well my birthday is almost here, and all i can think about is college :(

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:37 pm
24. wow, waited 6 years since highschool for this day...

But i have the worst sense of dread ever.
I almost started crying, it was so intense..

i keep thinking no matter how hard i try im not gonna make it, my whole life keeps replaying in my head, and just get the feeling that fate might be real, and i just wont be able to overcome it and start college. like im in a desert (ghetto) and i keep seeing an oasis (college), but its really a mirage.=(

like the myth i heard about the man who had grapes above his head and water below but everytime he stopped or stood they retracted away from him. lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think its driving me insane.

its pretty bad. i always tried so hard, and i never won.

i didnt mind, but sometimes losing isnt an option, and i fear im gonna lose again.

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:39 pm
@OGIONIK,
well, the first failure happened.

july 2nd, i needed to apply by july 1st ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL!

well thats fine, i can start first thing next year. =D
ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:51 pm
@OGIONIK,
There's fear of failure and there's also fear of success.

It does seem that you put obstacles in your own dang way sometimes.

I wish you all the very best - because it's almost your birthday, you're a smart guy and if you let yourself be a success, I think you can really do it.
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:10 pm
@ehBeth,
i feel alot better after reading about the associate of arts requirements..

i mean wow! schoolwork was so fun! now i get to take classes on philosophy (anylitical thinking phil 102?)

LIFE AND PHYSICAL SCIENCES: 7 ___________
(Two courses from the following, one must
include a lab): AST, BIOL, CHEM 105 or above,
ENV, GEOG 103, 104, 117, GEOL, PHYS

WTF?

omfg..

if this is gonna happen ill be so happy..
spendius

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:18 pm
@OGIONIK,
Gee Ogi- and I thought you were a revolutionary. My cousin Georgina could have written that.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:18 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
well, the first failure happened.

july 2nd, i needed to apply by july 1st ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL!

well thats fine, i can start first thing next year. =D

My dad used to say to me: "accidents don't just 'happen', they are caused. "

If nothing else, it's usually failure to take actions to prevent the accident.

This is a good example, the failure didn't "happen", it was caused. Fix what is causing it, or you'll be doomed to repeat it.

Quote:
i keep thinking no matter how hard i try im not gonna make it, my whole life keeps replaying in my head, and just get the feeling that fate might be real, and i just wont be able to overcome it and start college. like im in a desert (ghetto) and i keep seeing an oasis (college), but its really a mirage.=(

Step number 1: Stop deluding yourself into thinking you try so "hard" and that things are so stacked against you. Just about every kid I knew growing up had it much much worse and tried much much harder.

You are one of the most fortunate people on earth. The overwhelming majority has it much worse than you do. Stop this self-pity and get off your ass! This wasn't caused by some cosmic injustice, you just procrastinated on the thing you claim matters to you the most.

And no, it's not fine, your lazy ass just lost another year. What do you think "seize the day" means? If college is your "oasis" you shouldn't have been anywhere near the deadline. You should have been applying when they first started accepting them.

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity...
To seize everything you ever wanted... One moment...
Would you capture it? Or just let it slip?"

Seize the day. You have nothing but yourself and your own excuses in front of you as an obstacle. Instead of explaining away to yourself why the failures "happen" make sure that they don't or that you overcome them when they do. But whatever you do, stop playing "poor me". That will only make you excuse your own failures and accept your lot in life. And yes, they aren't your parent's they aren't bad luck they are your failures now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:25 pm
@OGIONIK,
Ogi, I've been a fan of yours for a long time, but I've also gotten apoplectic at you, raging even recently. Bad behavior on my part, but, eh, I understand my take at the time.

You always seem ready to leap to 'what the **** - I can't do this' and expletive batches. You aren't graded on expletives, but that is what you are very used to.

Me, I think you should work on one or two courses, preferably one, and maybe take another on study habits. I never took a course on study habits, too busy, and it could have helped. Not all of college is creative play, you have to buckle up and learn stuff you don't give a damn about at the time, without throwing out exclamations all over the place.

Maybe I misread and you'll sail for the first bits - I hope you get involved in all the learning.

I know you have power of concentration aside from all the expletives - I hope you get into that, even if not fascinated at any given minute.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose this is obnoxious, but I await the first thread from Ogi on being bored.

A lot of boredom is about fear, though of course not all.

We can talk you through some of this if you don't just give up.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Just got that Ogi missed the deadline. Busy, you know. Can't draw a big date on the wall.

I'm not immune from being this way.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:54 pm
I've seen a llot of your posts, which are often sensible (there are others on a2k I can't say that about), but never anything before about college, so this may be completely not relevant, but I'm gonna try anyway.

I gather you missed the application deadline for a school, right? Artound Boston, at least, there are a lot of options that don't require long advance times. Don't know where you are, but , if you're near a large metropolitan area, you probably have some similar ones. Most colleges, even the most prestigious, have evening classes, taught by real professors, not TAs. You can often go to a class or two to see what it's like and still sign up then. So even if you procrastinate and put it off to the last minute, you might be able to find something good. If it's a reputable school, you can often get credit transferred for those courses to wherever you end up.

Community colleges often work similarly. You don't need to be in a program, or enrolled in the school to sign up for a course or two. And again if you take them for credit you can often get the credits transferred when you finally get it together to formally apply somewhere. And having a few courses with decent grades under your belt gives you confidence that you can hack it, gives you experience in actually DOING it rather than dreaming, isn't an immediate backbreaking change in your life, and gets you back into practice. It's also less of a financial drain, since you can probably finance them by working during the day--just drink a lot less beer and spend less time on videogames (I read your profile--may have to make some changes in that department).

Good luck. It's not too late.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:55 pm
sorry bub.

You could have been in college before.
You kept you out and you still keep you out.
its a choice.

make it or dont.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:57 pm
Think about online learning too. You can do it and drink beer at the same time. U. of Phoenix is supposed to be decent, I understand, and has a lot of offerings (I have no direct experience with them). And if you want prestige, MIT is working to put all its courses online, and I believe free, tho I don't know if they offer them for credit or just as a way to enrich your mind.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:59 pm
There is always late registration. Call the registration office and see. .

Time is passing - you are going to miss this opportunity if you don't stop talking yourself out of it.

Courage! Do you have it?

Geez - you are going to school - not getting married.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:13 pm
I'm a fan, often, of community college art classes, not that I'm all aware, but re the idea.

Me, I'd like to see Ogi make it through one class, no matter how heinious the teacher, before he tries to get through any kind of degree.

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:16 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

sorry bub.

You could have been in college before.
You kept you out and you still keep you out.
its a choice.

make it or dont.

umm, no i couldnt.

please explain how?

i tried, i went down to that ******* place like 4 times trying to figure out a way to get financial aid, when i turned 24 was the only way, period.

now im 24!

YAY!

well almost 24...

YAY!

do u see?

iono, i dont care.

reality sucks, too bad most people dont live in it.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:18 pm
Lots of places let you start in January.

Go look up the registration deadline now.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm a fan, often, of community college art classes, not that I'm all aware, but re the idea.

Me, I'd like to see Ogi make it through one class, no matter how heinious the teacher, before he tries to get through any kind of degree.

yeah but 1 class would take forever to get a degree and, umm, be hella boring.

and easy.

im going to take the lame classes first, i do everything with the lame stuff first.

iono why, should i take my art calsses first?

naw....

oh i cant make the deadline,the fafsa wont be applicable in time for fall classes. hence why i cant do fall this year. hence period, no way, impossible. unless i magically find alot of monies.

>.<

funny, people keep telling me that things which arent in my power to control in my current circumstances ARE in fact in my control.

iono..

something seems... odd.

like i should have psionic mind powers over other people or something.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:29 pm
@OGIONIK,
I don't care what class you take. I'd like to see if you can sustain being in one course.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:37 pm
@OGIONIK,
Degrees are built on study and gathered knowledge, unless they're just bought.. You want to do some kind of athletic leap for being you?

Oh, wait, you're bored already.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:40 pm
You are whinging, ogi. Stop it. Do you have ANY discretionary income at all? Stop pissing it away on videogames for awhile. Pay for a course yourself. They aren't that expensive. And like I said, MIT offers FREE COURSES. How much financial aid do you need for a free course, man. Looks like UC Berkeley does too. I googled "free college courses online:. Try it yourself. Here;s one of the hits.
http://education-portal.com/articles/Colleges_and_Universities_that_Offer_Free_Courses_Online.html

Take something that interests you--don't take the boring **** first.

Jeez, deadlines happen all thru the year. Prices are flexible, all the way down to free. What do we have to do--come and mug you and tie you up and throw you in the back seat of a car and drag you to an admissions office? Sit you in a chair, grab your index finger and type in a URL with it? Stop blaming the universe. DO SOMETHING.