Pick your pickle poison

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:01 pm
What kind of pickles do you like and what do you like to eat them with?

I love bread and butter pickles and hamburger dill pickles, those are my two favorites for plain pickle snacking.

I used to work in this restaurant that served an appitizer with pate, sweet pickles, red onions, baby eggplant and bread. Yum! So many great combinations could be made from those ingredients but I especially loved the pate and sweet pickle combo.

What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 5,065 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:03 pm
@boomerang,
good old fashioned firm kosher dill. best with a grilled Ruebens. Yum, yum.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:05 pm
kosher dill...especially when they're floating in a barrel...bread and butter and sweeet gherkins

Claussen garlics are pretty good
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:07 pm
that pickle pate plate sounds amazing

i went to a vegetarian indian restaurant one time and they had a pickle plate that was amazing, they had these slices of what looked like pickled loofah, that were so friggin hot they brought sweat to your forehead the minute they were in your mouth
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:34 am
@boomerang,
We make a refrigerator sweetish and garlicky dill pickle. Its vera crunchy and goes well with reubens.
I like the little gherkins (cornichons) with pate and crispy bread.
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:51 am
Home-made dill pickles ... with garlic! Yum!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:56 am
@farmerman,
I like all pickles - sweet, dill, small large- I will and have chosen a big garlic dill pickle (from a barrel) for a snack instead of candy bars or twinkies since I was a child.I like all pickles - sweet, dill, small large- I will and have chosen a big garlic dill pickle (from a barrel) for a snack instead of candy bars or twinkies since I was a child.
But a wonderful new taste sensation I've discovered is: Branston pickle.

I completely ignored it on my ploughmans' platter (ham or cheese, crusty bread, butter, salad, onions, and apple and maybe grapes or something) for several months because I didn't know what it was, but one day I was making my simple little bread, butter, cheese and apple sandwich and someone asked me for my pickle if I wasn't going to use it and I thought - I should at least try it - and yeah - that's awesome.
Also good with ham, apple, and butter on a nice, crusty dense piece of good bread.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:42 am
@aidan,

pass me a pickle, please...
msolga

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:49 am
@Region Philbis,
But which type would you like, Region?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 11:44 am
@msolga,

yes!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 01:33 pm
I love homemade bread & butter pickles with just the right amount--not too much--sweetness and done to just the right amount of crispness and preferably pickled together with a bit of onion and sweet peppers. Some store bought are okay but can't compare to the homemade.

I don't want dill pickles on sandwiches or burgers but prefer cold, crisp dill gerkins on the side if I'm going to have dill.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 02:00 pm
A nice crisp dill. Can't stand the sweet ones - most likely because of :

I once ate almost a half jar of those sickenly sweet pickles when I was child. I then had a stomach ache (surprise surprise). My dad tried to help and gave me an alker selzer - immediately after I drank the thing down, I puked all over the floor. It helped - I felt much better. Dad cleaned it up. Ah sweet memories.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 02:00 pm
Oh and I remember those onions pickle things - I used to like them too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 02:14 pm
@boomerang,
Pickles?
Yes, thank you.

Why, yes I'll have another. And some of those too.

Vietnamese pickled carrots.
Syrian pickled turnips.
Bread and butter.
Onions - sweet.
Dill, half-sour.
Dill, full sour.
Fresh dill.
Garlic dill. I used to keep a gallon jar of them on the speaker I used as a night stand in university. Garlic dills make great midnight snacks.
Peperoncini.

What else ya got?

On the weekend, I took Set to Harvey's for July 4th. Burgers, eh.

He knew to ask for a side of their dills to be packaged up for me.
I always ask for their dills on the side. I eat them as an appetizer before the burger. Good with their fries too.

Do you want those pickles?

oooh, and we both really like the dill relish somebody makes
mm25075

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 04:49 pm
*cannot look at this thread without drooling*

kosher dill pickles...

I need a towel
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Syrian pickled turnips.

Oh yes, yes, yes! Love those pinkish, crunchy pickled turnips! (I. Oz they're a Lebanese specialty.)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:32 am
Funny I saw on the news last night this pickle guy in Boston common. It is called grillos pickles and they have a cart where they sell pickles.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gqQlJAKFowk/SkKFNpn8SsI/AAAAAAAAAWM/mLxGhKyEitg/s400/-2.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:55 pm
@boomerang,
This thread is like the oral version of an earworm.

It seems I'm now fascinated by pickles. I loved many of them before, but now, if there's a new pickle on offer, I've got to try it.

... and then there was Saturday morning, when I spent nearly 15 minutes talking about pickles with some random person in the grocery store. We were both roaming up and down in front of the shelves of pickles, trying to decide, trying to decide ...
boomerang

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Ha! The last time I was at the grocery I bought pickled okra and pickled green beans. I'd had them both before so it wasn't a new thing but it tasted new since I don't buy them often.

I've even done a bit of reading about the art of pickleing. I don't intend to do it but it is far more complicated and comprehensive than I thought.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 05:05 pm
@boomerang,
I am not going to take up pickling. Too much work. I can recall the hamburgers doing it at times. Lotsa work.

I'm trying to find a source for good sweet pickled cauliflower florets. I can't keep buying big jars of sweet mixed pickles just because I want the cauliflower and onions. The onions I sourced. Now ... the cauliflower florets ...