What do "they" refer to here?

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:13 am
In the context below, does "they're subjected to scientific study they don't work" mean "the people are subjected to scientific study that the dermatologists don't work"?

Context:
Robert Brodell, a professor of internal medicine and dermatology at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, says dermatologists have been using the treatment for about 20 years, but this is the first scientific study on the topic.

"Many dermatologists wait until there's evidence that something really works because there are a thousand things out there that people do and when they're subjected to scientific study they don't work," he says.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 523 • Replies: 17
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:18 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
"Many dermatologists wait until there's evidence that something really works because there are a thousand things out there that people do and when they're subjected to scientific study they don't work," he says.

A poorly written sentence Oristar. Much clearer would be
Quote:
"Many dermatologists wait until there's evidence that something really works because there are a thousand things out there that people do and when these REMEDIES are subjected to scientific study they don't work," he says.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:19 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
when they're subjected to scientific study they don't work,"

"they" refers to "the thousands of things people do"

when they {the thousands of things that people do} are subjected to scientific study they [the thousands of things people do} don't work
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:20 am
@oristarA,
It means:

There are a thousand things out there that people do and when those people are subjected to scientific study, the things that dermatologist thought would work turn out not to.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:16 am
@oristarA,
what doesn't work is the thousand things that people do.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:14 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

You need "does", not 'do', Oristar.

What does [the word] "they" refer to here?

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:15 pm
@JTT,
Isn't English silly?
JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:16 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:

Was this a report of the doctor's direct speech, Oristar?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:24 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

I should have mentioned that the meaning here is,

What do ["they"] [= "those people/some people" previously referenced] refer to here?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:27 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Isn't English silly?

I don't feel that way, Panzade. I find English, complicated as it is, to be endlessly fascinating.
oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:38 pm
Got it, thanks.
It is from USA Today's report.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I find English, complicated as it is, to be endlessly fascinating.

of course you do...and so do I, but you might agree with my sentiments more if you had learned it as a second language, as I did
JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:51 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
of course you do...and so do I, but you might agree with my sentiments more if you had learned it as a second language, as I did

Wow, whoda ever thought? Im pres sive !

As I've always said, the greatest impediment to the acquisition of a second language is a first language.
panzade

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:00 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
the greatest impediment to the acquisition of a second language is a first language.

That's so very true JTT , but what I always say is: The most effective catalyst for learning a second language is that four ten year-old boys are gonna kick your ass for talking with a Spanish accent.
JTT

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 11:32 pm
@panzade,
Can I ask, Panzade, how old were you when you started to learn English?
panzade

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:26 am
@JTT,
I was 8 when I started taking English classes at an academy called Toil Y Chat in Buenos Aires. We derisively called it Toilet Chat.
English is a very very difficult language to learn in a classroom, the pronunciation rules alone are so whimsical. I remember coming in second in a spelling bee in 4th grade because I misspelled Wednesday.

I did much better once I was immersed in the American culture. Like you, I think American English is a fascinating language, never more so than on Saturdays when I attempt the NY Times crossword puzzle.
JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:59 am
@panzade,
Quote:
English is a very very difficult language to learn in a classroom,

I agree given that many teachers have the imagination of a gnat. If you "teach" a language as it's "taught" to children in any language, that is, not taught but done, and this is vitally important, in as full and as rich a context as is possible in a classroom setting then it isn't difficult.

I've had kids of 6 to 15 playing a simple game of cards, using new to them, realistic native structures in under 15 minutes. They were learning the language in context, eg.

A: Do you have a five?

B: Nope, Unnuh, Naaahh, I don't.

OR

B: Yup, Yeah, Unhuh, I do.

A: Give it to me.

B: Okay, Okiedoki, here you go.

Virtually all simple structures/collocations can be demonstrated so that the language matches the context. Even the subjunctive, though I'm not suggesting that as a starting point.

Children up to 12 or so are masters at pronunciation. All they have to do is hear it enough times, from a competent speaker and they pretty much can't help but get it right.

How long were you immersed in American English and from what ages to what ages?

Were you "taught" that 'could' is the past tense of 'can', 'might' the past of 'may', 'should the past of 'shall', 'would' the past of 'will'?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 11:41 am
Were you "taught" that 'could' is the past tense of 'can', 'might' the past of 'may', 'should the past of 'shall', 'would' the past of 'will'?

Panzade, I'll move this to the "Really, modals are tenseless" thread and if you feel so inclined you can reply there.
0 Replies