William Randolph Hearst

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:40 am
Did William Randolph Hearst find art he wanted to buy in his own warehouse?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,709 • Replies: 4
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:53 am
@damangus,
http://www.shadycrest.org/Sermons/eph1d.htm

In His Commentary on the Book of Ephesians, Warren Wiersbe Tells a Story About William Randolph Hearst.

William Randolph Hearst Was a Billionaire Who Made His Fortune as a Newspaper Publisher. He Decided at One Point in His Life to Invest His Fortune in Great Works of Art. One Day He Read About a Very Valuable Piece of Art in an Art Magazine, and He Decided That He Wanted to Buy It. So, He Called His Agent and Sent Him All Over the World Trying to Find It. The Agent Searched for It All Over the World, But He Couldn’t Find It.

William Randolph Hearst Insisted That He Find the Piece of Art; So, He Sent Him Out Again. Finally, the Agent Returned and Said, "Mr. Hearst I Have Found the Valuable Piece of Art You Have Been Searching For. Mr. Hearst Said, "That is Wonderful Where Was It?" Then, the Agent Said, "It Was in Your Own Warehouse Sir; You Bought It Several Years Ago"

...are you a pastor?
damangus

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:57 am
@panzade,
I am a minister but I don't like to use illustrations without historical fact and although I have the story I cannot verify it and would love to know the name of the art pieces. Then I could show a picture of them to illustrate further. Thank you very much for that information by the way but do you know where I could find the proof of that story?
panzade

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:11 pm
@damangus,
Quote:
do you know where I could find the proof of that story?

no. It's an anecdote and it could be a made up parable for all I know
0 Replies

alan53

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 05:24 pm
When I can't verify a story after looking I tell the congregation I can't find it or refer to it as a "preacher's story" [one of those that sound good and you hope it's true but you can't find the sources.]

Hope this helps
Peace
Alan
0 Replies