Why do people continue to believe monstrous liars?

JTT

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:26 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Therefore, at present, the argument is mostly intuitive and theoretical, but I still assert that my intuitively based position is obviously correct.

Your 'intuition' is so distortedly jaundiced that logic doesn't figured into it. There's nothing theoretical about the immorality that caused the vast number of deaths in Iraq or Afghanistan or Nicaragua or El Salvador or Chile or Vietnam or ...
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:27 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

First an inane strawman, now you're defining the boundaries of the discussion to suit your own ends.

And you accuse others of intellectual dishonesty?

Raising a strawman means putting words in someone else's mouth and then criticizing them. In what way was my characterization of JTT's statement inaccurate? Calling it a strawman over and over without stating how is of no significance. You're just another liberal who choses to shift the discussion to the poster rather than debate the substance of his assertion. Either tell me in what way I raised a strawman, or withdraw.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:30 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Therefore, at present, the argument is mostly intuitive and theoretical, but I still assert that my intuitively based position is obviously correct.

Your 'intuition' is so distortedly jaundiced that logic doesn't figured into it. There's nothing theoretical about the immorality that caused the vast number of deaths in Iraq or Afghanistan or Nicaragua or El Salvador or Chile or Vietnam or ...

This is off topic. My assertion was that suspicions that someone is developing nukes are not a priori false, and I also asked you to speculate on the likely result of putting nukes in the hands of immoral crazies. You're changing the subject. Dispute what I actually said.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
Interesting the lengths you went to to avoid this,

"now you're defining the boundaries of the discussion to suit your own ends.

And you accuse others of intellectual dishonesty?"

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:43 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Interesting the lengths you went to to avoid this,

"now you're defining the boundaries of the discussion to suit your own ends.

And you accuse others of intellectual dishonesty?"

You said:

"We have a number of countries trying to scare their citizens into believing that Iran is developing nuclear weapons materiel. But no one seems to notice that it is those same countries that were so terribly wrong on Iraq."

I responded by asking you:

1. If you believed that claims that a country might be secretly developing nukes would always be false, and
2. What would likely happen if nukes fell into the hands of immoral crazies.

You reponded by making a series of off topic answers, such as by reminding me that the US dropped nuclear bombs on Japan, which is not an answer to either of my two questions. Either answer the questions, refuse to answer the questions, or tell me why I shouldn't have asked the questions. You will accomplish nothing by making off topic responses or changing the subject, because I will simply ask again.
JTT

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
No, I reminded you that some immoral crazies had already used nuclear weapons, TWICE, and that those same immoral crazies seek to develop even more destructive weapons of mass destruction and that those same immoral crazies have recently threatened to use nuclear weapons yet again.

You're both immoral and crazy. Immoral in that you actively provide support for these people and crazy that you think that the people of the world are always just going to sit back and take it.

You have no problem screaming about your right to self defense and you whine and cry about a measly few thousand people [in the grand scheme of world events] but you speak precious little about the latest tens of thousands of innocents who died because of lies, because of an overblown sense of paranoia, because of a sickening, overweening sense of self importance.

You are a walking, talking dictionary definition of intellectual dishonesty.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:36 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, then, according to you, no country with a bad ruler will ever actually try to develop nuclear weapons, and any such concern will always be unfounded?

This is clearly not what he said, and thus constitutes a strawman.

It also calls into question whether it's worthwhile having any conversation with you, since you are a) delusional, b) incapable of comprehending written English, or c) intellectually dishonest.

My money's on "c".
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
As usual, you make the only relevant response to my post. Your response is a valid counter-argument up to a point. We do have one data point - North Korea - and they haven't yet done anything with their weapons yet. However, I assert that it's undeniable that nuclear weapons are safer with relatively moral, relatively sane rulers than with immoral crazies.

Well, of course if your definition of "immoral crazy" includes people who would use nuclear weapons, then you're right. But the only person who has, to date, ordered the use of nuclear weapons in war was Harry Truman (as JTT pointed out and you obviously missed). So either Truman was an "immoral crazy," or else there's historical precedent for assuming that, on occasion, someone who is "relatively moral and relatively sane" will also drop the bomb, which makes your conclusion somewhat suspect.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 05:45 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

No, I reminded you that some immoral crazies had already used nuclear weapons, TWICE, and that those same immoral crazies seek to develop even more destructive weapons of mass destruction and that those same immoral crazies have recently threatened to use nuclear weapons yet again.

You're both immoral and crazy. Immoral in that you actively provide support for these people and crazy that you think that the people of the world are always just going to sit back and take it.

You have no problem screaming about your right to self defense and you whine and cry about a measly few thousand people [in the grand scheme of world events] but you speak precious little about the latest tens of thousands of innocents who died because of lies, because of an overblown sense of paranoia, because of a sickening, overweening sense of self importance.

You are a walking, talking dictionary definition of intellectual dishonesty.

What you've said doesn't address either of the two comments I made about your thread-opening post. It's simply not a relevant answer to what I asked. You originally asserted that the people trying to arouse concern about possible secret development of nuclear weapons by Iran were fear-mongers, and the same people who warned about Iraq. However, you didn't provide any information about Iran which would support the idea that there is no reason to suspect them of such weapons development. I asked you two question, neither of which you have responded to in the slightest.

1. Do you believe that warnings that some country may be developing nukes in secret will always be false, and
2. What do you think the likely result will be in general of allowing immoral and crazy national rulers to acquire nukes?

The point, of course, is that:

(1) such fears may in some cases be justified and so if you want to dismiss concerns about Iran you have to provide information about Iran and not act as though such fears are a priori invalid, and
(2) acquisition of nuclear weapons by immoral crazies is a greater risk than such acquisition by reasonably sane and reasonably moral people, and, as such, a very legitimate subject for real concern.

You have consistently refused to address what I actually said. Talking about the havoc the US wreaks in the world is not relevant to either of the questions I asked you. The fact that you have consistently given off-topic responses must lead to the suspicion that you are unable to support your position.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 05:55 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
So, then, according to you, no country with a bad ruler will ever actually try to develop nuclear weapons, and any such concern will always be unfounded?

This is clearly not what he said, and thus constitutes a strawman.

It also calls into question whether it's worthwhile having any conversation with you, since you are a) delusional, b) incapable of comprehending written English, or c) intellectually dishonest.

My money's on "c".

It was a reasonable characterization of what he said because he dismissed concerns over possible secret nuclear weapon development by Iran merely by characterizing it as fear-mongering and by association with the invasion of Iraq, but without any reference to events in Iran, as though such an allegation were a priori invalid without any need to actually analyze Iran.

To get back to the actual subject at hand, one cannot dismiss concerns about Iran's activities without any reference to events in Iran. The suspicion that a country, the rulers of which seem nuts and unstable, may have a secret WMD development program may be a valid subject for concern if supported by facts and cannot be dismissed without some reference to the actual details of the case, as though all such opinions were simply fear-mongering. The thread-opening post was not a logically sound criticism of the idea that Iran should be watched closely for secret WMD development. I am not saying that Iran is developing WMD, but JTT's post did not provide a reasonable argument against the idea that this is a legitimate subject for concern.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 05:58 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
As usual, you make the only relevant response to my post. Your response is a valid counter-argument up to a point. We do have one data point - North Korea - and they haven't yet done anything with their weapons yet. However, I assert that it's undeniable that nuclear weapons are safer with relatively moral, relatively sane rulers than with immoral crazies.

Well, of course if your definition of "immoral crazy" includes people who would use nuclear weapons, then you're right. But the only person who has, to date, ordered the use of nuclear weapons in war was Harry Truman (as JTT pointed out and you obviously missed). So either Truman was an "immoral crazy," or else there's historical precedent for assuming that, on occasion, someone who is "relatively moral and relatively sane" will also drop the bomb, which makes your conclusion somewhat suspect.

No it doesn't because I never alleged that people who are relatively moral and sane wouldn't use the bomb. I only alleged that people who are relatively immoral and insane are a greater threat, and that concern about their activities on this score can sometimes be legitimate, and cannot simply be dismissed without any reference to the facts of the case. Incidentally, I am not alleging that Iran is developing WMD, only that JTT's so-called argument on the subject is invalid, since it makes no reference to any details of Iran's activities.
Yankee

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:17 am
@JTT,
Quote:
We have a number of countries trying to scare their citizens into believing that Iran is developing nuclear weapons materiel.

Are you scared?

Do you have absolute proof if they are or are not developing nuclear weapons?

If they are, how does that threaten the security of the US?

What happened in the past is irrelevant.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 06:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
It was a reasonable characterization of what he said...

No, it wasn't.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:04 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
No, not a strawman; a direct response to what he said.

It was a strawman Brandon when you started off with... "so then according to you..." Your statement had little relation to what had been previously argued.

So then according to you Brandon, every evil dictator that gets nuclear weapons will use them. But we can easily knock down that argument by pointing to North Korea. So based on what you claim is NOT a strawman, I would have just defeated your argument.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 08:13 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
No it doesn't because I never alleged that people who are relatively moral and sane wouldn't use the bomb. I only alleged that people who are relatively immoral and insane are a greater threat, and that concern about their activities on this score can sometimes be legitimate, and cannot simply be dismissed without any reference to the facts of the case.

Again, the historical record does not bear you out:

Times moral and sane leaders used nuclear weapons: 2
Times immoral crazy leaders used nuclear weapons: 0

Of course, that's a rather small sample size. Still, it's worth noting that North Korea, with one of the batshit-looniest leaders on earth, hasn't used its nuclear weapons. It's also worth noting that the US has never renounced its right to the first use of nuclear weapons in any conflict -- something that even the Soviet Union did. If we're worried about countries reaching for the red button, perhaps we should concentrate on those that have made first use of nuclear weapons a key part of their military policy.
rabel22

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:28 am
@joefromchicago,
Holy molly Joe. Are you saying we should look to our own political policies before we preach morality to the rest of the world? Thats a radical thought. You must be a democrat!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:45 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
it's worth noting that North Korea, with one of the batshit-looniest leaders on earth, hasn't used its nuclear weapons.

The #1 reason immoral crazy leaders have not used their nuclear weapons is because moral and sane leaders have used nuclear weapons.
Immoral crazy leaders know full well what will happen if the use their nukes... their country will be targeted... they don't want this to happen.

Still, it's worth noting that immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists have no particular country that can be targeted in retaliation for their using a nuke. Immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists and their batshit-loony leaders must be targeted individually and dealt with BEFORE and prevented from acquiring nukes.

JTT

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:12 pm
@H2O MAN,
Speaking of immoral, crazy, monstrous liars and lo and behold, up pops h20man.

Just how deep the immorality went, I never realized.

Quote:
Plans for more atomic attacks on Japan

The United States expected to have another atomic bomb ready for use in the third week of August, with three more in September and a further three in October.[64] On August 10, Major General Leslie Groves, military director of the Manhattan Project, sent a memorandum to General of the Army George Marshall, Chief of Staff of the United States Army, in which he wrote that "the next bomb . . should be ready for delivery on the first suitable weather after 17 or August 18." On the same day, Marshall endorsed the memo with the comment, "It is not to be released over Japan without express authority from the President."[64] There was already discussion in the War Department about conserving the bombs in production until Operation Downfall, the projected invasion of Japan, had begun. "The problem now [August 13] is whether or not, assuming the Japanese do not capitulate, to continue dropping them every time one is made and shipped out there or whether to hold them . . . and then pour them all on in a reasonably short time. Not all in one day, but over a short period. And that also takes into consideration the target that we are after. In other words, should we not concentrate on targets that will be of the greatest assistance to an invasion rather than industry, morale, psychology, and the like? Nearer the tactical use rather than other use."[64]

Kinda blows all to hell that spurious notion that it was done to prevent the killings of large number of civilians.

Reminiscent of "we had to destroy that village to save it".
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 12:30 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
The #1 reason immoral crazy leaders have not used their nuclear weapons is because moral and sane leaders have used nuclear weapons.
Immoral crazy leaders know full well what will happen if the use their nukes... their country will be targeted... they don't want this to happen.

Well yeah, that's how nuclear deterrence works. Is this somehow news to you?

H2O MAN wrote:
Still, it's worth noting that immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists have no particular country that can be targeted in retaliation for their using a nuke.

Then you should be a strong advocate for giving immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists their own country.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Well yeah, that's how nuclear deterrence works. Is this somehow news to you?

H2O MAN wrote:
Still, it's worth noting that immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists have no particular country that can be targeted in retaliation for their using a nuke.

Then you should be a strong advocate for giving immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists their own country.

Deterrence: I was helping you because it was obvious that you failed to grasp the concept.

I am in favor of express lanes to paradise for immoral crazy Islamic extremist terrorists.
0 Replies