So do more people blame Obama for the economy already? Does anyone regret voting for him?

Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:26 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
In order for one to regret a decision, the individual would have to believe that the rejected alternative would have, in retrospect, been a better choice. Or, in other words, for a voter to regret the decision to vote for Obama, that voter would have to believe that, all things considered, McCain would have been the better choice.

... unless one is a Democrat, in which case the alternative could be another Democratic candidate. I favored Obama strongly over McCain, but disfavored him moderately over Edwards. So far, his presidency has affirmed me in both of my preferences. But of course, I am neither an American nor a Democrat, so I haven't voted on either.

As to the economy, I'm not blaming Obama for it yet. But I think he misjudged the scope of the crisis and consequently tried to plug a $2+ trillion spending gap with a $800 billion spending program. Now that it's clear he did too little, he won't admit his mistake, and won't come back to Congress for more. I don't like that at all, and think Edwards would have brought more audacity of hope.
Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:27 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I voted for Obama but at the time I thought he was a white guy. Man I'm really sorry.

Obama is white -- he only has a black father.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:16 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
... unless one is a Democrat, in which case the alternative could be another Democratic candidate.

Not in the general election. I don't think too many people are reconsidering their vote for Obama in one of the primaries. Perhaps they are, but that battle is long over.
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:30 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I don't think too many people are reconsidering their vote for Obama in one of the primaries.

I voted for Clinton in the primaries, but I wouldn't be surprised if a growing number of people aren't wishing for a re-vote. But as you say, long over.
Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:34 am
@maporsche,
Not that much longer over than the general election. But -- fair enough.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:38 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

He was the best guy for the job ...

I don't know if I'd say that.

He was the best guy that had a chance of winning on November 4th.

Of course. I wasn't comparing him to all the unknown people in the world. Obviously if I were running then I would be the best guy for the job Wink
0 Replies