Why do people continue to believe monstrous liars?

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:12 am
We have a number of countries trying to scare their citizens into believing that Iran is developing nuclear weapons materiel. But no one seems to notice that it is those same countries that were so terribly wrong on Iraq. Wrong because they concocted a veil of lies so superficial that they even sickened a yes man like Colin Powell.

June 19, 2009

Iran elections: fraud claims and counter-claims analyzed

http://www.iranaffairs.com/

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:23 am
http://mideastreality.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:22 am
http://mideastreality.blogspot.com/2007/11/pakistan-dictatorships-and-global-war.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 02:50 am
@JTT,
Iran? Oh, perish the very thought.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:32 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

We have a number of countries trying to scare their citizens into believing that Iran is developing nuclear weapons materiel. But no one seems to notice that it is those same countries that were so terribly wrong on Iraq. Wrong because they concocted a veil of lies so superficial that they even sickened a yes man like Colin Powell....

So, then, according to you, no country with a bad ruler will ever actually try to develop nuclear weapons, and any such concern will always be unfounded? Tell me, what would be the consequences, do you think, if a country ruled by an immoral crazy ever actually did acquire nuclear weapons?
ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 05:34 am
@JTT,
The gratuitous slap at Colin Powell, a man who is on your side on this issue, is counter-productive.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Nice strawman.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:56 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Tell me, what would be the consequences, do you think, if a country ruled by an immoral crazy ever actually did acquire nuclear weapons?

They'd probably drop them on Japan.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:11 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
The gratuitous slap at Colin Powell, a man who is on your side on this issue ...

My side, my side? Are you attempting to distance yourself from Colin Powell? Why would you provide any kind of a defense for a man who lied through his teeth and then sat back and continues to sit back while innocents die?

Hardly the first time;
Quote:

Behind Colin Powell's Legend -- My Lai

By Robert Parry & Norman Solomon

The letter's troubling allegations were not well received at Americal headquarters. Maj. Powell undertook the assignment to review Glen's letter, but did so without questioning Glen or assigning anyone else to talk with him. Powell simply accepted a claim from Glen's superior officer that Glen was not close enough to the front lines to know what he was writing about, an assertion Glen denies.

After that cursory investigation, Powell drafted a response on Dec. 13, 1968. He admitted to no pattern of wrongdoing. Powell claimed that U.S. soldiers in Vietnam were taught to treat Vietnamese courteously and respectfully. The Americal troops also had gone through an hour-long course on how to treat prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions, Powell noted.

"There may be isolated cases of mistreatment of civilians and POWs," Powell wrote in 1968. But "this by no means reflects the general attitude throughout the Division." Indeed, Powell's memo faulted Glen for not complaining earlier and for failing to be more specific in his letter.

Powell reported back exactly what his superiors wanted to hear. "In direct refutation of this [Glen's] portrayal," Powell concluded, "is the fact that relations between Americal soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent."

Powell's findings, of course, were false. But it would take another Americal hero, an infantryman named Ron Ridenhour, to piece together the truth about the atrocity at My Lai. After returning to the United States, Ridenhour interviewed Americal comrades who had participated in the massacre.

MAM Hunts

Powell did include, however, a troubling recollection that belied his 1968 official denial of Glen's allegation that American soldiers "without provocation or justification shoot at the people themselves." After mentioning the My Lai massacre in My American Journey, Powell penned a partial justification of the Americal's brutality. In a chilling passage, Powell explained the routine practice of murdering unarmed male Vietnamese.

"I recall a phrase we used in the field, MAM, for military-age male," Powell wrote. "If a helo spotted a peasant in black pajamas who looked remotely suspicious, a possible MAM, the pilot would circle and fire in front of him. If he moved, his movement was judged evidence of hostile intent, and the next burst was not in front, but at him. Brutal? Maybe so. But an able battalion commander with whom I had served at Gelnhausen (West Germany), Lt. Col. Walter Pritchard, was killed by enemy sniper fire while observing MAMs from a helicopter. And Pritchard was only one of many. The kill-or-be-killed nature of combat tends to dull fine perceptions of right and wrong."

While it's certainly true that combat is brutal, mowing down unarmed civilians is not combat. It is, in fact, a war crime. Neither can the combat death of a fellow soldier be cited as an excuse to murder civilians. Disturbingly, that was precisely the rationalization that the My Lai killers cited in their own defense.

But returning home from Vietnam a second time in 1969, Powell had proved himself the consummate team player.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/archive/colin3.html

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:12 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Tell me, what would be the consequences, do you think, if a country ruled by an immoral crazy ever actually did acquire nuclear weapons?

Well, so far, not much.

http://nicedeb.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kimjongil.jpg

"I'm so rone-ry!"
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:32 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Nice strawman.

I don't think Brandon can be blamed for repeating this, DD. It is after all, what he was told by his government, by his vp and by his president, with supporting roles from other little minions. Who says propaganda doesn't work?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:54 am
@JTT,
I was referring to the part that started "So, then, according to you...."
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
The truth is so hard to find, it brings to mind a picture of a little kid hunting for a penny in one of those massive haystacks you see along the side of the road. Unfortunate though it may be, none of us are getting out of here alive; so whether you get hit by a bus, get cancer of the brain, die quietly in bed of old age ( I personally opt for this choice) or a nuclear disaster somewhere on our globe, what can we do either personally or collectively that will alter this particular reality?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:33 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Nice strawman.

No, not a strawman; a direct response to what he said. He suggests that the fear that Iran may be trying to develop nuclear weapons is unfounded, but doesn't justify the assertion with any evidence regarding Iran itself. He seems to be implying that Iran isn't trying to develop nuclear weapons by analogy with our experiences with Iraq, because Iraq didn't have them when we went in. The fact that Iraq didn't have them when we went in is no kind of evidence that Iran isn't trying to develop them. My point that the suspicion that a country may be trying to develop nukes is not always unfounded is directly relevant to his statement.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:34 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

They'd probably drop them on Japan.

Your response is not an answer to the query I posed.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Well, so far, not much.

http://nicedeb.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kimjongil.jpg

"I'm so rone-ry!"

As usual, you make the only relevant response to my post. Your response is a valid counter-argument up to a point. We do have one data point - North Korea - and they haven't yet done anything with their weapons yet. However, I assert that it's undeniable that nuclear weapons are safer with relatively moral, relatively sane rulers than with immoral crazies.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Nice strawman.

I don't think Brandon can be blamed for repeating this, DD. It is after all, what he was told by his government, by his vp and by his president, with supporting roles from other little minions. Who says propaganda doesn't work?

This statement of yours doesn't in any way disprove anything I said. If you disagree with me, argue your point. I doubt that you can make much progress in an actual on-topic argument with me, or that you have the guts to try.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 11:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
However, I assert that it's undeniable that nuclear weapons are safer with relatively moral, relatively sane rulers than with immoral crazies.

Go do a little research, Brandon. Count the number of people who have died from US incursions, from US support for right wing dictators, for US policies that have caused the deaths of untold numbers.

Compare them to your enemy du jour and you'll quickly see just who the immoral crazies are. You haven't even read any of the material at the links provided, have you?

The USA has certainly had its share of immoral crazies. Both Iraq and Afghanistan are simply the latest.

Immoral crazies used nuclear weapons twice on Japan, specifically targeting civilian populations. Before these war crimes took place, the US dropped fire bombs on Tokyo and other Japanese cities, again specifically targeting civilian populations.

Between 2 and 3 million people died in Vietnam, all because of a lie, perpetrated by who, a set of immoral crazies from the USA.

The list is long and sordid.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:24 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
However, I assert that it's undeniable that nuclear weapons are safer with relatively moral, relatively sane rulers than with immoral crazies.

Go do a little research, Brandon. Count the number of people who have died from US incursions, from US support for right wing dictators, for US policies that have caused the deaths of untold numbers.

Compare them to your enemy du jour and you'll quickly see just who the immoral crazies are. You haven't even read any of the material at the links provided, have you?

The USA has certainly had its share of immoral crazies. Both Iraq and Afghanistan are simply the latest.

Immoral crazies used nuclear weapons twice on Japan, specifically targeting civilian populations. Before these war crimes took place, the US dropped fire bombs on Tokyo and other Japanese cities, again specifically targeting civilian populations.

Between 2 and 3 million people died in Vietnam, all because of a lie, perpetrated by who, a set of immoral crazies from the USA.

The list is long and sordid.

Almost entirely irrelevant to my argument. I am only discussing the likely result when various people acquire nuclear weapons. I am not discussing conventional weapons. You seem incapable of responding on topic. My assertion is that it is much safer today for a country with relatively moral, relatively sane rulers to acquire nuclear weapons than for immoral crazies to acquire nuclear weapons. You find youself in the position of disputing this. Therefore, you are asserting either that nukes are equally safe in the hands of immoral crazies or more safe in the hands of immoral crazies. Some might say that my assertion is just on the face of it correct.

There are really not enough countries ruled by immoral crazies which have the bomb, NK being the only example I can think of, to support either position based on historical statistics. Therefore, at present, the argument is mostly intuitive and theoretical, but I still assert that my intuitively based position is obviously correct.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:48 am
@Brandon9000,
First an inane strawman, now you're defining the boundaries of the discussion to suit your own ends.

And you accuse others of intellectual dishonesty?