Any advice on being a manager?

Gilek

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:20 am
I'm about to become a shift-manager of a fast food restaurant.
Any advice?

Gargamel

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:31 am
Trash a shelf, scattering pots and pans, every now and then, to remind employees of your awesome power and how ill-advised it would be to cross you in any way whatsoever.
Mame

@Gilek,
Be fair.
Be calm.
Don't take sides.
Don't discuss one employee with another.
Encourage independent thought.
Praise employees regularly and sincerely.
Update the staff on new policies and methods.
Share and encourage discussion, suggestions.
Mame

@Gargamel,
Smile

0 Replies

Gilek

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:41 am
@Gargamel,
lol
Thanks Gargamel
I'll be sure to do that...
I must admit; it does sound like fun. Smile
0 Replies

Gilek

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:45 am
@Mame,
Hmm
That seems like the kind of managorial wisdom one would review every morning before work Mame. I've made note of it; thank-you.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:49 am
@Gilek,
Welcome to A2k. Nice to have you aboard.
I will try not to repeat the good suggestions others have made.

Some important service issues revolve around proper customer service and contact. Be sure that employees greet the customer properly by looking the customer in the eye, listen to their order properly and completely, act civilly at all times and double check the order (as well as the change). Thanking the customer as they leave EVERY TIME is an essential, too.

I feel doing these tasks insure adequate SERVICE that can lead to repeat customers. Be aware that about 90% of fast food places fail at least one of these areas consistantly. Succeed with your employees performing these tasks and you'll have repeat customers and show a successful track record to your upper mangement.

Always keep a list of priority work areas and tasks (for you as well as for employees), checking off 'to do' items.

Keep yourself aware of tasks and their timing.

Keepthe employees on task w/o micro-managing.

Verbally priase those that adhere to the tasks but address those that fail
in prvt when you can.

Adress the team about priorities and have team meetings often.

Good luck and good business to you. Let us know how it turns out.
Gilek

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:53 am
@Ragman,
Thanks Ragman and everyone else
I must go for now, but I will eagerly return to the post the next chance I get (Probably Monday or Tuesday). Good-day every one! Very Happy
sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 11:53 am
@Gilek,
Make sure your employees know what is expected of them.

Enforce rules consistently.

Don't make rules you can't enforce.

Keep a professional remove -- don't try to be a buddy. You can be fair, calm, etc. (I liked Mame's advice), while still being a boss.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 01:34 pm
@Gilek,
Keep in mind that the only difference in you as a person is one night's sleep. The difference in the perception of you is night and day.

If you had friends among the staff they may expect special favors. Don't do it, others will notice and your role is now one of manager, not friend. That doesn't mean you can't be friendly - no one likes a hard ass.

Expect to make mistakes -- you have new responsibilities and you should expect to have a learning curve. Expect your employees to make mistakes as well. Some will be new, others not so new but how you interact with others when things go wrong will go a long way in making for a positive work culture/environment.

Everyone works better/harder in a positive work culture. That doesn't mean a party atmosphere but getting folks to give their best is best achieved by implementing the things on Mame's list, particularly encouragement and fairness.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 02:33 pm
@JPB,
sheesh!
mm25075

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:01 pm
Keeps tabs on the reasons 'why' employees leave your business. Problem solve win win solutions to create employee loyalty. Saves a lot of $$$$$$ in time in recruiting and training new staff to meet the expectations you have of your resturant.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:08 pm
Try to catch them "Doing something right" as much as you can.

The more positive messages will encourage better behavior and make it much easier when you have to give less positive news and constructive criticisim.

People who don't have the knowledge can be trained/re-trained. Don't waste time on people with 'attitude' problems. Truth is you are going to get your share of people who are not cut out for the job better to get rid of them swiftly to avoid the morale havoc they can cause with dedicated employees.

Oh, and keep close tabs on your recruitment sources. See which sources generate employee loyalty (like over 2 months of employment) rather than just a large number of applicants.

Happier employees = Happier customers.

Congrats and good luck in your new job!

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:57 pm
@Ragman,
sheesh?
Mame

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 04:10 pm
@JPB,
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.
JPB

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 04:19 pm
@Mame,
<shrug>

my focus is for someone being promoted from within. Both staff and management have expectations of behavior for a swing manager. Those expectations differ depending on the position. Yesterday he was on one side of that line. Today or tomorrow he'll be on the other side. It isn't always an easy transition.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 04:28 pm
@JPB,
My sheesh was a sarcastic but light0hearted comment. I thought my list was useful. You guys didn't?
Mame

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 04:49 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, I thought they were all germane & useful.
mm25075

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 05:16 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yes, I thought they were all germane & useful.

me too! Some very good points!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 05:55 pm
Make cross-training a priority. During staff shortages due to sickness or successful marketing implementations, you'll be glad you had the foresight to be sure the staff was cross-trained and can step in at any station to cover for each other. While you are at it, be sure YOU have experienced working at each of the stations, even if only for a few hours, so you know what is required to do the job properly.

To inspire teamwork, rotate staff through various job duties every few weeks as part of the cross-training effort. This helps to eliminate the "not my area" attitudes, lessens staff boredom and gives you the opportunity of many fresh eyes working a station. Encourage and reward suggestions to improve productivity.

When accidents in the kitchen occur, make them a learning opportunity for the whole staff. Gather the folks around during a lull in orders to talk about the accident and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

Pick a couple people and start training them as your replacement for when your next promotion comes through.

Communicate with your staff. Tell them about upcoming events/changes so they can prepare themselves for them. Give them a schedule for any preliminary prep work needed.
0 Replies