complexion or overt racism?

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:38 am
A Huntington Valley swim club is facing accusations of racial discrimination after 65 children from a Northeast Philadelphia day camp claim they heard prejudicial remarks by club members and later had their club membership rescinded.

The children, kindgergarten through 7th graders who attend the Creative Steps, Inc. day camp, showed up to the pool at The Valley Swim Club on June 29.

While the campers were swimming, Alethea Wright, executive director of Creative Steps, said three children came up to her and said they heard club members asking what African Americans were doing at the club.

Repeated attempts to reach club President John Duesler and other club officers were unsuccessful. A Philadelphia Inquirer reporter was asked to leave the club premises when he asked for a comment. NBC 10 reported today that Duesler made the following statement: "There was concern that alot of kids would change the complexion .....and the atmosphere of the club."

Several days after the incident, Wright said the camp's $1,950 check in membership fees to the swim club was refunded, meaning the children no longer had access to the pool. She said Duesler did not provide a reason for the refund.
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20090708_Phila__camp_alleges_racism_at_Montco_swim_club.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,235 • Replies: 10
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:39 am
@dyslexia,
Or age discrimination. This club doesn't sound like a place where a lot of kids go. You would think they would have realized that at the time they signed up for membership, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:02 am
I vote overt racism.

Ick. Ick. Double ick. Triple ick. Ick.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:18 am
@boomerang,
How many Icks does covert racism warrant?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:18 am
Quote:
The Valley Swim Club is a nice Sunday morning jog from my house, and the type of people who make up the membership are the ones who joined to get away from all the Negroes who might pollute the city pools. So this story is not surprising. What’s surprising is how surprised everyone seems to be that this actually happened. Obviously they don’t read black blogs. And they certainly don’t keep up with the racism chasers. If they did, they would realize that we can’t keep up. Racism is all over the place, and chasing it is becoming just too damn hard.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/morning-skim-the-color-of-pool-water/
boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:37 am
@InfraBlue,
Covert racism rates more icks than I can fit on a page.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:37 am
@dyslexia,
Well, there goes my benefit of the doubt. I tried. Overt racism it is.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 05:19 am
Thanks, dys. I started to post this story but wanted to avoid accusations of racial muckracking.

Pretty disgusting stuff.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:03 am
I read in our major daily (the AGE newspaper) just recently that some schools (in the south?) still have seperate proms for white and African American kids? whites one night blacks the next

I was surprised, then not suprised really.

Have i been given wrong information or... could there be another reason ie violence rather than racism
djjd62

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:12 am
as despicable as this story is, the kids might have had a lucky escape

Teen pregnant after ‘swimming in pool’
from brit newspaper(?) The Sun
By HAYLEY DOYLE
Published: 09 Jul 2009

A WOMAN is suing an Egyptian hotel claiming her daughter got pregnant - from using the swimming pool.

Magdalena Kwiatkowska's 13-year-old returned to Poland from their holiday expecting a baby.

Magdalena believes the teenager conceived from stray sperm after taking a dip in the hotel's mixed pool. She is now seeking compensation from the hotel.

A travel industry source said: "The mother is adamant that her daughter didn't meet any boys while she was there.

"She is determined to go ahead with the case."

Tourist authorities in Warsaw, Poland, have confirmed they received the bizarre complaint.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:43 am
@dadpad,
Yeah, there was an article about that in the NYT magazine not too long ago.

Georgia:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24prom-t.html
0 Replies