How to read page 1724

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:57 am

I read page 1724 as page seventeen twenty four. Am I on the right track?

Context:
The genomes of eukaryotes, particularly algae, are providing more and more evidence for the workings of endosymbiosis, an evolutionary source of complex cell organization where one cell (the symbiont) comes to live within another (the host). Some of that evidence is expected, but other evolutionary findings emerging from genomes are unanticipated. On page 1724 of this issue, Moustafa et al. (1) uncover such an evolutionary surprise from diatom genomes. The results are likely to be controversial.

Institut für Botanik III, Heinrich-Heine Universitaet Duesseldorf, Universitaetsstrasse 1, 40225 Duesseldorf, Germany.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 498 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:59 am
@oristarA,

yes, "seventeen twenty four" is correct...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:01 am
Are you reading it aloud to an audience? If so, I'd advise saying "one thousand seven hundred twenty four." If you're just reading it in your head, I'd say it doesn't matter.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:14 am
@oristarA,
yeh seventeen twenty four is good. However the implication that this guy is at the "cutting edge" is bullshit. Lynn Margulis has several books published on the subject of how eukaryotes have acquired genomes of other organisms. Advanced techniques in multifactorial analysis and data mining have proved Margulis right. Shes ahead of this paper by 13 years.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 09:52 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Are you reading it aloud to an audience? If so, I'd advise saying "one thousand seven hundred twenty four."
i disagree, DD.
"seventeen twenty four" as spoken is easily understood...
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 10:11 am
@Region Philbis,
yeh, when you speak and , say people are taking notes (as in a lecture) sventeen twenty four is more easily assimilted and transmitted to notes than is :One thousand seven hundred twenty four"

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:09 am
Thank you all
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:41 am
@Region Philbis,
To each his own. How many people are going to write down "page 17" or "page 17-24"?

"One thousand seven hundred twenty four" is unambiguous.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:43 am
@DrewDad,
you dont get it, do you.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 08:56 am
@farmerman,
My phone number is six billion,one hundred five million ,fivehundred fifty six thousand,four hundred twenty five.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:02 am
@farmerman,
Reducto ad absurdum only works if you don't create a strawman.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:21 am
@DrewDad,
Well, how would you give out a phone number in a lecture? Then, when we agree that wed just recite a series of stright numbers, Id then ask when does that start? 2 numbers? 3? 4?. Id say four. I always present number data as the string of numbers with no hierarchies given, sort of like PI to several places. Its really all the same.

PS, I was kidding about not getting it, I always like to see a thread end in raucous conflict annd name calling. Im not good at it so I feel guilty about trying to bait aome response from you.
DAS TOOT MEER LITE.
0 Replies