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:44 am
@sozobe,
Sorry..you're right -- I didn't. However, it's in my profile and I've been around Abuzz and A2k for 10 yrs. I made a wrongful assumption that you might be familiar but that's ebcause I tend to recall details about regs. Of course, I realize others do not..

FYI, I'm 58 with obstructive cardiomyopathy (implanted defib/pacemaker) and moderate degenerative disk disease. iIt's not fun for me in heat and frigid temps. Hence my search for a reasonable climate w/o extremes. For example, Blytheville, Arkansas might be OK temps, but it has no economic engine to speak of.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:49 am
@sozobe,
You might like Humboldt County, CA, Ragman, at least by the bays or ocean. I lived in the Arcata, Eureka, McKinleyville, Trinidad area. Ferndale, about fifteen miles south of Eureka, is gorgeous, well.. to me. Some get depressed by all the gray days, just as some people do in Portland and Seattle and I suppose other similar areas in Oregon and Washington, but that really didn't get to me. I felt a little isolated re the big city - San Francisco was about four hours south with part of that a drive through the redwoods, but plane travel from Arcata airport was pretty reasonable at the time (no train).
sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:50 am
@Ragman,
OK... but your "original point" was not about where YOU want to move. It was "why would 'sane' people live in an area where for 3 months it's over 110 degrees steadily?"

Nothing about how old those insane people were or what your plans were.

Anyway. If what you're looking for is a good place for YOU to live rather than questioning the sanity of people who live in places where it gets very hot or very cold, I agree that most of the Californian coast would be good.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:53 am
Tomball's heat was the primary reason I had for going from 40 hour work weeks to twenty. It is only tolerable here, under semi-retirement conditions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:01 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Actually I'd play outside in the frozen tundra all the time when I was a kid.

Me, too. I grew up in Nebraska, and we played outside all the time in the winter. Sledding, snowball fights....

Moved to Austin when I was 10. Changed to water skiing and swimming.

I've said it before: Before air conditioning, people who lived in the South had to be insane. Nowadays, I consider people putting up with freezing winters to be insane.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:07 am
@Ragman,
Some definite Real Estate bargains out in CA right now. I don't know if it applies to the coastal regions, though.

My experience of Southern California in July suggests that you want to be within 20 miles or so of the coast, if you want moderate temperatures.

Equatorial areas eliminate extreme temperature swings, too, but your health care requirements would probably prevent you from moving to Costa Rica or Nicaragua.

There's always Hawaii, but I understand the cost of living is fairly high.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 10:10 am
@ossobuco,
Ah, well, the economy. Housing in those humboldt areas was way less expensive than in the SF bay area or LA - but what jobs there were usually weren't all that great paying. (There was a state university there and a lot of cultural activity). There are probably current statistics online. I'm here in albuquerque because I needed to downsize and couldn't afford to do that in California at the time, at least in any place that would have made any sense for me and my own constraints.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:07 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for your contribution reply. Why so edgy? In my mind 110 plus is unimaginable and weeks or months of it would blow me away. Simply put, you don't feel this way and you want to take me to task for being flip. Lighten up.

As does many threads, the focus shifts around the topic as we explore. People have given me some great input and for that I'm greatful.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 11:10 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

OK... but your "original point" was not about where YOU want to move. It was "why would 'sane' people live in an area where for 3 months it's over 110 degrees steadily?"

Nothing about how old those insane people were or what your plans were.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was scratching my head about what rags intentions were.

I didn't know it was about relocating or age.

People live on the equator, and at/ near the poles. (shrugs)

I still say San Diego, although that would get boring.

Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:13 pm
@chai2,
In retrospect, I can see how I might have added to the confusion by my shift of subject focus. Rolling Eyes

Yes, I think Sedona AZ is interesting...over say, the San Diego area. However, there's not much in the way of business in Sedona as it's in a slump, too.

However, no offense was meant to the 'crazies' who live in 100+ deg temperature regions like Phoenix. Many think it's crazy to live in upstate NY.
I tend to agree with this assessment which is why I'm researching. I'm trying to figure out where to make my nest in the next year or so . I wondered how people tolerate that sort of scorched earth. I saw a TV special where someone cracked an egg on the asphalt in Phoenix to see if the egg fries up. This triggered my sleep-deprived brain to post the question.

Thanks for your indulgence. Very Happy
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:56 pm
I live in Phoenix year round. Yes it's hot. Then again I go from A/C house to A/C car to A/C work (I wear a sweater because the air gets too cold indoors) then back to A/C car, to A/C house.

Movie theaters are very popular during the summer. Free A/C.

Could live like the 'Snowbirds' and come to AZ just between October and April. Beauitful weather then. Very Happy

Pretty much we have just two seasons... Summer and "spring"
0 Replies

Foofie
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:38 pm
I used to wonder what made people live in all parts of the U.S.

I came to the conclusion that many people just were born in that region, due to ancestors coming to that region for work, or to own some land, or because people of a similar background settled there.

People just have learned to tolerate the idiosyncracies of their respective region, I believe.

I personally do not understand how people in the South can tolerate the humid heat. Or, how people that live in the snowbelt can tolerate snow each winter.

There are probably few places on Earth with an ideal climate.

0 Replies

kozyavkina

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:43 am
people it is just simple placement
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:33 am
I moved to Florida to get away from the N.Y. winters. I find though, that the summers in Florida are far too long for my taste (June until mid-October), and much too humid.

I suppose that is why I like to go out to the southwest in the early fall, when is it still warm, but very dry.
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:41 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix, thanx for your reply.

I now have my 3 siblings retired on both coasts of FLA. I'm debating Sarasota to be near 2 of them. I feel as you stated that it's too hot and humid for far too long. Then there's those 'canes!

However, in my case, my selection of residence is far less flexible. Except for a annual short vacation for 1 week or 2, I'm forced by my finances and health limitations to stay put. Ideally, I'd float between Sedona AZ or NM's 4 corners and Shenandoah VA in so VA. Lots of possibilities exist when you have the mobility that decent finances and health allow.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:42 am
@Ragman,
I thought of you last night ragman

I had to pick up my husbands car at a garage that is right near where I work. I left my car there, and drove his home, intending to take the bus back up to my car.
Getting to the bus stop, apparantly I just missed my bus, so had to wait about half an hour for the next one for that route.

It was just after 6pm, and 103 degrees out, no trees or building to give shade, so I stood in the shade of a telephone pole. After a while I though "huh, this really isn't so bad" I mean, I wouldn't have wanted to be running around, but it was really ok. Maybe because since I've been taking yoga, which can really heat you up and make you sweat, I was used to it.

Anyway, I don't like summer, I don't like the heat, but I just thought it was interesting how acclimated I'd gotten.
Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:12 am
@chai2,
OK - that's a valuable anecdote for me. Standing in the shadow of a telephone pole is not my idea of heavenly-- more like in the other direction.
Now, if my memory serves me well (sneaker-gate thread), you are a jogger-exerciser, too, right? At what time of the day is your outdoor exercise? Or do you avoid aerobic exercise outdoors during temps of 85+ deg F?

Also a dietary question: do you eat much spicy foods...etc and/or curry?
boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:55 am
It is supposed to reach 105 here tomorrow. It was 103 yesterday. In Oregon. WTH?

Most houses, including mine, are not air conditioned.

We biouacked to the basement last night as it is impossible to sleep upstairs.

The newspaper has started listing all the drownings and near drowings as people try to escape the heat in the area rivers.

I know people think Oregonians are weather sissies but things get seriously bad here when it gets hot.
0 Replies