Big pickle, little pickle

JTT

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 10:53 pm
I love pickles and all things pickled. I've never tasted anything in this food "category" that I didn't like.

I resisted shiokara [salted, fermented squid guts] for the longest time just because of the idea but it is delicious.

What pickled things other than the usual North American fare did you have growing up. What pickled things have you tried from other cultures? There must be lots of 'em out there that I've missed.

Cheese [different kinds], pickles, sausage [different kinds], fresh bread and wine [different kinds]. One of my favorite meals.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,190 • Replies: 7
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 07:54 am
I, too, love pickles as much as you do. . . and, we as a family, often serve Marconi almonds, cornichons, olives, pate, cheese and either homemade French bread or good quality crackers as an appetizer. My daughter's mother-in-law thinks the combination is so good that she doesn't understand why we bother with a meal.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:01 am
went to a vegetarian Indian buffet lunch a few times when i lived in Toronto

they had some weird crunchy pickled things (they looked like slices of Luffa), that were very spicy but quite good
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:08 am
Quote:
What pickled things have you tried from other cultures? There must be lots of 'em out there that I've missed.

Pickled eels feet
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 08:42 am
@JTT,
I will alert Butrflynet to this post. She is raising in her new garden project to-be-pickles for canning.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
I don't consider pickled ginger or pickled garlic to be very exotic (re the U.S.) if at all, but I suppose they are out of the mainstream. I commonly eat peroncini (italian pickled small peppers). I've been known to use leftover juice from jarred pickled vegetables to throw in some fresh raw carrots, which gradually improve to me in the jar. (That hasn't killed me yet.) But, alas, I've tried no pickled squid guts; I'll keep my eye out for them.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's how to make shiokara, Osso. I guess that there's not just the guts in there. I always believed that it was solely the guts of squid.

I would think that you can get shiokara at any decent size Japanese food market in any large city.

http://kyotofoodie.com/chinmi-how-to-make-shiokara/
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:52 pm
@JTT,
Butrflynet has a wonderful pickles and relishes recipe book (including how to grow and can cucumbers to make pickles.) 150 recipes from apples to zucchini.

Pickles & Relishes by Andrea Chesmann - Storey Publishing. 1-800-793-9396.

BBB
0 Replies