Cheney most powerful V.P. in history. , is that good?

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:17 am
U.S. News and World Report Cover Story 10/13/03
The Man Behind The Curtain
Dick Cheney is the most powerful vice president in history. Is that good?
By Kenneth T. Walsh

On July 25, 2000, George W. Bush sat in an upstairs room of the governor's mansion in Austin watching Dick Cheney navigate his first television interview as the Republican vice presidential nominee. "Just mark my words," an admiring Bush gushed to an aide. "There will be a crisis in my administration, and Dick Cheney is exactly the man you want at your side in a crisis."

Over the past three difficult years, Richard Bruce Cheney has lived up to all of Bush's expectations. Not only has he served as Bush's right-hand man through the lesser tribulations of the presidency, but he has also been his most important counselor after the 9/11 attacks and during the war in Afghanistan and the occupation of Iraq. "He is the president's closest, most trusted confidential adviser, and he's also the president's closest and most trusted agent, the person who the president asks to take on various tough assignments," says a senior White House official. "It really is remarkable. I think there has never been a vice president who, [except for] a moment of physical incapacity of a president, has served as broadly and given such a strong assist to a president as Cheney. . . . Most of the relationship is hidden from public view because it is the relationship of a quiet subordinate to a superior."

"Skewed view." Today, however, Cheney is under fire as never before. His appearance last month on Meet the Press, in which he again linked Saddam Hussein and the terrorist attacks, drew stinging criticism, and even President Bush felt compelled to "clarify" Cheney's remarks. Last week, Cheney was touched by the furor over the leaked name of a CIA operative that has sparked a criminal investigation by the Justice Department (story, Page 18). Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican, told CNBC that Bush "has that main responsibility to see this through and see it through quickly, and that would include, if I was president, sitting down with my vice president and asking what he knows about it."

The finger-pointing has intensified because of growing disaffection with the administration's Iraq policy, especially the escalating casualties and financial costs. "The whole Iraq situation was filtered through Cheney, and he gave the president a very skewed view," says a former adviser to Bush's father who remains in close contact with officials in the current administration. A senior White House aide concedes that Cheney often makes policy recommendations based on worst-case scenarios.

The problem, according to some Republican insiders, is that Cheney reinforces the president's conservative instincts, pulling him to the right at a time when voters seem more interested in a centrist approach. A senior adviser to a former Republican president adds: "Cheney is not always right, but he's always certain. He and his allies thought they were invincible, that this would be the American century, that we could reshape the world any way we wanted to. Welcome to the real world."

Former Vice President Walter Mondale, who helped strengthen the modern vice presidency under Jimmy Carter, told U.S. News: "Cheney is very able, and he's spent a lot of years in government. . . . Bush has had none of that, and he doesn't seem to be energetically serious about mastering the central subjects. . . . If Bush is not filling those knowledge voids, somebody has to fill the vacuum"--and that appears to be Cheney.

For the complete story:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/031013/usnews/13cheney.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,414 • Replies: 25
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:20 am
Iraqi asks, "I just wonder why they make people hate th
BAGHDAD CONFIDENTIAL - U.S. News & World Report

"I just wonder ... why they make people hate them."
-- Amer, an Iraqi who had cheered arriving American troops in April, now has a different attitude

Iraq is slowly coming back to life. Baghdad's streets are again clogged with cars, children are heading to newly reopened schools, and local police are visible on the streets. But judging how the United States is doing here isn't simply a calculation of whether Iraqis' lives are getting better or worse. It requires also asking whether Iraqis are becoming more comfortable with the U.S. occupation as a means toward a desirable end.

Senior Editor Bay Fang looks at what is going right and what isn't:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15504a87344a170716372a6
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
Did you see the picture in the current ATLANTIC magazine of Cheney as a very young man, with Rumsfeld, not much older? Cheney was hired by Rumsfeld when he was a staffer for Nixon. The article quoted someone as saying "If you wanted to get something done, you went to Cheney."
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:02 pm
To me it is comforting know that if anything happens to Bush, we have a very capable man to take charge. That has rarely been the case----the VP was chosen for political reasons----not brains or capability.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:07 pm
I have the feeling that George Bush Sr. was as powerful as V.P. as Cheney is now.
Reagan-Bush was a winning tandem: the ideological communicator and the shrewd operator.
Bush-Cheney try to do the same, but it is a different ball game, since GWB lacks Reagan's charisma. Thus IMO, Cheney looks, but only looks. more powerful than Bush Sr. did.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:20 pm
Here's a photo of the two -- All eyes on Dick:

http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/sctour/A4256-04.jpg
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 03:00 pm
I was very impressed with Cheney when he was Sec/Def during the first Gulf war especially by his analytical and thoughtful answers during any kind of press conference or interview. I have seen nothing to change that opinion except----I don't like the unfavorable impression given by awarding of contracts in Iraq to his old company but then does anyone know of a company that is any more qualified to perform those contracts?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:06 pm
Yep...Darth Cheney must be one of the good guys...he has money, and he likes war. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:15 pm
I don't like him and I can't say all the reasons why. He doesn't look trustworthy, for one. His interviews are the worst -- I don't think he has thoughtful answers at all. He won't answer direct questions and he insinuates himself with the interviewer in a very creepy way. As far as I know, has NEVER said he was wrong about anything. I hated what he did in order to get on the Repub. slate, moving out of Texas so that his new home could be in Wyoming (yeah, I know he grew up there, but he hadn't LIVED there in years).

Somebody in Pullman, Washington, once ran on the ticket... I'm poor and honest. I promise to correct both of these, if elected. To me, that's Cheney, A guy who went to work for the government to become wealthy... how can he live with himself? He's not my favorite.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:58 pm
perception- You can always tell the people who don't like other people( like Cheney) because Cheney has money. Its called Status Envy and they usually dont have a pot to urinate in or a window to throw it out of.

Envy is the most deadly of the seven deadly sins.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
I have read many of Cheney's speeches. I never read one where he said he likes war. Does anyone know if he actually said that?

If so, when and where?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
Italgato wrote:

Envy is the most deadly of the seven deadly sins.

Hmmm actually, according to most penitentials, it's despair. Wink
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:02 pm
No, hobibob- It's envy. sorry- and status envy is the most consuming. However, the way to defeat status envy is to work hard, become successful and gather up the fruits of your labors. Then you can be in the position of being sniped at and being envied like Cheney is.

You can divide the world into two classes.

Class # 1- Those who have worked hard for their money and wish to keep most of it.

Class # 2- Those who are in favor of Redistribution of Income. That means- Give me some of yours, you have too much.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:48 pm
Italgato
Italgato, the worst sin is a pompous arse full of horse pucky. Rolling Eyes Mr. Green
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:57 am
Italgato

Your comments are all technically correct---especially the one asking the opposition to prove Cheney ever said he "liked war". Just more provocative meaningless rhetoric from the left.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:34 am
Let's see... work hard at garnering government contracts. Suck up to rich folk who will give you little bits. Make sure that you work at the very edge of legality. Suck up to foreign rich folk. Recognize that only wealthy people are worthy of your interest and make sure that your time in and around the executive office keeps them happy, because when they're happy, you make money.

Yeah, that's somebody who has worked hard for his money.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
And followed the conservative republican blueprint. What a guy! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:15 am
Hobit and Piffka

Laughing Now we're back to envy Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:19 am
Sir. I do have a pot to piss in. I also have standards and a firm belief in running the country without enriching oneself.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:23 am
Piffka wrote:
Sir. I do have a pot to piss in. I also have standards and a firm belief in running the country without enriching oneself.

Noble sentiments-----do I remember that you are/were a Clinton lover. How about the looting of the White House and Selling of the bedrooms to the highest bidder?
0 Replies