Make it sound more like that of native E speaker

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:12 am
Let's not argue too much, Jordan. The horrible consequence of NK starvation was mainly due to Songun police played by Kim Jung Il, not caused by American embargo. Because of the Songun police, most of the international food aid went to be used by NK military force which only serves the dictator. You want evidence? For example: the recent atomic bomb and missile tests have cost NK 0.7 billion USD. With that amount of money, you can buy enough food to feed 10 million people for a year. The rest of the world, including China, all condemn the tests. Yet NK government continues its stupid Songun and let its people starve (right now!). It threatens UN to launch war... Got it Jordan? The suggestion of Nobel Peace Prize to Kim Jung Il is triggered by your overactive imagination.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 5
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:57 am
@oristarA,
Here's a little editing I would do. Hope others will chime in.

Let's not argue too much, Jordan. The horrible consequences of starvation in North Korea are mainly due to the Songun polic(y) instituted by Kim Jung Il. It was not caused by the American embargo.

The Songun policy dictated that most of the international food aid was to be used by the NK military force which only serves the dictator.

Do you want evidence? Well, For example: the recent atomic bomb and missile tests have cost NK 0.7 billion USD. With that amount of money you could buy enough food to feed 10 million people for a year. The rest of the world, including China, have all condemned the tests. Yet the NK government continues its stupid Songun policy and lets its people starve (right now!). It threatens the UN by promising to launch a war... Got it Jordan? The suggestion of giving a Nobel Peace Prize to Kim Jung Il is only triggered by your overactive imagination.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:48 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Let's not argue too much, Jordan. The horrible consequence of NK starvation in North Korea was mainly due to Kim Jung Il's Songun police played policy by Kim Jung Il, not caused by the American embargo. Because of the Songun police policy, most of the international food aid went to be used by the NK military, force which only serves the dictator. You want evidence? For example: the recent atomic bomb and missile tests have cost NK North Korea 0.7 billion USD 700 million dollars. With that amount of money, you can buy enough food to feed 10 million people for a year. The rest of the world, including China, all condemn the tests. Yet NK the North Korean government continues its stupid Songun policy, and let leaving its people to starve (right now!). It threatens the UN to launch with war... Got it Jordan? The suggestion of idea to give the Nobel Peace Prize to Kim Jung Il is triggered by your overactive imagination.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
0.7 billion dollars is ambiguous.
"Billion" can mean either a thousand million (U.S. meaning) or a million million (which I believe is the Brit version). If you use the US meaning, .7 billion is 700 million, and you'd be saying it costs $70 US to feed a person for a year. If you use the B rit version, you're saying it costs $70,000 to feed a person for a year. I tend to think neither figure is correct. The math appears to need reworking.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 03:39 pm
@oristarA,
Got a question for you oristar.

I've been reading about Hu Shuli, the founding editor of the magazine Caijing. Do you know of her?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 01:26 am
Thank you both for editing, Panzade and Robert Gentel.

MontereyJack,

Why is the figure correct? The average salary of NK workers is about 2 USD (or less, just 10 yuan RMB). $70 US to feed a person for a year is acceptable (or very good!) in the country. Because $70 US is about 490 yuan RMB, with which you can buy 490 jin (or 245 kg) rice (calculated at trade price). The amount of rice can feed an NKorean for a year. Right now. even in Pyongyang, the capital of NK, with its best life condition in the country, the ration is just 200g rice per day for a person/Pyongyang citizen (that is, starvation has begun again!)

==================

panzade,

I googled her out so I now know her. Smile
0 Replies