Conn. Mother Convicted in Son's Suicide

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:40 am
By DIANE SCARPONI

MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) - A woman was convicted Monday of contributing to the suicide of her 12-year-old son, who hanged himself in his closet with a necktie after being picked on for months at school over his bad breath and body odor.

Judith Scruggs, 52, was found guilty of one count of risk of injury to a minor for creating a filthy home that prosecutors said prevented J. Daniel Scruggs from improving his hygiene. She faces up to 10 years in prison when she is sentenced next month.

The six-member jury cleared Scruggs of a second charge that accused her of failing to provide her son with proper medical and psychological care. She also was acquitted on a cruelty charge.Link to news article
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 811 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
This woman needs help, but it doesn't appear that prison would accomplish anything positive. From the description of her house, it appears that she probably is emotionallly disturbed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:22 am
As the stepmother of a 12-14 year old who refused to take baths or use deodorant (in spite of my urging, the urging of the psychiatrist who was treating him and the urging of the middle school guidance department) I have sympathy with this mother--to a point.

My stepson's "real" mother had a standard of housekeeping that was perhaps a half a step up from Ms. Scruggs level. She was meticulous about her personal grooming, but childish loyalities are not necessarily logical.

Her lack of housekeeping undoubtedly contributed to the problem, but she's mentally savvy enough to hold down two jobs, both on public view.

She should have insisted on some counselling.

I place equal or more blame with the school who did not stop the bullying and who did not help the mother deal with the situation.

A lot of people failed this kid.

0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:39 pm
I agree with Noddy in saying that the schools have a responsability to protect the children from bullies.
I feel that the school is more to blame than anyone for allowing this child to be a victim. I don't think the mother not cleaning her house would make a child kill himself, but children kill themselves all the time when they are being bullied in school. I can't believe this woman is going to jail for 10 years for having a messy house and because her son refused to shower!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:01 pm
I think we need to call Johnny Cochran and the gang...this is the most ludacris waste of tax payers money...We continue to fill our prisons with the disadvantaged..and the real criminals remain free..bloody amazing...what a country!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:02 pm
I hear that Willow. The woman loses her child and now has to live with the blame put upon her. We all better keep our damn houses clean and make sure our children shower even if we have to put a gun to their heads to make sure they get in there.
0 Replies