7 US troops killed in Afghanistan

Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:34 pm
"KABUL (AP) - Bombs and bullets killed seven American troops throughout Afghanistan Monday, officials said, as thousands of U.S. Marines continued with their massive anti-Taliban offensive in the south.

A suicide car bomber also blew himself up outside the gate of the main NATO base in the region, killing two civilians and wounding 14 other people.

In an effort to protect Afghans, American troops also recently received new guidelines limiting use of airstrikes in order to minimize civilian casualties that threaten local support of foreign forces' presence. "

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99940U80&show_article=1

Great. Another Police Action like Iraq. Just what we need.

Shall we call this Obama's War?

Our troops should DIE so we can protect Afgan's and fight like little girls???

Send them all home now!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,444 • Replies: 29
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:40 pm
this should have been the war, but bush fucked up and decided to go to iraq instead

the taliban were the ones giving refuge to the enemy, you guys came in, scattered them around, claimed to have routed them and left a lot of coalition forces (including my canadian forces) to take the heat for 6 years or more while you pissed away a ton of money and resources in iraq
Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:51 pm
@djjd62,
No argument about Iraq.

Yet, why were the other remaining NATO forces unable or unwilling to finish the job?

Now, NATO and the Afgans want the US troops to do police work and be neat about it so we do not "hurt" the civilians?

This is no way to fight a war. This is a good way to get GI killed and injured.

7 today so far. Hope no Canadians or anyone else gets killed so the US can be "neat".
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:55 pm
@Yankee,
theoretically it was your war, we were there for support, you guys have more resources and equipment than most coalition forces

speaking for the canadians we were there as a support and rebuilding force, something we've done a good job at, but it's been tough fighting and trying to stabilize the infrastructure at the same time
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:02 pm
@djjd62,
the canadians have lost over 125 soldiers since the start of the war

and we report each one, and crowds of people line sections of the what has become known as the highway of heroes as the bodies are transported from a forces base to toronto

Highway of Heroes

On 24 August 2007, the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) announced that the stretch of Highway 401 between Glen Miller Road, in Trenton, and the intersection of the Don Valley Parkway and Highway 404, in Toronto, would bear the additional name Highway of Heroes, in honour of Canada's fallen soldiers (notably those who died on duty in Afghanistan), though Highway 401 in its entirety remains designated as the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway. This length of the freeway is often travelled by a convoy of vehicles carrying a fallen soldier's body, with his or her family, from CFB Trenton to the coroner's office at the Centre for Forensic Sciences in Toronto, and since 2002, when the first of Canada's fallen soldiers were returned from Afghanistan, crowds from communities along this part of the 401 lined the overpasses to pay their respects as convoys passed. Large signs and several smaller reassurance markers with the new designation have been added along the Highway of Heroes; similar to the older and discontinued M-C Freeway shields installed in the 1960s, the King's Highway shields, along with two shields with a poppy symbol (one with 401 designation and two with poppies with text Highway of Heroes and Autoroute des héros), appear after each on ramp along the route. The name's origins can be traced to June 25, 2007 when Toronto Sun columnist Joe Warmington first described people standing on Highway 401 bridges from Trenton to Toronto as a “Highway of Heroes” phenomenon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/Sep0707-highwayofheroes.jpg/200px-Sep0707-highwayofheroes.jpg

the war has not been popular with canadians who have balked at the price, but we don't turn our backs on returning soldiers who gave their lives for their and other countries freedom (yes that was aimed directly at you mr bush and cheney)
H2O MAN

@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

you guys have more resources and equipment than most coalition forces

Not for very much longer... you guys had better gear up and be ready to
shoulder more and more of the responsibilities because Obamanomics is
shrinking our ability to restock/replenish/replace what we have used.

Popular or not, the war against Islamic extremists terrorists will go on...
no matter what name you give it - it will go on.
0 Replies

Yankee

@djjd62,
Then get out. What is your govt doing leaving your brave troops there to die? For what? For who?

Has the world gone so politically correct that we will sacrifice the lives of soldiers to police activity native forces do not want to police?

Our war? Well maybe it was, but it was not handled properly from the beginning.

You can thank Bush and the entire US Congress (that would include Obama and Biden, kiddiess) for screwing up the execution in Afgan and Iraq.

Yet, it still goes on, does it not?
Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:04 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
yes that was aimed directly at you mr bush and cheney

Then I question your priorities. Tell the dead guys family about the sign being aimed at Bush. That is dumb.
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:07 pm
@Yankee,
personally i think that the war in afghanistan is a valid war, alqueda is still very much a threat and they are still very much intrenched on the borders of an unstable country, pakistan, who do possess weapons of mass destruction

now if mr bin laden ever did get a hold of one of pakistans nukes and he promissed to only use against america, on a day when the prevailing winds weren't blowing towards canada i might be persuaded to change my mind
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:08 pm
@Yankee,
i meant honouring the troops jackass, not trying to avoid the fact that there even were casualties, like b & c were so fond of doing
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:09 pm

Keep in mind the battle for Afghanistan is just that, a large battle in a much larger war.
Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:12 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
alqueda is still very much a threat

A threat to who? Pakistan? Let them fight their own war.

How does Afgan threaten the US or Canada.
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:16 pm
@Yankee,
maybe they don't pose a threat to anybody, but they have to the United States before, and they will again if given a chance
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:21 pm
@H2O MAN,
agreed, a very important battle

america may have missed it's chance by not pursuing the fight after they started it, if they could have paraded bin laden's head around on a pole some time in 2004 or so, they might have sent a strong message to fanatical islam (one the savages would have understood), but iraq squandered that and made the hatred even more intense
0 Replies

Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:24 pm
@djjd62,
So then we should eliminate the threat before it occurs, right?
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:29 pm
@Yankee,
oh, i'm sorry i thought you went to afghanistan because of 9/11, al queda, bin laden and the taliban who supported him

the taliban are still there, bin laden is still there, or at least his followers (let's face it, who knows if bin laden is alive or has been for years), os i figure the threat is still present and accounted for

Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:32 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
So then we should eliminate the threat before it occurs, right?

Answer the question.

You stated Afgan is a threat to the US.

Yes/No.

Take a pick.
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:38 pm
@Yankee,
i've made it abundantly clear that afghanistan was the staging ground for al queda operating with the full cooperation of the taliban

i'm tired of your crap, you guys fight or don't, as of now, the canadian mandate runs until 2011, the prime minister has stated he will not extend that deadline, if the battle is won by then, good for everybody, if not i guess we'll see

with any luck the only american killed in the next terrorist attack will be you
Yankee

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:47 pm
@djjd62,
No thanks. I fought my war long before you became an accidental result of a drunken evening.

I know you do not represent Canadian opinion. You be just another knucklehead in a chat room full of them.
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:08 pm
@Yankee,
never said i represented the views of all canadians, i stated the facts about the canadian case as i know them do be

anything else was my own oppinion

sorry, but neither my mother or father were drinkers

as for being a knucklehead, who knows, my views on the world are much like my views on art, i may not know much about, but i know what i like
0 Replies