Same thing different name is my guess.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,762 • Replies: 11

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:35 pm
@Amigo,
from the definitions i just read, it would seem that it's those who are into traditional social liberalism, but also champion economic growth.

djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:47 pm
sort of reminds me of this canadian party

The Progressive Conservative Party of Canada (PC) (French: Parti progressiste-conservateur du Canada) (1942"2003) was a Canadian political party with a centre-right stance on economic issues and a centrist stance on social issues.

the eventually got taken over by american style conservative right wing nutjobs

peter mc kay, the man responsible, will be exiled from the country if i am ever elected prime minister

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:02 pm
@Amigo,
If you don't know what it's about, how do you know it's bullshit?

If you do know what it's about, why do you have to ask?
Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:57 pm
@Amigo,
The term neoliberalism first emerged in the 1920s and 30s. By this time, economists had clearly established that laissez faire policies can sometimes be detrimental to the general welfare, and that government interventions can sometimes improve on them. Specifically, economists identified over time the following instances of such market failure. Roughly in chronological order of their discovery:

• monopolies, which under laissez faire can overcharge consumers by creating an artificial shortage of them,
  • negative externalties (like environmental pollution) for which laissez faire charges their producers too little,
  • positive externalties, like basic research, which laissez faire provides insufficient incentives to produce,
  • failure of the laissez-faire gold standard to keep the economy at full employment. Stimulating demand, by printing money as monetarists suggested, or through government spending as Keynesians suggested, can be beneficial when the economy breaks down for lack of aggregate demand,
  • asymmetric information about products and services sold, creating the problems we see in markets like the ones for used cars, or for health care.

Some liberals liberals chose to ignore these limitations of the laissez faire doctrine, which they held dear and continued to advocate for. Hence, the more realistic and pragmatic liberals added the prefix neo to their name, to distinguish themselves from the plain, old-fashioned kind. That's what Webster means in its 1945 definition of the term neoliberal: "[A] liberal who de-emphasizes traditional liberal doctrines in order to seek progress by more pragmatic methods."

Since then, usage of the word has gotten sloppier and sloppier. Today, neoliberal has basically degenerated into a catch-all curse word that critics of free markets and free trade hurl at their opponents. That, in turn, arouses my contrarian instincts -- which is why I wear the term neoliberal as a badge of pride.

I hope, Amigo, that this answers your question.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:46 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Quote:
from the definitions i just read, it would seem that it's those who are into traditional social liberalism, but also champion economic growth.

I'm reading up on it and it's total bullshit.
Amigo

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:48 pm
Neoliberalism

THE RULE OF THE MARKET. Liberating "free" enterprise or private enterprise from any bonds imposed by the government (the state) no matter how much social damage this causes. Greater openness to international trade and investment, as in NAFTA. Reduce wages by de-unionizing workers and eliminating workers' rights that had been won over many years of struggle. No more price controls. All in all, total freedom of movement for capital, goods and services. To convince us this is good for us, they say "an unregulated market is the best way to increase economic growth, which will ultimately benefit everyone." It's like Reagan's "supply-side" and "trickle-down" economics -- but somehow the wealth didn't trickle down very much.

CUTTING PUBLIC EXPENDITURE FOR SOCIAL SERVICES like education and health care. REDUCING THE SAFETY-NET FOR THE POOR, and even maintenance of roads, bridges, water supply -- again in the name of reducing government's role. Of course, they don't oppose government subsidies and tax benefits for business.

DEREGULATION. Reduce government regulation of everything that could diminsh profits, including protecting the environmentand safety on the job.

PRIVATIZATION. Sell state-owned enterprises, goods and services to private investors. This includes banks, key industries, railroads, toll highways, electricity, schools, hospitals and even fresh water. Although usually done in the name of greater efficiency, which is often needed, privatization has mainly had the effect of concentrating wealth even more in a few hands and making the public pay even more for its needs.

ELIMINATING THE CONCEPT OF "THE PUBLIC GOOD" or "COMMUNITY" and replacing it with "individual responsibility." Pressuring the poorest people in a society to find solutions to their lack of health care, education and social security all by themselves -- then blaming them, if they fail, as "lazy."

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=376
Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:35 am
@Amigo,
... and so, you have answered your question by relying on the linguistic and historic authority of people who have no demonstrated competence in either field, but who share your ideological convictions. If this makes you happy, I'm happy for you -- but this approach will make it hard for you to communicate with anyone who doesn't share your ideological convictions.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 06:19 am
@Amigo,
Quote:
from the definitions i just read, it would seem that it's those
who are into traditional social liberalism, but also champion economic growth.

Amigo wrote:
Quote:
I'm reading up on it and it's total bullshit.

YES.
That is a superb definition of liberalism.
I usually refer to it as lying and cheating.

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:28 am
Laughing

If Amigo and David agree on something, it must be true.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:41 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
If you don't know what it's about, how do you know it's bullshit?

If you do know what it's about, why do you have to ask?

I'M RIGHT AGAIN!!!! I'm so good now I can guess and i'm right.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/39/a-primer-on-neoliberalism

Neoliberalism.... More scumbag ****!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:59 pm
Neoliberalism

http://www.bigpicture.tv/videos/watch/b3e3e393c
0 Replies