hearing amplifiers?

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:48 pm
@littlek,
That's what I need. A hearing aid with noise cancellation technology.

Okay, so I recently got a set of headphones with nc. They are just lovely.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:49 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for links, Soz.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:27 pm
I am so frustrated. My hearing continues to slowly decline. I'm having an MRI at the end of the summer to rule out a growth on the nerve of my left ear. I just emailed the Easter Seals for help. I continue to find it outrageous that hearing aids aren't covered by insurance companies.

I can't decide whether it would be bad or good to try to go through my school for help.
sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:35 pm
@littlek,
It IS outrageous!! I just had an outraged conversation with a friend who wears hearing aids about that. (Especially since cochlear implants often ARE covered... argh, don't get me started.)

Anyway, that's worth a try.

Your local department of rehabilitation might be good too if you need the hearing aids to work.

(If there is a growth, and it's removed, would that restore/ improve your hearing? Just wondering what to hope for re: the MRI.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:43 pm
In that case, I suppose I am fortunate. Since my hearing loss was caused by an accident and not "normal aging," insurances does cover 1/2 the cost of my hearing aids. The wording is "if caused by accident or illness."

Littlek, was there any specific incident or illness after which you realized your hearing had noticeably diminished?

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:15 pm
Soz, I don't "need" a cochlear implant. I'm at a moderate hearing loss. Maybe I could get one later. I also don't seem to qualify for financial aid as I make too much.

Eva, no accident. This is genetic although no one else has early hearing loss in my family.
Eva

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:38 pm
@littlek,
I'm sorry you're not getting any help for this, lil'k. Evil or Very Mad

I absolutely agree that insurance should cover this, same as prescription glasses/contact lenses.
littlek

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:48 pm
@Eva,
Every time I try to get through the mess of info I want to cry.

I've got a student who has fairly sever autism, she can barely speak in sentences, and I have to ask her to repeat words because I can't hear her. That makes me feel like crap.
sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:02 am
@littlek,
Oh, I'm definitely not recommending cochlear implants!! Just noting that it's annoying that they tend to be covered by insurance while hearing aids tend not to be.

Eva, from people I've talked to and my own experience that's pretty unusual. (Good for your insurance company though!) Perhaps my own experience was ambiguous enough that it didn't fall under the "accident or illness" thing, even though it was rapid onset and did not seem to be genetic. But insurance didn't cover mine (Department of Vocational Rehabilitation paid for 'em, thank you DVR).

Don't be so sure re: the financial aid, littlek... worth checking into anyway. The local DVR (or whatever the acronym is in your state) should be able to give you some resources even if they can't just shell out for the hearing aid (which they might be able to do).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:18 am
@littlek,
Aw, sorry it's so overwhelming.

Here's a start:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2terminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Disability+Services&L3=Vocational+Rehabilitation+Services&sid=Eeohhs2&b=terminalcontent&f=mrc_c_vr_services&csid=Eeohhs2

(Hearing aids would be under "assistive and/or rehabilitation technology.")

(You don't have Medicaid, do you?)

"Financial Assistance, Exchange and Recycling Programs for Hearing Aids and Assistive Technology"
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2terminal&L=6&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Disability+Services&L3=Services+by+Type+of+Disability&L4=Deaf%2c+Late-Deafened%2c+and+Hard+of+Hearing&L5=Assistive+Technology+and+Hearing+Ear+Dogs&sid=Eeohhs2&b=terminalcontent&f=mcdhh_c_at_financial_assistance&csid=Eeohhs2

(Lots of great resources on that one! Note, "recycling" isn't as gross as it sounds, you'd have to pay for a new ear mold but that's in the $50-$100 range rather than thousands.)

Hearing aid loan banks ("Hear Now" looks promising) + purchase plans/ financing:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2terminal&L=6&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Disability+Services&L3=Services+by+Type+of+Disability&L4=Deaf%2c+Late-Deafened%2c+and+Hard+of+Hearing&L5=Assistive+Technology+and+Hearing+Ear+Dogs&sid=Eeohhs2&b=terminalcontent&f=mcdhh_c_at_hearingaid_purchase&csid=Eeohhs2
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:37 am
Thanks So. You posted some of those links when the thread started and I have looked into a couple of them. Hear Now helps single person households with net income of around $17000. I make a net of around $26000.

I guess with the MA rehabilitation site, I should just call or email someone.
littlek

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:40 am
Interesting quote from the MA site (snipped up by me):

Quote:
On behalf of the Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (MCDHH), this testimony is presented to support of the intent of HB3598, an Act to Provide Coverage for Hearing Aids. As with any bill that mandates a new insurance benefit, it is necessary to find the proper balance between the benefit of the mandate and the cost to the health care system. As the Commissioner of MCDHH I know well the need for the benefit this bill will provide but the Administration has not yet analyzed the costs of this bill and I feel we must understand the costs to the system before making a final determination about the bill. I understand the Committee requested an analysis from the Division of Health Care Finance and Policy and I look forward to the findings from that cost impact review.

* One out of 10 Americans has a hearing loss
* 29% of people over age 65 have hearing loss
* However, the majority (65%) of people with hearing loss are below retirement age
* One out of eight 50-year-old Americans have hearing loss
* 15% of “baby-boomers” have hearing loss
* One out of 12 30-year-old Americans already has hearing loss
* And, of the 10 million Americans aged 45 to 64 who have a hearing loss, 6 out of 7 do not yet benefit from wearing hearing aids

The ASLA also stated that “all customer satisfaction with new hearing instruments is 77%, placing this product in the top third of products and services in the United States.” The message here is that a hearing aid can be an effective communication access device for a high percentage of users, but is inaccessible to many because of cost and because of lack of recognition as a treatment option.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 12:37 pm
This is a helpful thread, thanks all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 01:12 pm
@littlek,
Oops, shoulda read back, sorry.

Yeah, with this sort of thing just getting ahold of one helpful person in the know can get you everything else you need. (I don't mean me btw, but someone at the MA rehab dept for example.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 02:29 pm
You have nothing to be sorry for! It was you doing double the work!
0 Replies