Oracle Corporation

fansy

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 06:08 pm
What does "Oracle" in Oracle Corporation mean? How did the founding fathers give the name of "Oracle" to their company?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 06:22 pm
@fansy,
The Oracle of Delphi used to provide answers to questions, or something like that. Sadly, the answers were so cryptic as to be useless - kind of like what you sometimes get around here. I have no idea why someone would use that name ir regards to a database.

The orgin is Greek, by the way.
George

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 08:38 pm
@fansy,
"Oracle" was the code name of a CIA project that the three founders (Ellison,
Miner, and Oates) had worked on together.
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 12:48 am
@George,
The rest is on a need to know basis.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 01:01 am
@roger,
Quote:
The Oracle of Delphi used to provide answers to questions [...] I have no idea why someone would use that name in regards to a database.

You really have no idea?

Anyway, the oracle of Delphi's pronouncements were, it seems, quite well understood by the temple priests who translated them into hexameters. People consulted the Delphic oracle on everything from important matters of public policy to personal affairs.

Quote:
In 594 BC, Solon, the Athenian lawgiver, seeking to capture the island of Salamis from Megara and Cirrha was told by the oracle:

First sacrifice to the warriors who once had their home in this island,
Whom now the rolling plain of fair Asopia covers,
Laid in the tombs of heroes with their faces turned to the sunset,

He did, and taking as volunteers 500 young Athenians whose ancestors came from Salamis, was successful in capturing the island, that was to prove so important in later Athenian history. Solon never ceased to support and give credit to the oracle for its support in declaring the island was originally Ionian.
oolongteasup

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 01:10 am
@contrex,
Gas, what Pythia taking?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 08:33 am
@George,
Quote:
"Oracle" was the code name of a CIA project that the three founders (Ellison,
Miner, and Oates) had worked on together.

I guess I should give you a reference for that:
http://www.oracle.com/profit/features/p27anniv_timeline.pdf
fansy

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:52 pm
@George,
I have found the very information that may prove the Chinese name given to Oracle Corporation is wrong.

Quote:
When CEO Lawrence J. Ellison and a few associates formed Oracle in 1977, they were out to prove wrong the prevailing theory that relationship databases could not be commercially viable.
Larry Ellison, Bob Miner and Ed Oates found Software Development Laboratories. Inspired by a research paper written in 1970 by an IBM researcher titled “A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks”, the three decide to build a new type of database called a relational database system. Their original project is for the government and is titled Oracle. The founders believe that Oracle, meaning source of wisdom, would be an appropriate name for their project and receive permission from the CIA to use it.
What's in a name?
In 1978, Software Development Laboratories moved from their office in Santa Clara to a new one on Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park, the heart of Silicon Valley. In an attempt to explain what their company does, they changed their name to Relational Software Inc., or RSI. The newly-christened company shipped its first commercial SQL-based database, V2, in 1979 (V1 was never officially released). In 1982 RSI changed its name to Oracle Systems Corporation, which later become Oracle Corporation.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 06:12 pm
@fansy,
You know, I once read someone's seven or so items that were required for a data base to be considered 'relational'. I understood each word, and didn't understand a single point.
0 Replies